WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 19 Firefighters killed in line of duty - Yarnell, AZ.

Boolit Master

19 Firefighters killed in line of duty - Yarnell, AZ.

Heard last evening, and was confirmed on news. 19 Prescott Hot Shot fighfighters killed in wildfire in Yarnell. Hits close to home for me. I live about 40 miles east of Yarnell. Closer still because I worked across the street from their station in Prescott. I never met a one, but often saw them outside the building. I'm sure I will know some of the faces. I know Yarnell as well. I worked out of there last Winter, and traveled that windy Hwy 89 down the hill to Wickenburg. Yarnell is best described as "Mayberry Like". Everybody knows each other. A small town with a Main Street about a half mile long with small stores. You enter quick, and you are out as quickly. I fear life will never be the same there. I await news on the safety of the residents in harms way. A terrible tragedy for not only Yarnell, but the Country itself.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, very big loss for the first responder and local community. I hear these were the elite as far as brush fires go, even taught their techniques to others. Just goes to prove that sometimes things just go wrong, very wrong, even when you do everything right.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

VERY sad to hear of their loss. Brave men, going into the fire country with hand tools and
    a lot of guts. Hard to imagine how they got trapped. I never have been close to a big
    fire like that, hope to never be, don't think I can really appreciate the speed that these
    things apparently can move.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    This was our second of the year. The doce fire not far by. Really sad that they were elite, nearly wiped out the whole platoon. Hopefully there won't be anymore serious fires. All the grills and camp fires have been on ban

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    The Hotshot's Prayer

When I am called to duty, Lord
    To fight the roaring blaze,
    Please keep me safe and strong
    I may be here for days.

Be with my fellow crewmembers,
    as we hike up to the top.
    Help us cut enough line,
    For this blaze to stop.

Let my skills and hands
    be firm and quick.
    Let me find those safety zones,
    as we hit and lick.

For if this day on the line,
    I should lose my life,
    Lord, bless my Hotshot Crew,
    my children and my WIFE.

~~ Patricia Huston, IHC Wife ~~
    copywright October 2002
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

One of the most tragic losses we have had among our brave men and women of our first responders. Prayers and thoughts go out to the families and the community.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

THIS--was one horrible happening, as a volunteer I had some close calls,
    But I just can't fathom this. Very sad indeed.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

In Remembrance
    If this article is to be believed, that fire was a mini-9/11 in which the forces of Islam killed some more Americans.
    http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/jihadists...arizona-fires/

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If this article is to be believed, that fire was a mini-9/11 in which the forces of Islam killed some more Americans.
    http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/jihadists...arizona-fires/

CM
    Yarnell Hill Fire

A wildfire burns homes in Yarnell, Ariz. on Sunday, June 30, 2013. An Arizona fire chief says the wildfire that killed 19 members of his crew near the town was moving fast and fueled by hot, dry conditions. The fire started with a lightning strike on Friday and spread to 2,000 acres on Sunday amid triple-digit temperatures. (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, David Kadlubowski)
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Its quite chilling to re-watch the 2013 fireline refresher on Watchout Situations and see the similarities with Yarnell. The module ends with a miraculous escape which Yarnell sadly didn't copy.
    Firefighters are placed in the impossible situation of strictly complying with the Standing Fire Orders and Watchout Situations or fighting the fire. The investigation will list the things the crew did wrong and 'rules' they violated and absolve the bureaucrats of any blame. But please remember the bureaucrats put enormous pressure on the crews to get the job done but don't spend any money, oh... and by the way follow all the rules too.

Pray for the fallen and their families.