Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy weight, light load for contender 30/30

Boolit Master

Heavy weight, light load for contender 30/30

So I have two coffee cans full of boolits I cast from a borrowed mold. They are 311365 NOE. They weigh in at 200g pretty consistent. I originally wanted to use them for another caliber I no longer load for and there's no way I'm gonna melt them back down.

Any idea if these things could be made to shoot from a 30/30 Contender? I'm thinking around 7.0g of Unique to start for some 25-50 yard clay busting fun. I can actually seat these without deepseating and they act like a bore rider. If I leave the top two lube grooves exposed and only lube the bottom groove and the groove at the top of the gas check they engrave lightly but extract without issue.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1111-095-311365198GrSPT.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	73790

Boolit Master
    What barrel length? I'm thinking carbine yeah and short pistol not likely. I wouldnt waste a GC on em.

Boolit Master
    14" barrel.

Boolit Master
    Well it's probobly 1:14 twist. If its the standard long throat they may fit pretty well. I'd start around 1k and see what you get.

in your single shot T/C Contender for a light load try between 9-10 grains of Red Dot with that 200 grain NOE
    at one point I had this "good" load for my 30-30 Marlin 336
    I was using Lee 1.3 CC dipper and got 9.4 gr. Red Dot
    No wad or filler needed - powder is not sensitive to position of firearm
    Winchester brass, CCI 200 Lg Rifle primers, Gas checked LEE FN 173 gr. Water drop wheel weight mix,
    COAL (Cartridge Overall Length) 2.510 inches
    Est. velocity 1,400 fps+
    My use is for plinking / target practice, Zeroed at 50 yards was a good small game getter.
    this was a take off on "The Load" that Ed Harris promoted in larger cartridges.

Boolit Master

I've been "playing" with the 30-30 for a while and have recently been studying data for the old 32-40. I'm thinking similar case capacity and the 32-40's accuracy is difficult to argue with. The next loads I will try will be a 190gr bullet from an Accurate mold and between 13 and 15 grains of IMR4227. This should produce velocities in the 1,300 to 1,500 fps range and if it performs anywhere in a 30-30 near where it apparently does in the 32-40 accuracy should be excellent. I am shooting in both 20" and 24" rifle barrels.
    Good Luck with your experiments,
    Rick

My Husqvarna .30/30 bolt action shows marginal stability with a similar boolit. 1-14 might be a spot slow.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

My Contender has a 23 inch barrel.

With the Lee 170 grain, I get very good accuracy using 9 to 10 grains of Unique.
    I would not go below 8 grains with the 170 but 7 might work well with the 200.

Note that this is a plinking load, or small game. It is only around 1200 fps.
    I would not use it for hunting.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post

Note that this is a plinking load, or small game. It is only around 1200 fps.
    I would not use it for hunting.

Exactly,what I'm after. Only hunting Ill do with it is slaughter some paper and some clay targets sitting on the berms at the range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Thats an awfully loooooong boolit for a 14" twist.
    Yeah, and the speeds I plan to try, I figure she'll wobble like a Granada hubcap.

Only pulling the trigger will tell for sure. Lol

Boolit Master

It is only too long if it doesn't work.

Don't give up before you try it.

If it doesn't work, blow $20 and get the Lee 150 or 170 grain two cylinder mold.

- Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    It is only too long if it doesn't work.

Don't give up before you try it.

If it doesn't work, blow $20 and get the Lee 150 or 170 grain two cylinder mold.
    Actually, I think if it don't work, I'll go the extreme opposite. I have a Lee 100g rn plain base boolit. I bet I can sling em 1800 fps or better without leading. ......or maybe not but one cool thing about short barrels, they're easier to clean when you do something wrong.

I love this thing. I'm actually a little pissed I didn't get one sooner; thinking about all the time I've wasted not having one.

In Remembrance

I use 7 grains of Unique in my Handi-rifle .30-30AI with 200 and 230 grain boolits with very good accuracy. However the Handi has 1 in 10" twist. Nonetheless, the Lee 230 grain 309-230 TLBT slug is barely stable at 100 yards. The same load (7 grs. Unique) is a tack driver with the Lee 309-115GC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    14" barrel.
    Just because it's a 14" barrel does not mean it's a 1 in 14" twist. Best you confirm the twist before you try the heavy boolits. The early TC 30 caliber barrels were 1 in 14" twist, all of the newer ones are 1 in 10" twist.

I just tried shooting 30 caliber 210gr boolits from a 1 in 14" twist.........keyhole.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    Just because it's a 14" barrel does not mean it's a 1 in 14" twist. Best you confirm the twist before you try the heavy boolits. The early TC 30 caliber barrels were 1 in 14" twist, all of the newer ones are 1 in 10" twist.

I just tried shooting 30 caliber 210gr boolits from a 1 in 14" twist.........keyhole.
    THat was NVScouter that suggested it was a 14 twist. I never said either way because I don't know and haven't taken the time to check.
    ...but I certainly need to do that!! LOL

Boolit Master
    I have a 14" 30-30 TC barrel with a 1 in 14" twist. I can't get it to shoot a 180 gr. boolit at all. I haven't tried any thing heavier. It shoots great with any thing from 170 gr. on down to 110 gr. My prefered loads are with Unique, using 7 gr. on up to 10 gr. and any where in between.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Actually, I think if it don't work, I'll go the extreme opposite. I have a Lee 100g rn plain base boolit. I bet I can sling em 1800 fps or better without leading. ......or maybe not but one cool thing about short barrels, they're easier to clean when you do something wrong.

I love this thing. I'm actually a little pissed I didn't get one sooner; thinking about all the time I've wasted not having one.
    You can absolutely do this.

That said, I can't get the 311008 to group from my .30-30

- Henry Ford

That said, I can't get the 311008 to group from my .30-30
    Funny you should say that. I am having the same issue with NOE 314008's sized to fit my .30-30 Husky. Not doing well. 160gr boolit cloverleaf groups.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Okay boys, lemme ask you another question on the opposite side of things.

I have the 100g Lee plain base I mentioned earlier. I sent some to a friend who has actually used them in 300 blackout with good results. He is powder coating them and its actually cycling in his AR. That's great. He says zero leading.
    Well, he's sending me some powder coated to try. I wonder just how fast I could drive these out of this contender? The slow twist should work well for me here, in theory.
    I'll post this in the powder coat thread too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast