Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recoil sensitive wuss still wants to shoot

Banned

Most of my muzzle loader kills have been with a .50 Hawken and big conicals that kick hard, but a few years ago, I started dabbling with inlines. Last couple of deer I shot with a cheap inline (still gives decent accuracy) the RCBS 225 grain .44 SWC and 70 grains of 777. I put a slip on recoil pad over the rubber buttplate and the rifle is pretty easy on me. I was trying to get a combo together that my youngest son, who is somewhat recoil shy, would use, but he isn't into September deer hunting.

I'd say get an inline, some relatively light pistol bullets and sabots and weight the rifle with some lead shot or something and give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Lonegun, you will never know how much you encouraged me. I have secretly been making a switch to bp from smokeless and I have a few shotgun barrels(o\u and sxs) I have dreams of turning into bp ball flingers. I know my kids can shoot the heavy stuff but I still have some fire left in me too, simply need to rearrange thoughts to thinking less is better!(at least for my specific situation)
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I am very pleased with my switchover from 405 grain boolits with modern powder to .457 roundball over black powder. Very little recoil to very mild depending on the bp load. As we get a bit older we do have to account for the physical effects of the rounds we shoot and using large bore rifles is great because they are effective at much lower speeds than the smaller rounds.

You might want to try your new bp loads on pork ribs at 100 yards. You might be surprised at the amount of damage a round ball will do. It is substantial.

Boolit Buddy
    get a recoil reducer put into stock then a good recoil pad,maybe a heavier gun those 3 should tame most recoil.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Perm-Banned
    awsar put it better than i did and he is 100 percent right, thanks awsar.

.Go see the guys at any Trap range and ask about recoiless butt plates .My neibor said it took about 80% of his recoil away .

Boolit Master
    hmmm, maybe I can still finish some of my dream projects. All of these projects will produce plenty of recoil, so absorbing the recoil is key. Here is one project I have been waiting to do for a few years. Found the 12 ga barrel with sights, later on ebay won the wood set and have been dreaming of this as a cartridge(brass shotgun shells) rifle.All I have to do is make the reciever. So you guys are making me happy again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2101.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	75127
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input, I know personally deer are easy to kill with a 22lr when they are not pushed and shot in the right spot but it is so easy to think bigger is better and forget the common sense in it all. I think what has really upset me the most in this latest turn of events is I have been acquiring the parts to build my sacrilegious flinter in 54 cal and now not only recoil is a issue but the therapist said I cannot do anything where by I am looking down or working on things at bench level. I am supposed to stand straight and work at eye level. This knocks out almost all gun work and now I am scrambling to make sense out of it all. Oh well, God is good and the sun will rise tomorrow so who needs to worry! I now have a reason to shoot with less powder and lighter projectiles!
    nekshot
    Sit on a milk crate. That should put the bench at eye level. As for the gun itself, I would do what you can with a recoil pad and adding weight to the gun. Heavier gun = less felt recoil.
    Never trust a skinny chef, a fat personal trainer, or anyone who can't stand beer.

Blessed are those who are cracked, for they shall let in the light.

Lyman GPR with the lace-up pad on the rear... 1 in 60 inch twist ... 54 cal shooting 530 dia ball ... 80 grains powder ... lubed patch of .015 inch ... shoot it till it becomes second nature !

if still too much recoil then the old trick my Dad showed me as a kid with a single shot 12 gauge... [real kicker] ... drill out the stock behind the but plate and pound lead 2 oz sinkers ...[ salt water weights]... till they fit tight in the hole...use as many as required for taming the recoil.

now you will be equipped with a 220 grain ball rifle that is going around 18 or 19 hundred FPS ,.,. this combo has harvested everything from rabbits to grizzly. just get proficient with it and set your own yardage limits.

another thing this will do is make you a HUNTER instead of a harvester. get ready to step into yesteryear and study the how-to's of this style hunting. there are many good things to be gained as well ... the extra seasons are one that springs to mind. hunting with a primitive style rifle gives pride and accomplishment to your outing as well.

have fun and report back with your progress...