Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .460" sizer?

Boolit Master

.460" sizer?

Almost everyone advises to use a .460" boolit in the .45-70 Marlin rifle. I've got a .459" sizing die for my Lyman 450 but I can't seem to find a source for a .460".

Accuracy is good with the .459" so far but I wonder if it could get better. Does anyone know of a sizing die that is compatible with my Lyman in .460"?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Almost everyone advises to use a .460" boolit in the .45-70 Marlin rifle. I've got a .459" sizing die for my Lyman 450 but I can't seem to find a source for a .460".

Accuracy is good with the .459" so far but I wonder if it could get better. Does anyone know of a sizing die that is compatible with my Lyman in .460"?
    Contact Buckshot, one of our longstanding members. He makes 'nonstandard' sizing dies, does excellent work and his prices are really good.

Boolit Master
    Thanks!

Or you can lap out a Ly./Lee/RCBS die yourself. Here's a link to Buckshot's article: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf Btw, the attached pic was from my Marlin #336 with CB's sized to .459".

Boolit Master
    Maven,

If mine will shoot groups like that with a .459" boolit I'll be a happy camper.

I've got a new mold I'm going to try with my present sizer first and then decide if a fatter boolit is needed.

Thanks again gents.

Boolit Buddy
    .459 has worked great for me in my Marlin Guide Gun. Like Maven...at 50 yds from a good rest...I get a BIG ragged hole.You might try handlubing some of your freshly cast bullets and shooting them "as cast" to see if you like the groups better. If you do, pan lubing might be the solution rather than buying another piece of gear.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido4198 View Post
    .459 has worked great for me in my Marlin Guide Gun. Like Maven...at 50 yds from a good rest...I get a BIG ragged hole.You might try handlubing some of your freshly cast bullets and shooting them "as cast" to see if you like the groups better. If you do, pan lubing might be the solution rather than buying another piece of gear.
    This is a great idea, and it's free.. Some Marlins get away with the smaller boolits, some do not. My 1895 Cowboy gets fed .462" boolits.

Boolit Master
    Do those .462" bullets chamber easily??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Do those .462" bullets chamber easily??
    Thats the reason they are that fat, it helps center them in the gigantic chamber. Drop one through the port, and it bounces off the rim. I have no idea how fat they would have to be to fill up the chamber, but bigger than that. .462" shoots well, so I quit honing out my sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one 45 cal mould that drops bullets at 4585 and my Marlin's barrel slugs 458. I run the bullets through a 459 sizer and this process adds the lube, fixes the GC but leaves the bullet unsized. It happens to shoot extremely well.

Sometimes you need to shoot what you have to see if it works.

Boolit Master
    When I was still loading alot for the 45-70 I called Buffalo Arms to order a .460" sizer to fit my Lyman and RCBS machines . At the time they didn't have any .460" but they were scheduled to be mdae relatively soon . They did however have a .461" on hand at the time so I told them to send me that . And it worked great I gotta say . Before that I'd gotten .432" and .433" dies from them for the 444 . Now I use the .433 exclusively !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines