Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricks getting out frozen screws & nipples from BP revolvers

Boolit Master

Tricks getting out frozen screws & nipples from BP revolvers

OK my .36 remmie has a frozen screw & two nipples.Tryed WD-40, I,m out of Kcolls.
    I heated the nipples with my torch.Still no good.Now what to do my friends?

Fly

Boolit Master

i would wait until i got some kroil and let that soak in a few days
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Mix 50/50 Acetone and ATF Dextron and use that for a penetrating oil the best that I have ever used.

RB

Boolit Buddy

Light a fire in the stove and thaw out my nipples..........................................

Seriously, Penetrating oil is all that's going to have a chance. Kroil best in class.
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master

Key ingredient patients (and Kroil).......muscle will be your downfall.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    Fly this will not help you get the stuck screws and nipples out but the next time you get to the auto parts store pick up a small tube of anti seize and put just a small dab on those threads when you put things back together again. It will provide a seal for the threads and keep things so that the powder residue can't bind them up.

Pete

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Remove the cylinder. Soak the nipples as suggested above. Keep them wet with penetrant. Tap them lightly periodicly for a few days. If they still resist a good fitting nipple wrench, or are to boogered up to grip well with the wrench, give that up. Carefully drill out the flashhole to a larger diameter using a series of drills not quite approaching the base diameter of the threads. Use an easy out as the drilled out nipple should have enough interior metal left to engage. Be cautious in the drilling out. The easy out should get the frozen nipple out.

I keep an easy out and two drills available to use this way on wayward nipples others bring.

Prevent the problem. Use something like wheel bearing grease, hi temp and waterproof, to grease nipple threads. Snug up with two fingers of pressure. Change nipples when the flash holes enlarge, venting too much gas. Buy them by examining the flashholes for uniformity to improve shooting. Make sure the caps fit the nipples correctly. Pinch a rifle cap if you will but not any revolver caps. They must fit to prevent chain fires.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Acetone and ATF actually works better than Kroil for frozen screws. Old trick learned working on John Deere tractors.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been through this many times fixing up old cap and ball revolvers. I like to use Eds Red bore cleaner to soak the parts (google it). You need a good way to hold the the cylinder you can use two wood dowels the biggest that will fit into your chambers. Put the dowels into two chambers across from one another use them as fixture to hold the cylinder. Make a good nipple wrench. Take 3/16 1/4 drive socket cut a slot on top of the socket with dremel tool with a cut off wheel wide enough for a small file to fit then widen the slot until it fits the nipple. These are the best nipple wrenches i have ever used. If you have to you can heat the cylinder up in a oven.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 56 View Post
    I have been through this many times fixing up old cap and ball revolvers. I like to use Eds Red bore cleaner to soak the parts (google it). You need a good way to hold the the cylinder you can use two wood dowels the biggest that will fit into your chambers. Put the dowels into two chambers across from one another use them as fixture to hold the cylinder. Make a good nipple wrench. Take 3/16 1/4 drive socket cut a slot on top of the socket with dremel tool with a cut off wheel wide enough for a small file to fit then widen the slot until it fits the nipple. These are the best nipple wrenches i have ever used. If you have to you can heat the cylinder up in a oven.

Now thats a nipple wrench
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 451 Pete View Post
    Fly this will not help you get the stuck screws and nipples out but the next time you get to the auto parts store pick up a small tube of anti seize and put just a small dab on those threads when you put things back together again. It will provide a seal for the threads and keep things so that the powder residue can't bind them up.

Pete
    Pete I already do that my friend.But this WAS a new pistol two mouth ago & I never tore in down all the way to clean
    it.I should have done that from day one.But I didn't, (dumb butt me).I ordered some Kroil this evening.I also have a
    0-2 tool steel rod I,m going to make a nipple wrench from & heat treat it.The screw is what bothers me most.I really
    don't want to drill it out.

I hope the Kroil,s will melt the **** holding it.Thank each & everyone of you guy's
    Fly

Boolit Master

A 1/4 air drive impact is your friend, a cheap battery impact can work. I have a few nipple wrenches from 1/4 inch sockets. They work well. Install with fingers remove with any 1/4 inch tool.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

A trick I got from a gunsmith buddy when parts are frozen together is to put the whole assembly in the freezer over night. Gives the stuck parts a chance to contract and break the bonds. Might work, might not -- hopefully something will!

On the stuck screw: A well fitting screwdriver tip is imperative. After using the penetrating oil/ acetone & ATF, Kroil give the screw a torque while gently tapping on the screwdriver with a light hammer. I sometimes turn to tighten a bit to try to break the seal before turning it out. As you unscrew it is taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap while bearing down and turning on the screw. Have the part snugly in a padded vise while doing this.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    For penetrating lube testing by the machinests guys and published results show atf/acetone(what I use) at 50/50 best, second was Liquid Wrench penetrating, 3rd was Kroil and PB Blaster about equal and WD 40 last. Soak thouroughly and use that rig pictured. I'd put the "socket" (I've done the same to get sockets to fit breechplugs) on the end of an extension and lock that in "vice grips" for torque and then bang the extension with a hammer while applying pressure with the vice grips. I've done the same to get nipples, breedhplugs and ventliners out. Only thing better would be one of them NASCAR airwrenches used to get lugnuts off of racecars. Good luck,

10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    For best results when using penetrating oil- whatever it is- is to heat the parts first, then apply the penetrating oil, then cool the parts down before trying to nudge the screw loose. Heated parts expand in all directions thus the best chance of breaking loose any rusted bond between. As the parts cool down, the oil is more likely to be drawn into the joining surfaces. This time of year for smaller parts or smaller guns the freezer or fridge will cool down the most before attempting to unscrew. Plus the parts are all at their most contracted state. The best method, as described already, is to use the correct tool and taptaptap lightly as pressure is applied to unscrew.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Bub
    Lots of good info here. I work on firearms a bit, and vehicles quite a bit, and I run into similar issues sometimes with frozen / rusted / corroded fasteners

The tip about atf / acetone is a good one. It IS pretty darn good for frozen bolts / nuts.

The mentions about heat are good too. Like warming up, then putting in freezer, cycling the temperature a few times (each time adding more penetrating fluid, whichever kind you prefer -
    kroil is rarely a BAD choice.... and often a great one....). One thing I'll add is that if you are in a humid area, that if you freeze the part, it will most likely get a bunch of water condensating on it
    when you pull it out of freezer. This is one place where I really LIKE WD40, and it works well - if I get a bunch of condensation on a part after cleaning it, or freezing it, I'll hose it down with WD40 & then airhose it off

WD40 is an OK solvent, and poor lube, but it DOES displace water well - heck, that whats its made for!

I deal with issues like that with engine parts sometimes. Inside nice air conditioned house, say 70 degrees, then go outside and its 90+ degrees and 60%+ humidity. Those parts will want to get some moisture built up on them from the temperate difference, but if I spray those parts with say brake cleaner, now they're even colder (due to the evaporation of the cleaner itself, plus the lower temp that comes out of a spray can as the gas inside expands on its way out). With the super bone dry surface (from the brake cleaner or similar cleaner), and even bigger temp difference now, that's a perfect setup to get flash rust. Which on a precision fitted part, like a crankshaft, or cylinder, could be a big problem.... flash rust turning into deeper rust if not attended to quickly...

Oh, I also like what was mentioned before about sometimes TIGHTENING (even slightly) a stuck part before trying to remove. Rust, other corrosion, can make the two parts bond together. And, we all know how easy it is to strip/round off the head of a fastener trying to get it out. Well, tightening it, just a bit, can sometimes break the bond, which means it then comes out pretty easily (its not stuck anymore). Plus, you're working on the other side of the fastener, turning opposite way, so you're not just putting all the load of removal on the same spots. Spreading out the load, or damage, depending on how you look at it...

Oh yeah, anti seize can really be your friend. Amazing how well some of that stuff works!!!

Sorry for rambling, I don't post much here, but saw some things I thought worth commenting on.... good luck to everyone involved...

Boolit Master

Had a 6-48 broken tap in a barrel, tried everything, but the freezer trick along with some kroil did the job, and it came out really easy.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

In Remembrance
    One more thing to try on a frozen screw....after soaking a couple of days in your favorite penetrating oil, put the best fitting screwdriver tip in a drill press chuck. Bear down on the quill handle while trying to turn the chuck back and forth. Maybe use a small strap wrench on the chuck for a little more torque. Good luck!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Dixie Gun Works.... part #NW0204 RATCHET NIPPLE WRENCH REVOLVER $18.50
    It works great. You might even find it elsewhere at a diff price. But it is super strong and you will not twist the "ears" off of it like most nipple wrenches.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast