Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the best fast burning powder for big cases

Boolit Master

In years past i have had great results with Bullseye powder in larger cases like the 357 .44 Mag as well as 454 Casull for loads up to 1,100 fps with cast bullets . excellent in any smaller case size also.
    When Tightgroup powder came out i tried it and it is also excellent ! it has replaced BE as my go to powder , as a plus it keeps my guns cleaner and duplicates the accuracy of BE, most of the time with the same powder charge as BE powder
    I like TG so much i buy only 8lb jugs of powder.

Boolit Buddy Nocturnal Stumblebutt's Avatar
    How big a case? For 38 spl and 45 acp, Bullseye, for bigger cases, I'd say unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnal Stumblebutt View Post
    How big a case? For 38 spl and 45 acp, Bullseye, for bigger cases, I'd say unique.

And why is this? I see it a couple times in this thread - curious why a bigger case would like unique better.

Bullseye has always been one of the cleaner burning powders that I've used. Clays is about the only thing I know of that burns cleaner.

Unique seems to have a tendency to lead less than other fast powders under lead boolits. I have no explanation for that at all, but it is what I have observed in a few different medium to large pistol calibers.

W-231 also works well as a fast powder in large cases under lead boolits, but I think that it burns just slightly dirtier than Bullseye.

I have seen other people have very good results with Titegroup, but I've never tried it myself.

Bullseye & Unique are my two favorites for lite to medium warm loads under lead boolits in pistol calibers, with Unique being favored as the loads progress towards warm. None of the powders listed here are my first choice for hot or semi-hot loads.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I have never used Unique or Bullseye cause none of my dealers can find it. But I have had great luck using 700X for my 45 Colt and 44 Special loads. Its a fast and clean burning powder that meters well in my Lee powder auto disk. I use it for reduced cowboy loads and standard loads.

I still have plenty left which is good cause now their out of that too. I saw they have American Select though. Its velocity is slightly lower but the guy I talked to loves it and said its about the cleanest powder he's ever used. If I run low on 700X I'll give it a shot and see how it works for me. He also had great things to say about Clays and Universal in 45 Colt as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    In years past i have had great results with Bullseye powder in larger cases like the 357 .44 Mag as well as 454 Casull for loads up to 1,100 fps with cast bullets . excellent in any smaller case size also.
    When Tightgroup powder came out i tried it and it is also excellent ! it has replaced BE as my go to powder , as a plus it keeps my guns cleaner and duplicates the accuracy of BE, most of the time with the same powder charge as BE powder
    I like TG so much i buy only 8lb jugs of powder.
    +1 on Titegroup comments. I've been impressed by TG in every aspect, including how fast my barrels heat up with the stuff.

Boolit Master

Dirty burning powder, clean burning powder . . .

Cast boolit shooting requires some cleaning anyway.

Red Dot at 6.1 grains with Lee 255 grain boolit . . . 780 fps (measured) and very accurate out of a friends gun!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have used Bullseye in cases up to .375 H&H with no issues.

Unique particle size IS an issue in progressive loading machines, such as Dillon or Star, won't meter!

Have no experience with the newer powders, as we buy Bullseye four 8-lb. caddies at a time on an annual basis and have done so with complete zatisfaction for 25 years, see NO reason to change..

Boolit Buddy
    Im gonna try a pound of American Select and a pound of Bullseye. my local shop has them in stock and both are pretty cheap. If it doesn't work for guns it should make a decent fertilizer!
    thanks for the responses
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

As above mentioned but don't forget AA#5, works great in the .45LC

Boolit Buddy
    Well I found this out, American Select is clean! I like it!
    There is almost no soot, and all the smoke is from the thick coat of LLA I think.

If I can get my loads dialed in so the accuracy is there i think it will be my new powder for .45 colt level Casull loads.
    I cant wait to try it in 9mm.
    The stuff seems to meter ok despite having huge flakes, its very "fluffy"
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master

Clean powder, dirty powder . . .

Hey cast boolit lube is what I find most of when cleaning.

I vote for 6.1 grains of Red Dot behind a 255 grain Lee Boolit.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12