Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Is this the best alloy to use?

Boolit Bub

Is this the best alloy to use?

Hi,

I just need some advice with regards to the best “alloy” for what I want to do.

I am going to purchase some lead alloy for casting bullets, and I’m fortunate enough that the foundry where I’m going to get it will mix pretty much any “reasonable” lead alloy I want.

I understand the alloy for Lyman #2 is a very common alloy, and is made up of 90% lead, 5% tin, and 5% antimony. They would mix this for me.

My question is, would this be the best alloy to use for casting bullets for 45 Long Colt that will be used in Cowboy Action Shooting?

Also, would this same alloy work well for a 44 Mag (providing you kept the speeds sub sonic)?

Or would I be better off getting a harder alloy? Given that they will mix what I want, I might as well try to get an alloy well suited to this type of use.

Thanks very much for your help and advice

Banned

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Sir. Absolutely great information! Thanks again.

Very informative! I would've never thought of using stick-on ww for boolit's in my .45
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Banned

It sure would work but for pop gun loads for cowboy action shooting id probably use the cheapest alloy theyd make. Even pure would work for that. #2 will work real well in your 44 mag at ANY velocity you can get out of a handgun.

Boolit Bub
    Okay, I need to rephrase this question for some of you with alloy experience. I apologize in advance for asking questions about things that if I took the time to research and read and study I could likely figure out the answer myself – but that’s my problem – I have the opportunity to buy some lead/alloy right now and I have to decide right away if I’m going to take it or not.

The alloy I’ve been offered originally comes from a foundry and is in 60 pound ingots. The alloy is 2% tin – 7% antimony – 91% lead.

I know 7% antimony is fairly high, but I have seen that exact formula listed as a “bullet alloy”

In an article from the Los Angeles Silhouette Club I was referred to they list a couple of alloy recipes which are fairly close to this.

For example, they list an alloy made up of linotype and wheel weights that ends up being 1.9% tin – 6.6% antimony – 91.5% lead - and they say this is very close to “Hardball” BHN

They list another one made up of monotype and wheel weights that ends up being 3% tin – 7.2% antimony – 89.8% lead – and they say this is a “Medium Hard Alloy suitable for magnum handguns and rifles to 2000 fps.

This alloy I’m looking at comes in at 2% tin – 7% antimony – 90% lead so it more or less falls about half way in between the “Hardball” recipe and the “Medium Hard” recipe.

So my question is – would this alloy be good for casting bullets for CAS use? The antimony is a little high and the tin a little low, but it should work.

I guess it could be “doctored” up a bit by adding a bit of tin and lead to raise the tin and lower the antimony, but I’d rather not get into that if I can help it.

I’d appreciate any thoughts or advice.

buy it and pure and mix 50/50 and never look back.Clint

Boolit Buddy

At 2% tin, 7% antimony and 90% lead you should get a discount because it's only 99% there. Other than that, it should be a good general use alloy. Air cool for most stuff, water drop or oven heat treat for the barn burning stuff.
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    1972 ... Lyman #2 is perfect for CAS 45 Colt reloads in both revolvers and rifle. The Bhn is 15.0. I use wheel weights that are Bhn 15.4 for both BP & smokeless 45 Colt reloads with no leading.
    PS: the guns don't know the difference between 15.0 & 15.4
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

if you can get it cheap go for it .. as you stated the mix its probably a little harder than you need but that will not hurt anything out of a 45 colt
    as a plus it will shoot great in most mag handguns or rifles less than 2000 FPS
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Lyman #2 is pretty rich in antimony and tin - way more than needed for most handgun applications. As Clint said above, mix it with an equal amount of (cheaper) pure lead to double your alloy, and you'll save money.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    My 45 Colt loads are as close to pure lead as I can get them without wrinkles in the bullet. I would add pure lead as recommended here.

Boolit Master

If the price is good, I'd buy it!

It can be cut with pure Lead and a bit of Solder (For more Tin) to any alloy that you would want. The hardest thing to find is a high Antimony alloy at a good price, you may have found some. You could probably trade some here for an equal or slightly larger amount of Pure or Soft Lead for your mixing needs.

Mixed 50/50 with Pure Lead, it would be pretty darn close to COWW lead. Add a bit of Tin, up to 2% total and you would be good to go for any hangun load short of maximum velocity magnum loads.

For me the simple 20/1 lead tin alloy is probably the best for low velocity loads

For higher velocities above 1000fps Lyman #2 is good.

CAS loads are often really low pressure, you could even get by w/ pure lead. So to cut costs, mix the Lyman#2 50/50 W/ pure & your 45colt will be happy. Harder than LYman#2, mix it 3/1 lead/lino or hardball, still gonna have a happy 45colt.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

it will work fine