Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Finish this sentence! I remember a time when.............

Boolit Buddy
    When I thought I was cool.

Gas was .19 - result of a gas war in Hays, Kansas - Gulf station - none of the aforementioned still exist

A new Dodge Challenger the year of my HS graduation was $3,000 - 1972

They actually taught something in school

All of us boys played baseball from sunup to sundown - there were NO video games

Girls loved my long, dark, thick hair. - It is still mostly dark and really thick, just not long

We would collect pop bottles and could eat a hamburger and fries for lunch and have a candy bar for desert

Everything on earth didn't kill you

On Heaven's Range

....pumping gas in Yellowknife, NWT, using a big MANUAL lever to fill a big sight glass on the pump. When the desired number of gallons were hand-pumped up into the glass, they were gravity-fed into the vehicle.

What really makes one feel old....

That same, identical pump is now in the MUSEUM in that town.

Where did the time go?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Being 10-11 years old and at a horse pull, tractor pull or motorcycle race on Sunday afternoon with Pa and younger brothers. About 3:00 Pa pulling a couple bucks out and sending me to the beer stand to buy 3 beers and a orange soda. The soda baby brother, a beer for Pa, a beer for younger brother and a beer for me.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Well thanks for reminding me ...
    Well, you are quite welcome for my part, and I am certain the others will agree.
    Reminiscing over how things were, how they have changed, and why they changed, is fun for all of us ... and informative for the younger set.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    ..when a box of peas and a plastic "peashooter" would entertain you for hours.
    I could go on but don't know if I should get mad or cry.
    Ah, pea shooters! The family would go to town on Saturday night, and during soy bean harvest, there were bushels of spilled beans in the street from the farmers hauling to the grain elevator. We thought nothing of scooping up a handful, and going full auto with the pea shooters!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

When beautiful girls chased me.

I could walk down the street, carrying my .22 rifle and a pocketful of ammo, across the golf course and out to the desert to hunt jackrabbits. This was 1974, and in California!

It wasn't a crime to like the shooting sports!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

...drive-ins were commonplace.
    ...when the guy at the gas station would come out with a rag in his back pocket, pump your gas, wash your windshield, check your oil and fluff your tires for the cost of gas alone.
    ...when kids wore pants above their butt crack.
    ... if you wore a ball cap the visor was pointing forward unless you happen to be the catcher on a ball team. (this one may ruffle a feather or two).
    ...when you stuck a baseball card in your spokes.
    ...when there were at least five westerns on in a given TV week.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

In Remembrance
    Make a guy realize just what progress, we as a country have made, doesn't it? lol

I remember when 'gay' meant happy.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

an IBM Selectric-the one with a ball-was the cat's meow for writing a letter.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Banned
    Watching EJ Potter make a run on his 327 bike back when I worked for Chrysler at the old dodge main plant

Boolit Grand Master

Riding to the football game and back home Holding hands when my wife and I started dating. All the good times we had. All the talks and everything. Shes been gone now for 13 years. I can also remember the beauty and fear with the birth of each of my 3 children. And The birth of my 1 grandson. Im soon to be 51. My kids are out on thier own now and Im on disability so I have lots of time for memories.

In Remembrance

Rolling hoops from old wagon hubs for miles with a forked stick. Buying gas in Witchita Falls for .099 gal. during a gas war. Quitting smoking when the price rose from .35 pk. to .50. Buying Beechnut or Red Man tobacco for .25. Learning to ride a bike on the rims because the Goat Head stickers were every where and ruined the tubes. Only uncouth persons used profanity in public. Mom making me return a 1 cent toy I shop lifted from the variety store and apologize to the manager.(hard for a six year old) TV came on at 5:00 PM and went off at midnight or 10:30 week nights. Only one channel. Hearing the song Ida Red, the Lone Ranger, Lum and Abner, and the Shadow on the radio.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Only uncouth persons used profanity in public.
    I hear that ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    15 cent movies, 27 cent gas was standard.

when air was clean and sex was dirty......

Boolit Master
    When the Firebird got 14 miles per gallon, had a high performance 350 and Goodyear polyglas tires, and I bought the second tank of gas before going home for the weekend. I could cruise all night and afford to fill it up again!

It had a Quadraphonic stereo, Stewart-Warner direct guages, and I could get a girl to drive for me just by holding up the keys.

Yeah, wow.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Moderator Emeritus

Remember when Don Garlits broke 250mph in the quartermile in '75. 10 years before he was the first to break 200mph in the quarter mile. Took till '92 before anyone touched 300mph.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Had to get a credit card because it cost more to fill up my truck than I liked to carry around.
    22's were 50 cents a box with a few cents off for a brick.
    Mail order purchases actually involved stamps and an order form, not keystrokes.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast