Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: need mold recommendations

Boolit Bub

need mold recommendations

I have a XDs 45 that will NOT load 45 LSWCs. Will someone recommend a round nose mold about 200g for me to consider?

Thanks

moose

I use a Lee that drops a 200grain RFN, dont recall the Lee part number. Check out Lee's web site to find the part number. Both my 1911's eat these all day long and one of them my officers model is pretty picky about what it eats, it dont like SWC's either.

Boolit Grand Master

Is this the ejection problem or a failure to chamber? If failure to chamber, it
    may be fixable for SWCs. If it is the early "pre bump" gun extract/eject problem,
    then the RN or RF is the solution.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Think it is a failure to chamber. It seems that the ramp on the XDs is too steep. I ordered a Mihec mold but it is a SWC. I sent email asking if I could change order to round nose... but have not heard anything back.

Thanks

moose

Banned

seat deeper, thats all!

I shoot these all day long

Shoot these lees all day long

What I used to make and sell for the XD and Glocks was the Magma 200 grain RNFP. By the looks of it the Lee 200 is similar. Good shooting bullet and the thin crimp grove is covered by the case when seated. Shot as well as the 200 SWC as far as I could tell and has better killing power IMHO. Needed to come up with an alternative seat die stem as the government profile RN stem or SWC stem don't work well at all for alignment. It's a 45 Colt rnfp so I'd think a stem from a 45 Colt set would fit perfect or just make one up with epoxy glue.

Probably the best bullet for making large holes in critters is the truncated cone. The Lee 230-TC is good but there 230 grain drops 240 more often. You can mill the top of mold off some until you get a 220 or lighter bullet and have a good shooter.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    Moose - If you can get your hands on some HG 68 SWCs. They have a longer nose and will generally feed when other SWC won't. This is the Lee clone

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/336...semi-wadcutter

Boolit Bub
    thanks wil try suggestions,,, especially deeper seeting. I did order rn mold today.

moose

Boolit Bub
    My buddy and I tried the RCBS 201 grain SWC's in my his 45 XDs and had the same issues chambering. They were seated out just a bit from flush with the top driving band. We switched it to a diet of Lee TL452-230-2R and it ate those up.

Boolit Buddy
    Our Colt Loves most Boolits But you might Like to try a Lyman #452-374 225gn round nose, sorta acts and shoots like Ball ammo and most 45s love Ball so can't go wrong here, can be had on these forums also might get a few sent out for a test and shoot if you wanted,,
    Its a great boolit to shoot and loads OEM so hope this helps

Patrick
    Trust in God and Keep your Powder Dry ~ Oliver Cromwell

It's Said Republicans want to Pour all your Money down the Drain,,
    Where as the Democrats want a Bigger Drain,

Please Give me 24 to 48 Hours to respond to PM, Thank You

My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter!

Boolit Master
    The XD tactical I had (the older model without the small bump on the underneath side of the slide) worked well with the Lee 230 grain TC design as well as the Lee 200 grain RF. It had no problems with the NOE 230 RF. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=370 . I shot the Lyman 452374 as well at one point and it was a reliable, always functioning design however I prefer a flat meplat boolit or a HP.

I shot another design through the XD, a 230 grain HP http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=267 with excellent results. Although my mold was not made by NOE but rather another mold maker but the same design none the less. The HP design like the Lee 200 RF has a crimp groove for revolvers but this isn't an issue for the auto.

The older XD's just don't like SWC's so if you have an older model, as others have stated, you'll need to look into round nose, truncated and/or round flat nose designs.
    Last edited by RobS; 07-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you taper crimping? Inadequate or no TC is a VERY common cause of your problem,
    as well as seating too long. Does the pistol have a prominent bump on the
    underside of the center rib of the slide just behind the breech face? If not, it will
    not extract properly with SWCs, so don't spend much more time on them and
    switch to a RN profile. If it has the bump, it will extract over SWCs and you
    should be able to adjust seating depth and TC (shoot for .465" to .470" diam
    at extreme front of case edge) to make it drop freely into the dismounted
    barrel.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy

My xds will feed 200 gr. swc boolits pretty well, however it does like 230 gr. rn boolits better.