Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Henry H001 in .22 Hornet?

Boolit Master

Henry H001 in .22 Hornet?

Does anyone know how much room is left in the Henry rimfire lever action? They would seem to be easy to mass produce and the action is pretty smooth. I've wanted a small caliber to cast and reload and was just curious if such a thing could be made. I doubt it would ever really be popular enough for mass production but I wonder if the action is even strong enough. I know they have made the Henry in .22 WMR but I think the Hornet is a little higher in pressure.

Boolit Master
    I certainly would be all over one! With .22 going the way it has lately it has only reminded me to speed up the process of getting a small caliber to cast and load for before this happens again. Also, with the cost of good .22 ammo, it would be sweet to have a little lever gun that could be reloaded for, but there would go a small fortune in molds with the way I work!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    On that note, whatever happened to the 22 Cooper cartridge? That was kind of a reloadable 22 mag? back in the 90s. Neat idea for sure on the hornet, I have one in a CZ bolt. Love it!

Boolit Master
    That would be a non-starter for me, .22 Hornet has higher pressure, get a Martini.

Boolit Master
    Great idea but the demand would be really low.

But as long as we are wishing 218 Bee would be way cool as well.

I'd be worried about the chamber pressure and bigger size of the head of the case having all that area to press against the die cast alloy receiver via the bolt. It doesn't seem like a good recipe for a long firearm lifespan.

Now if you wanted to consider using a Marlin 39, Winchester 9422 or Browning BLR as a starting point you may well be onto something. The all steel actions of those rifles may have a better chance of withstanding the power of the Hornet round.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

I also think the .22 Cooper would be just great in a lite lever gun. Load them little critters in a Dillon Square Deal and shoot like gang busters!

I wonder if the Henry could be cheaply mass produced in steel?

I would also like to see the Handi Rifle streamlined and lightened up a bit to more resemble a Rook rifle or walkabout piece in .22 Cooper, .257 mag, .22 Hornet and othe tiny centerfires.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    I know you are after an inexpensive repeater, but just as another option I have the Cimmaron Uberti 85 Lo-wall in Hornet. It's a dandy rifle. Needs a little trigger work, but they all do now. It's a little cheaper than the mini-sharps, and is very accurate with a Marbles Tang sight.

Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Well I remember the little bit of press the Cooper got some years ago and it seemed to be kinda a good idea? I realize rimfires are pretty easy but for those of us who love to reload?? Maybe getting youngsters into reloading? I suppose most anything for it is long gone.

But on a new note, I see the Cooper was loaded to around 48,500 cup, the Hornet runs around 43k. This maybe wouldn't be so good in a weak action. Worth the thought I guess?
    Last edited by ajjohns; 07-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.