Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best fast burning powder for big cases

Boolit Buddy

Whats the best fast burning powder for big cases

Other than Trail Boss and Titegroup, Whats the best fast burning target load type powder for big cases like the 45 colt?
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Bulleye or Unique
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Unique or bullseye.

I agree with Char-gars choices just not the priority given. Lol!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye was used for factory loads in the. 45 Colt for nearly 100 years, because its smaller particle size dispenses more uniformly when machine loading than coarser flake powders such as Infallible or Unique. A charge of 6.5 grains of Bullseye with 250-260 grain soft lead bullets closely approximates the velocity of factory loads, shoots to the sights of older fixed sight revolvers.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-27-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    How about American Select?
    Its touted as being very clean, which is a big plus for me
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Universal is my favorite for .45 Colt. I've also been successful with Greendot.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullseye for standard 45 Colt loads.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    The thing that turned me off about bullseye is that I have heard its kinda dirty, any truth to this?
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Master
    If you read it on the Interwebz it's gotta be true right?

Lol

People are full of it. ALL ammunition is dirty to some extent. There's been more bullseye burnt than Ingram Barge could float down the Mississippi. Sometimes I wonder if people ever clean their guns? I've burnt my share of bullseye and can't say it's any dirtier than anything else out there.

Boolit Master

Of course it's dirty. Which powder isn't? Never seen one actually leave the bore cleaner than a freshly cleaned bore.

Now, no sarcasm against the poster intended. You didn't know.

The real question is, "Is Bullseye dirty enough that it shouldn't be used?" My answer to that is no, it isn't.

If it's dirty isn't important, as it is, they all are. What is important is how dirty it is.

Boolit Master
    I think someone could say just about any of the fast pistol powders in a big case will be dirty as sin if it is loaded light enough and doesn't generate enough pressure to seal the case. An example would be my round ball loads in .44 Spl, I use a very light charge of Bullseye to make a nice quiet fun load, but the light (120 gr) bullet coupled with a light charge will let a lot of soot blow back on the cases. This is just a fact of life with that light of a load. On the other hand, 5.0 gr of BE and a 240 SWC makes a load at about standard .45 ACP numbers that seals the case very well and is a good light but not too light load.
    My preferred load for .44 magnum, and just about the only one I use is 9.5 gr of Unique and a 240 SWC, I bumped up from 9.0 till I found a load that would seal the cases and was much cleaner, then I have stuck with it.
    Unique and Bullseye are both claimed to be dirty, but they have been around for so long simply because they work, and it is possible to find a load of some sort for just about ANY gun, pistol, shotgun or rifle, that uses them which is why I will always use them.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

The best fast burning powder is the one that works best for you. It gets old hearing about "dirty" powders. The one's that say this all the time have they ever shot black powder firearms at all? Just the fact we shoot lubed cast boolits we're going to have less then clean guns that shoot factory jacketed.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
    The thing that turned me off about bullseye is that I have heard its kinda dirty, any truth to this?
    Lots cleaner than the BLACK POWDER it replaced! Plentiful, familiar, predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Lots cleaner than the BLACK POWDER it replaced! Plentiful, familiar, predictable.
    Amen and Amen!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus
    Vihtavuori N310, N320.

Ramshot Zip.

Vectan Ba 10, AS or A1.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Bub
    The best is the one you have readily available, and a lot of!
    "One man with a gun, can control 100 without one." Vladimir Lenin

Boolit Master
    Red Dot is pretty good as is Promo. I also find that Green Dot is pretty good and have worked with American Select which is a bit cleaner burning than the others and has larger flakes which can be an issue if a person is trying to load cases with small charge weights as it will bridge and not measure consistently. American Select worked pretty well in mid/upper end 45 ACP loads and lighter 45 Colt loads.

I like Universal and HP-38 are pretty good in my opinion but I've also gotten good results with Clays and Unique also. I also like Trailboss for some shooting with 45 Colt however I've never tried Bullseye or Titegroup in 45 Colt though I have loaded 9mm and 45 ACP with both before. I'm not a real fan of Bullseye mostly due to how poorly it meters for me as well as some of the Accurate powders.
    Joe

Heavy Bullet (over 255 grain) - Unique,
    Standard - Red Dot or Bullseye

Quote Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
    I find it funny, but don't we always think the "other powder" is the dirty stuff? I have shot a lot of Bullseye over the years, and I really think that it is truly one of the most universal pistol powders for mild to medium loads. Unique is just as universal. My vote falls to Bullseye. Used to love it in .45LC with 250gr. boolit.

To end on a chuckle: years ago I switched from using Unique in my .45LC to Bullseye because I thought the Unique was "dirty". I actually found it to be a more accurate load for me, but that was not the reason I switched. I don't give the "dirt" any consideration anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast