Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Room/Man Cave

Reloading Room/Man Cave

I am starting from scratch on my reloading room. I'm looking for suggestions.

This is what I'm working with:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372726531.110500.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	75121

I currently have a a single stage setup (trimmer, powder measure, etc) and a Mec progressive shotshell reloader and super sizer. This room will also host a gun safe, powder magazine, copious amounts of fishing tackle, and other manly stuff (bed for my dog, various outdoor/taxidermy decorations, etc).

Suggestions are appreciated, I was thinking of building the reloading bench into the closet, but am thinking just over 4 feet of useable bench space is not enough, even though I plan to use a rock dock. What do you think?

My other thought was that an l shaped reloading bench may be very useful.

Thanks,
    Branden

I forgot to add that I plan to add a dillon 650 in the next two years, which will certainly increase my minimum bench size.

I think you are going to need a bigger rm. Some one told me to build a reloading bench down the middle of the room with draws/storage under it, that room is wide enough for a nice reloading Island.

Boolit Master

You are right when you say you may need more bench space. How about a U shaped bench in the corner next to the closet? Then you can store all your dies, tools, books and other items close to the bench. Also, if you cast you may want to add a covered area outside next to the door. This will make it easier to keep ingots and a place for smelting and casting. Just an idea!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master

go as big as you can

Attachment 75123Attachment 75125
    that was picture day a few years ago
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

now it looks more lived in
    Attachment 75126

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Is that you?

Moderator Emeritus

I am in the same process....after going through numerous portable buildings the one thing I found out is 14 ft. 14 ft. should be the minimum....my biggest fault has been to build too small and then regret it.....scale in all you intend to put into your cave and you will know if your design will work for you....my hat is off to you and I wish you the very best on it.....

May Liberty Increase!
    I'm convinced you can't overbuild the bench. I thought mine was stout, but 10 years has shown me the weak points of it and I'll be redoing it shortly. I've also determined that whatever I'm working with at the time I want in the center of the bench. It appears to me that you have the opportunity to have 5 centers of benches with much elbow room. Using the photo for orientation as posted, I'd put a bench down the right, across the bottom, up the left ending just before the closet, and an island with at least 4-ft of clearance from the other benches. If you built the benches 2-ft wide, you'd end up with 4-ft all the way around the island. What good it such a narrow island? You can mount opposing presses in the centers and work at whichever one suits your fancy. Changing presses is just a matter of sliding stuff across the island. I've yet to have too much bench space.

I'd also put standard height overhead cabinets mounted touching the ceiling, to give plenty of work room under them, along the bottom wall. Under cabinet lighting would be nice for some tasks. Speaking of lighting, mount a flush-mount fluorescent light over each bench and the island.

Open the closet into the room and mount the gun safe in the nook created by that, mounted on the left if you were looking into the current closet so that the safe door can swing fully open and not hit the wall. Ask me how I know that one..... To the right I would put floor to ceiling cabinets.

Build a rack on the ceiling for fishing rods to go into or a rack along the upper wall.

The Rock Docks are nice, but I have decided I want something that leaves a flat bench top when the press isn't in use. I rotate through hobbies depending on the season and want to be able to adapt the bench to each.

Maybe there's something useful in all this for you. Good luck!

May Liberty Increase!
    LUCKYDAWG13,

I swear those photos weren't up when I started typing the above response. Nice room!

Boolit Master

thank you

Boolit Master
    The existing configuration of the room is obviously too small for a reloading room. My suggestion is to tear out the two closets on the left end of the drawing and extend the room over into that space. Then put a long, heavy bench down the long wall, bolted to the wall, with your big, case forming presses on the ends so the bench won't get overturned when reforming 50 BMG cases into .17 Super Nitro Express Gorilla Speedster Mach 9 Magnums for use in your custom rifles. That will leave several feet down the length of the bench for mounting 5 or 6 shotshell reloaders (2 for each gauge).

Boolit Master

You need to watch some old episodes of "This Old House" where they convert a broom closet into a full size rec room for ideas.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by zidave View Post
    Is that you?
    No, that's not me. Just a video I found from a google search. Thought it covered quite a bit so I posted a link. Some of it seemed a little overboard, but hey.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

No matter how big you make your bench, it won't be big enough. I went from 4-feet to 11.5-feet, and have run out of room.

Suggest you plan it for expandability.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post

The Rock Docks are nice, but I have decided I want something that leaves a flat bench top when the press isn't in use. I rotate through hobbies depending on the season and want to be able to adapt the bench to each.
    You just have to router it into the bench so that when it is done it sits below the table surface, then you just make a plate out of wood to fill the dock until you need to use it.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

Shelves, shelves, and more shelves! You cannot have too much shelf space!

And build the biggest (longest) bench that you can manage. You WILL find a use for it. And build it as heavy as possible. You can never have it too strong, and if you build it too weak you will have to rebuild it eventually. So it is easier and more cost effective to over build at the start!

These are things I learned the hard way, and had to re-do.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

May Liberty Increase!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
    You just have to router it into the bench so that when it is done it sits below the table surface, then you just make a plate out of wood to fill the dock until you need to use it.
    Hunter64,

That looks very nice, but is beyond my woodworking skill set. I am planning to try the Wiley Clapp method. Maybe I can cut straight lines.

Banned

ive got about 20 ft of bench space and could easily use 20 more!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast