MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building an AR-15--what do I need to know?

Boolit Master
    This really depends on your goals for the rifle. A basic 16" barreled AR in 5.56 or .223 is a pretty straight forward assembly job. Good quality compatible parts will give you a good quality rifle. If your goal is a little higher; something that will shoot 1/2 moa or less, a better barrel with matched bolt and a couple of additional steps will help get you there. Still not rocket science.
    BD

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    After you build your first Armalite Rifle, it will be very hard to stop, they are fun. I am working with 80% billet lowers right now. BCG are available right now from AIM Surplus.

Laus Deo,

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Here is a thread from Maryland Shooters Forum that has some good information for people thinking about a build, particularly in post #1.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=23086
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

If you're going to built the upper yourself, you will need the specialized tools such as the upper vise block set, a torque wrench, a barrel wrench just to name a few. Unless you plan to build more than one, and I must warn you, it is addictive then you can figure that cost against simply buying a complete upper. I went the other way, I built the lower and bought a complete upper(300AAC).

Boolit Man
    Pretty much everything has been covered here, however one thing, a person stated you don't need a go/no-go gauge. Since this is your first build I highly recommend using the gauges. If you think it looks locked up by eye and it's not, or if something was machined wrong and you have that long and loose chamber, you will have a very bad day. JMHO but I still use the gauges every time.

One thing I have picked up over multiple builds from a pile of parts is some of the free floated hand guards take proprietary wrenches. YHM and Troy come to mind. Just use a strap wrench (be careful not to crush it though) and I have never had one that I could not get on using it. The Troy is a serious PITA to get right, but it is an excellent product. I refer to ARs as the Jeeps of the gun world. You can just buy anything premade and bolt it on and it works.

Good luck.
    Pulling the trigger will increase your bullets velocity by 100%.

In Remembrance
    Much thanks and appreciation for the replies, advice and PM offers to help out on this project.

I'm guessing that when Ricky adds up and sees the cost of finishing this thing out, there will be a lower up for sale. He's certainly not crazy about AR-15s and I have zero use for the things having had my fill of them in the service and in law enforcement. I'm thinking that the initial enthusiasm for the project may be waning, but we haven't talked about it since I posted the original message.

He want have any problem selling it. I'd buy it if the price was right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12