Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: saeco 383

Boolit Buddy

saeco 383

hello
    is somebody uses this mold for an 9m/m with good feeding and accuracy?

thanks

Boolit Master

I cant help you with the # 383 ! i dont think it was a popular bullet design ? but i do have the #929 145gr swcbb , it is accurate and 100% reliable feeding in my three 9mms and two 38 supers. for most uses in the 9mm i prefer the #377 122gr tc bullet.
    Note! both the 929 & 377 bullets are bevel based and will give you problems with lube on the base because of the BB design if using a lyman , rcbs or saeco L/S. im using a STAR. i also have the #384 122gr rn, but its not as accurate as the 929 /377 design. but feeds excellent.
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 07-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for your answer
    but the mold's price seems a bit hight
    i have 2 rcbs an 09-124 tc and an 09-124 rn who shoot very well in my 5906 ,
    i don't have good result with an 358445
    my barrel like 357 bullet.

Boolit Master

Saeco moulds were allways more expensive than lyman & rcbs moulds ! i bought my first saeco mould 35+ years ago, i now currently have about 15. IMO there worth the $, i have several saeco moulds with over 40,000 bullets made with each and one with approx 72,000 and they are still almost like new with very little wear.

I also have the rcbs 124gr-rngc its also pretty accurate! i use it only with the gas ck installed , i use it mostly after firing plane base bullets to clean out any built up leading if there is any and for major power factor 38 super loads , im to cheap to shoot very many jacked bullets from my handguns and see no benifit. in fact most have never seen a jacketed bullet and the few that have are on a very restricted diet .

Boolit Buddy
    i have 2 saeco molds,for sure they are wellmade but the guy who sold this in second hand is a bit greedy, here for casting the market is very short .
    i have try with and less G.C. the rcbs 124-rn see no difference in target ,no hot load i'm in 1100 f/s range.

Boolit Master

The #383 is the first mold I used in 9mm. I shoot it in my SR9c. It feeds good and is an accurate boolit for me.

It has a real long nose. I think that helps for 9mm in two ways. First, it helps feeding by keeping the approach angle close to that of a round nose. Second, it keeps a lot of the weight of the boolit forward of the case mouth. That means there is less boolit in the case. Why is that good? THe shallower a boolit is seated in the case, the less chance there is of the case swaging the boolit down.

There is not much of a SWC shoulder and looking at it, you'd expect that the #383 would not cut a nice circle, but it does.

I've also loaded this as a 357 Mag. I crimp over the forward drive band and it shoot real fine.
    Jeff

Boolit Bub
    The 383 is one of my favorite 9mm molds. I size it to .358" and have great results in all of the pistols I have tried it in, including my 1917 Luger. It weighs between 135-140 gr depending on alloy, and I usually push it to around 1000 FPS out of a 4.5-5" barrel. My favorite powders are WSF, Unique and SR-7625. I seat it to a OAL of 1.125".

About what size does the #383 throw? I often size my 357 down to .357 and was wondering if this could do double duty with a taper crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    Iv shot a good many out of my Glock 34 sized .356 it is accurate and cool looking it will be my next mold. It also hits with a bit of authority on small game.

Boolit Master

That really reminds me of the old Bull-X 9mm bullet and it shot very well. Now I know where I can get a similar design!

Boolit Master

Compared to other .357/.38 SWC molds, #383 has more taper (longer) making it a tad better to feed in ramped autos (9/38super/357sig). At 140g, a good sub load too.

Boolit Master

I thought Saeco went out of business years ago......
    Denny

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    About what size does the #383 throw? I often size my 357 down to .357 and was wondering if this could do double duty with a taper crimp.
    How exactly do you size a .357 down to .357 ?

Boolit Master

Give him a break Ben, I think he meant .358 to .357 instead of the usual .356 for 9s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I thought Saeco went out of business years ago......
    Denny
    Saeco is a Redding product offering. The catalog is found on the Redding website.