Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: RCBS Expander Size Question

RCBS Expander Size Question

I bought a used set of 30-30 RCBS dies. I noticed after trying to seat my boolits, that there was a heavy amount of lead shavings. I unscrewed the rod with the expander on it and measured it. I got a size of .306 for the expander. Is this correct? I know this set of dies belonged to a guy who was into machining. I was wondering if the expander should measure around .309, and if maybe the prior owner of these dies reduced the diameter of the expander to get a tighter fit.

My cast boolits are sized to .310 and I have to balance them on the case mouth before I run them into the die for seating. I can't even get my boolits to start into the case mouth.

What should the expander measure?
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

The expander in my 30-30 sizing die is 0.3085"...

You will need to get an expander die for cast boolits...

It expands to whatever diameter you purchase it for and puts a flare on the case mouth to assist in boolit alignment and will prevent the lead shaving...

RCBS makes them as does Lyman--I use RCBS and I think Lyman are called "M" dies...

Good-luck...BCB

Thank you Sir! I was hoping that a .309 expander would be, well... .309". Mine must have been modified.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

RCBS Cowboy die sets come with a separate expander die very similar to a Lyman M die.
    You can buy the RCBS Cowboy expander separate if you can find it.

Boolit Master
    Reloading dies are dimensioned for jacketed bullets, not cast boolits, and your .306" plug is correct for a .308" jacketed bullet. RCBS makes individual expander plugs that are dimensioned for rifle cast boolits -- check their web-site or give them a call.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Reloading dies are dimensioned for jacketed bullets, not cast boolits, and your .306" plug is correct for a .308" jacketed bullet. RCBS makes individual expander plugs that are dimensioned for rifle cast boolits -- check their web-site or give them a call.
    I’m not so sure that is correct—the 0.306” part…

I measured several 30 Caliber dies that I have and I got the following dimensions:

Hornady 300 Winchester Magnum 0.3075”
    Lyman 308 Winchester 0.3075”
    RCBS 30-06 Springfield 0.3075”

All the same +or- 0.0001”

The Hornady jacketed bullets I measured were all right at 0.3085"...

Measured with a Starrett micrometer…

BCB
    Last edited by BCB; 07-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I mic'd three RCBS .30 caliber expander plugs (the brand Four-Sixty is using). Two measured right at .306" and the other at .3064". Other brands have different dimensions, however all are too small for .310" cast boolit use.

Boolit Master

Whatever on the size of the expanding plug in a 30-caliber sizing die…

But I use a .309” or .310” expander plug, depending on what boolit I am reloading, with the RCBS expanding die…
    (I also measured these and they read what they are to be with the Starrett micrometers)

I just purchase the one die and then purchase expanding rods and put the size of expanding plug I will use on it. I then just change expander rod with the correct size plug from the die and that way I don’t have to have several dies—just rods and expander plugs for each diameter of boolit I use…

Good-luck…BCB