WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 Cal M2 AP Penetration (30-06)

30 Cal M2 AP Penetration (30-06)

Hey folks. I finally managed to get away from the office after working on an absolutely hellish project. After that it seemed to never stop raining! Finally, I got to go out and shoot up some of this old 30-06 Armor Piercing stuff graciously donated to me by a member here. I had read many conflicting accounts of what this stuff was capable of so it was enjoyable to kick it around myself. Anyhow, if you are interested here is the video. I had fun with it! Take care.

Boolit Grand Master

I read about some local Platte County sheriff's deputies that went up against Bonnie and Clyde.
    This was the tourist court shootout in the movie, where Buck got a head wound. The officer
    told about them surrounding the building - he had a .38 revolver - and calling for them to give
    up. Clyde opened up with his favorite - a BAR with AP ammo. The officer saw rounds zipping
    through a good sized oak tree he was taking cover behind, like tree wasn't there. He looked at
    the .38 his hand and ran. I always assumed he was telling the truth, but this verifies it. Talk about
    outgunned!

This is northwest a bit from KC, apparently the tourist court still stands.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Great video!

Very well put together.

Will watch for the other ones to be forthcoming.

Brandon
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master at heavens range
    Back in the 60s I bought 2,000 of this made here in Des Moines Iowa for $01.5 a rd, I pulled some for the powder, 4895, shot a lot at 400 yds. at rocks, and shot small rocks under big rocks to make a rock slide. Shot some at a old dozer blade, they only went in about 5/8 because it was harded steel, we shoot some a 2 foot hard maple tree and didn't go out the other side, but the 6.5X55 swed. did, shot a lot of carp and rough fish with them, Still have about 100 bullets left, would be nice to load them in a 300 H&H and see what they would do to a engine block. Joe

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When Ollie North was running the Contra war my activity was tasked with accumulating cal. .30 ammunition to link up and teach the Contras the benefits of long range, indirect, plunging fire. The ammo of choice was M72 Match, which duplicated the old Ball M1, with APM2 being an acceptable substitute. Over 16 million rounds were gleaned from bunkers on CONUS bases, which explains in part why the stuff is so scarce now......

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    ..... would be nice to load them in a 300 H&H and see what they would do to a engine block. Joe
    Average size block, assuming it's iron, they won't go all the way through, but they'll dern sure shut it down if it's running.

Be careful! A friend and I were shooting engines one day and a steel core came back at us and stuck in his shin!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Had a neighbor get killed about 20 years ago shooting AP rounds. He had an old tractor wheel leaned up against a tree about 100 yards off of his front porch. His wife came home from shopping and found him dead on the porch with a GSW to the chest and his rifle laying beside him having been fired. She thought he had been in a shoot out. It was later discovered that he was shooting AP rounds at the iron wheel and one hit just right and ran the curvature of the wheel around and came back at him striking him in the chest. I wanted to play with some pulled AP bullets in my 300RUM but remembered what happened to my neighbor.

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Back in the early 1980s a friend gave me several hundred .30 cal. AP bullets that had been pulled, along with the powder from the pull-down. I still have a handful or so of those bullets. Fortunately, I found out without suffering any harm that the jackets will peel off and come back at you if you are not careful. I decided that if the jacket can come back, the hardened core could too. I shot a round into a sandrock from a distance as a penetration test, knowing it would penetrate and would not come back at me. I had to leave the scene of shooting and acquire a big hammer and a good chisel and return in order to retrieve that hard core, which was only polished by the sandrock. Nary a mark on the core. I tried a new file on the core and only dulled the file. Tungsten Carbide I believe is what the core was called by the guy who gave them to me. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    Had a neighbor get killed about 20 years ago shooting AP rounds. He had an old tractor wheel leaned up against a tree about 100 yards off of his front porch. His wife came home from shopping and found him dead on the porch with a GSW to the chest and his rifle laying beside him having been fired. She thought he had been in a shoot out. It was later discovered that he was shooting AP rounds at the iron wheel and one hit just right and ran the curvature of the wheel around and came back at him striking him in the chest. I wanted to play with some pulled AP bullets in my 300RUM but remembered what happened to my neighbor.

Best wishes

Joe
    Yes, Be Careful with it!!! A friend of mine was severely wounded with some 30 Cal AP several years ago. He was shooting at an old hunk of Railroad track about 2' long at about 100 yds, and it curled back at him. It went through and through his femur and busted his leg. I have several hundred projos that I'm saving for a "rainy day".

Boolit Master

Back in the 60's a friend's Dad gave me a few 100 rounds of AP M-2. We shot all of it through an 03 at an old Case tractor that was left on the farm. When we were finished that Case was "holey". IIRC most of it was cast iron so no "reflections". Some states have "regulations" against owning and shooting AP, collectors are allowed a few rounds.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Enjoyed the Video!! Thanks for sharing ...

Nice Video - Can't wait for the 50 caliber version.

Great watching.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

In Remembrance

At Ft. Hood in the 1960's a soldier was killed when pulling targets in a pit next to me by a penetrator core that hit a knot in the wood lining the pit and deflected down. Those things were scorching hot when they struck short and tumbled down your collar.

Boolit Master
    There were limited production Tungsten Carbide core .30 AP made before Bonnie and Clyde went on their spree, could have been that stuff. The WW2 era AP used electronic furnace hardened steel cores.

The girlfriend of a different Motorized Bandit, forget his name, shot a Lawman (FBI?) hiding behind a tree with her boyfriends BAR. Bullets just zipped right through.
    I've shot through trees with .30 AP and its amazing. I shot a bowling ball and the bullet passed through up to a fraction of an inch from complete penetration, the ball split and the nose of the core had melted from friction.

Boolit Grand Master

I also have seen hot cores drop into the pits from a hit someplace on the frame. Shot a lot of AP in M1's for practice. Never found it as accurate as ball however.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Very well done video.
    ph4570

Boolit Master

Fortunately, I found out without suffering any harm that the jackets will peel off and come back at you if you are not careful.
    I wasn't so lucky. The scar between my eyes has faded to almost invisible over the decades, but in a box somewhere I still have the peeled-back jacket that came back and got me. If it had come back just an inch to the left my nickname could have been "Patch".

Boolit Master

Wow! Nice job!!!

Excellent editting, adding WWII training film, good scientific process to the evaluation -- props all the way around! I will be watching your channel for sure!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast