Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.3 x 62 Which gun?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Thank everyone for their advice. Dealer has a Ruger American in .270 for $450.00. Think I am going to get it and rebarrel to 9.3 x 62. Will also put a muzzel brake on it. Next is to get a mold and reloading dies. I am told that the 9.3 is the same case head size as .30/06 just a mm too long. I have a case trimmer as much as I hate using it.
    Actually a mm short. The 30-06 is the 7.62x63mm in Europe.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Wayne I was trying to say that the .30/06 is 1mm too long and needed to be trimmed.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Well, yesterday I was in Sydney and met a friend who bought a coach gun off me in a gunshop / shooting range. When I was there, I saw a SS Ruger Alaskan in 375Ruger. Man, what a nice looking rifle, hell for stout. A box of 20 factory cartridges was $AU100! 220 rounds worked out the same as the new rifle! I rang around today, but none of the other big shops had one. One of the shops had one box of 20 cartridges for $AU86. The young lady at one shop I rang said that they had a 375 in stock. It turns out she was talking about a 375 H&H Zustava at $AU810 (my gunsmith charges $AU840 for a rebarrelling with a Walther barrel along with truing up of the action, which is pretty typical of Aussie gunsmiths, who generally prefer to true the action first, barrel cost is $AU450). I went and had a think about it and rang back about 15 minutes later, credit card in hand. I ended up with a guy this time and when I asked for the 375, he straight up said that he was pretty sure they only had smaller calibres. He checked and apologised on behalf of the young lady and said that she must have made a mistake. Thanked him and rang off, very disappointed. I rang the normal big shop I deal with (when my local gunshop can't provide what I want). None on the shelf, guy went out the back and said all they had was a 9.3x62. I asked if it was wood and had open sights and he checked the box and said 'yep, sure has!' Ok, lets try this one. When he opened the box to check numbers, etc he found that the factory had incorrectly labelled the box and it was in fact a synthetic stocked SS version, with no sights. It was $AU690. He knocked $40 off the price for the trouble, so I ended up getting it for $AU650, so now, I metricated with a 6.5x55 Swede and a 9.3x62!

I'm looking forward to a trip to Sydney to pick them up.

Nowwwwwwwwww, the local gunshop has a Synthetic stocked SS 300WM on the shelves. I'm tempted to get it (and sell the Ruger M77) and then all of my medium to heavy hunting rifles are all Zustavas; 6.6x55 Swede, 270W, 3006, 300WM (maybe), 9.3x62. I need a 22/250 or 243W and a 458WM to round it off, lol.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    Go 9.3x66 or what is commonly known as 370 sako. It is just 30-06 brass -- run it through the die and you have a whopper cartridge. Makes a lot of sense.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Find a used Savage 110 and have it rebarreled. What is a P17? never heard of one , have heard of a 1917 and a P14, must be some hybred.
    Back in the 1960's a number of marketers marketed the 1917 as a P17. I suppose that's where it originated.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    Yup... Hybred!

some mislabels die hard.... like many who say "bullet mold" when they mean "bullet mould"
    Other than one being American spelling and the other English spelling is there any other distinction between the two words?
    They have the same definition.

Quote Originally Posted by g5m View Post
    Other than one being American spelling and the other English spelling is there any other distinction between the two words?
    They have the same definition.
    After the American Revolution, your country was isolated from England (actually a pretty cool state of affairs). Consequently a lot of your spellings are the older spellings, whilst the English language in the Commonwealth of oppressed nations, evolved to include different spellings. With that in mind, you could argue that American English is more English than English English if you can understand my English.

But, we digress! Lets stop hijacking the thread before we get pinged by a moderator!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master
    The Britts contracted US makers to produce the P-14 in 303 Britt. As the world warmed up and we needed some arms for ourselves, US makers chambered the P-14 in our .30-06 and it was called the P-17. I can only assume, because I don't know, that the Britts got this off the ground in 1914 (.303 Britt - P-14) and we first produced the .30-06 version in 1917, hence "P-17".

After suffering long range fire from Boers using German made 7x57 rifles, the Brits were going to 'modernise' their infantry rifle and wanted to go to a powerful 7mm round, the 276 Enfield and a new Mauser style rifle. They produced 1000 P13 rifles which were used by the musketry school and a few squadrons of the cavalry and some selected units, including one in Egypt. The round was not without problems with excessive recoil and muzzle flash, indications of extreme muzzle wear, etc. As the brown was about to hit the fan, they reluctantly suspended their experiments and produced the rifle in the standard 303. As war production was in full tilt, the rifle manufacturing machinery was sent to the States and the production out sourced. It was decided to continue with the SMLE and use the P14 as a supplementary rifle with the idea in the back of their heads to maybe make this the British service rifle when the dust settled. When America was looking at joining in the punch up, production of the 1903 could not be met and the P14 rifle was adapted to handle the 3006 and the rifle was then called the U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1917 (nick named the M17, although Eddystone variants were labelled 'Model of 1917', produced in 1917-8 there were two and a half times more Doughboys carrying M1917s than Springfields and as such, it was the American Army's service rifle, but Army diehards refused to acknowledge it, insisting on keeping the 1903 which was an all American design, (after royalties had been paid to Paul Mauser, lol) alive.

Interestingly enough, most shooters look down their noses at Eddystone variants, preferring Remington variants (Winchesters are much rarer) and don't realise that the Eddystones are actually Remingtons, but were made in the Remington plant in Eddystone, Pennsylvania.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeh, I knew it was something like that.

Boolit Master
    Civilian Marksmanship Program people refer to the U.S Rifle, Caliber .30, Model of 1917 as a P17.

Boolit Mold
    Why are you set on a 9.3x62? Buy or build a .338-06. Better ballistics and less expensive to load for.

Quote Originally Posted by rugersworld View Post
    Why are you set on a 9.3x62? Buy or build a .338-06. Better ballistics and less expensive to load for.
    Unless you have some compelling reason, the 338/06 is a good choice, although I am not aware of factory rifles at a reasonable cost available in it, but the 338WM is an excellent calibre and is available in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye at a reasonable cost.

The 9.2x62 Mauser is becoming very popular in Australia for hunting and one of the reasons is that at the sightly slower (some will say saner) velocities, conventional old fashioned cup and core bullets work very well and it doesn't consume huge amounts of powder and with a bit of fiddling, you can use cheap or free 3006 brass (anybody who has been reloading has some of these kicking about under the bench, lol), so it does make sense.

I am looking forward to getting mine (SS / Plastic stocked M70 Zastava). Mind you, if Zastava made a 338WM, I don't think I would have entertained one.

Banned
    To All,

Unless you plan to hunt in Africa, there's little reason to select the 9.3x62 over the .338-06 or the .35 Whelen.

I hope to take plains game, a Cape Buff & perhaps a leopard next Fall with my Model 760, as "reformatted" to 9.3x62mm by JES. - Few nations in Africa will allow the .338-06 or the .35 Whelen for "dangerous game" but all allow the 9.3x62.
    (Offhand, I can think of no creature that currently walks about on Planet Earth that won't fall to a good hit with a .366 bullet of 280-300 grains at over 2,000FPS.)

Personally, I can tell little difference in the "kick" of a 9.3x62 over a .30-06, out of similar rifles.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.

or, let people get whatever they want, I have been wishing/saving/waiting for 2+ years for a cz550fs in 9.3X62mm and am so close I am going nuts. wanna try to talk me into a 338'06? just my 2 cents, which is worth...... probably about 2 cents!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Find a used Savage 110 and have it rebarreled. What is a P17? never heard of one , have heard of a 1917 and a P14, must be some hybred.
    Read this, maybe you'll learn what it was/is:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1917-enfield/

Probably meant an M17

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Probably meant an M17
    Who knows what he meant, but it was often called that, the P17, even though that isn't the correct name for it.

I thought the 303 would have had a better bore and chamber in it size wise, but been told that British inspectors over looked the production of them as they were being made here in the U.S. and that they were made with the "sloppy chamber" and large groups diameter. Anyone know for sure? Anyone have one that can tell us about the chamber and bore/groove?

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Who knows what he meant, but it was often called that, the P17, even though that isn't the correct name for it.

I thought the 303 would have had a better bore and chamber in it size wise, but been told that British inspectors over looked the production of them as they were being made here in the U.S. and that they were made with the "sloppy chamber" and large groups diameter. Anyone know for sure? Anyone have one that can tell us about the chamber and bore/groove?
    I've got an Eddystone with a fat boy stock and front and rear volley sights, so it was probably an early one. The Brits preferred sloppy chambers and bores so that they could use ammo from any tinpot factory in the Commonwealth and that it would fire no matter what. Accuracy was secondary to absolute and utter reliability. I don't know if that applies to the American made stuff, I feel that you guys would have worked closer to the specs like the Canadians as you both went into WW1 with target rifles.

I'm as busy as a one armed bricklayer in Syria at the moment, I will try and dig it out over the weekend and have a look. I bought it in 2005 when my wife was terminally ill and I was nursing her. I stuck it in the safe and haven't touched it since. It is well overdue for a range session.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    or, let people get whatever they want, I have been wishing/saving/waiting for 2+ years for a cz550fs in 9.3X62mm and am so close I am going nuts. wanna try to talk me into a 338'06? just my 2 cents, which is worth...... probably about 2 cents!
    In my opinion an upstart European cartridge like this deserves nothing less than a European Mauser actioned rifle.

In this case that means a CZ550.

They are usually accurate, hardy and dependable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast