MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Thompson Center 36 Seneca loads ?

Thompson Center 36 Seneca loads ?

Just picked up a Seneca 36 . Have a Thompson Maxi-Ball Mold 128gr I picked up some years back I have Goex ff ,fff .Pyrodex RS and 777. this is my First little rifle .
    Anyone know the aprox. year built sn 8xxx (just 4 digits )

? on workable loads with a maxi ball 128gr starting load 60gr + or -
    will I need to find a RB mold also ?
    I have T/C Hawkens and Renegades 54s and 56 SmoothBore this 36 will be a change of pace

Boolit Master

I have a Seneca in with both 36 and 45 T/C barrels. This is a great shooting rifle. It's light enough to carry all day especially for younger shooters. In my current location I do not have access to my shooting records to give you any info but if I recall correctly Lyman used to have Seneca loads in their loading manual. You might try T/C and see if they have the historical data for the year of manufacture. Mine is also 4 digits serial number and I picked mine up around the 1978 time from. Good luck and have fun

gmsharps

Quote Originally Posted by KyBill View Post
    Just picked up a Seneca 36 . Have a Thompson Maxi-Ball Mold 128gr I picked up some years back I have Goex ff ,fff .Pyrodex RS and 777. this is my First little rifle .
    Anyone know the aprox. year built sn 8xxx (just 4 digits )

? on workable loads with a maxi ball 128gr starting load 60gr + or -
    will I need to find a RB mold also ?
    I have T/C Hawkens and Renegades 54s and 56 SmoothBore this 36 will be a change of pace
    Hey there. If you would please sir, would you check and see what twist does your particular .36 barrel have?

gmsharps thanks for the link max charge is less than I thought. Mavin I will get back to you on twist rate it is a slow one for sure .got to get going to the KY Speedway for the races see you all in a couple DAYS!

Boolit Buddy
    I have not shoot mine in a while. I have only shot RB ball from mine. If i remember right 40gr of fff is the max load for PRB. The ball size is .350 track of the wolf has them in stock. I have a big box of 000 buck shot i have been shooting. I use a .10 patch the front pockets from old blue jeans make good patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Hey there. If you would please sir, would you check and see what twist does your particular .36 barrel have?
    KyBill, Good Cheer, not I, wanted the twist rate.

Good cheer 36 seneca twist rate 1 in 48 .

I've read posts with 30" twist and also 48". Made me wonder what yours might be.

Boolit Master

too ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-20-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Perm-Banned
    go to idaho rons sticky and consider paperpatching for it. sounds like it is a good canidate for pp bullets. you just need to size a bullet down 8 thousands from the top of the lands diam. use number 9 paper two wraps. idaho rons sticky will show you how, bet it would drive tacks and have a lot of power and extend the range of the gun considerably. can you hunt deer with that where you live?

Here in KY can hunt deer with a rock if we wanted to .Primitive season is anything stuffed down a barrel .
    Wish they would make a sidelock and flintlock only ! those inlines should go into modern gun season !!! 209 + sabots = Moderngun in my opinion. here modern gun is any Center Fire ammunition is 209 a Centerfire.
    I will check the paper patched ! have read up on it before for larger calibers

Boolit Bub
    My pet load for the .36 Seneca is 35 grains of FFFg, a .350 round ball in a wonder lubed 0.18 pillow ticking patch. This is a very accurate load. Good for hitting squirrel in the head and punching holes in paper.

I'm plotting on a .36 to paper patch with the gazillion .38 pistol molds running loose in the world. Any input on how the twist in the TC works out would be most welcome. Thanks.