WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester High Wall

Boolit Master

These two rifles (new Winchester/Brownings vs the original style) should not even be compared on a one to one basis, they are NOT the same rifles!!!! Fellas the old style vs the new may have the same name but they are similar ONLY in that they are both falling blocks (but so is a Ruger no.1) and share a vague outward appearance but it ends there, they are TOTALLY different! Nothing about them is the same, not only is the barrel different but all the internal parts are different, I don't mean similar but just won't interchange, it is a completely different design!

Boolit Buddy
    Early on Browning had the B-78 prior to renaming it the B-85. IIRC the reason was that JMB designed the rifle and first marketed it as a model 78 (in 1878) prior to Winchesters acquiring the rights to the design. When Browning and Winchester fell under the same leadership in the 1980's the name of the model was changed to the B-85. I had one of the B78's a couple of decades ago...crescent buttplate and the shorter 24" octagon barrel. It was a shooters dream except for that stupid trigger abomination that they put in it. I think 4 lbs was about as light as it would adjust. It would handle loads that your shoulder wouldn't handle. I had two loads for it...one with the Remington 405 gr bullet and one with the 300 gr Barnes X. I ran the 300 gr slug regularly at over 2400 fps.....a real long range shooter. Never tried cast in it, but groups with J bullets were really good. I ended up trading it on a Parker SxS... I'd have no trouble buying another one if the price was right.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Ed View Post
    Early on Browning had the B-78 prior to renaming it the B-85. IIRC the reason was that JMB designed the rifle and first marketed it as a model 78 (in 1878) prior to Winchesters acquiring the rights to the design. When Browning and Winchester fell under the same leadership in the 1980's the name of the model was changed to the B-85. I had one of the B78's a couple of decades ago...crescent buttplate and the shorter 24" octagon barrel. It was a shooters dream except for that stupid trigger abomination that they put in it. I think 4 lbs was about as light as it would adjust. It would handle loads that your shoulder wouldn't handle. I had two loads for it...one with the Remington 405 gr bullet and one with the 300 gr Barnes X. I ran the 300 gr slug regularly at over 2400 fps.....a real long range shooter. Never tried cast in it, but groups with J bullets were really good. I ended up trading it on a Parker SxS... I'd have no trouble buying another one if the price was right.

Ed
    For those who don't know, the trigger on the new ones is around 3-3.5lbs. You can pull part of the trigger assembly out of the gun and send it to Lee Shaver and he can return it to you at about 1.5lbs for around forty or forty-five dollars. Lee is an outstanding gunsmith and does all of Pedersoli warranty work and makes products for these types of guns.

For those who don't know, the trigger on the new ones is around 3-3.5lbs
    That would be fine with me. Anything much less makes me nervous. I've handled relatively new(past few years) several different calibers from S&W revolvers and the SA pull was scary. It was as light or lighter than a set trigger. That's an accident waiting to happen.

From what all I've gleaned, the Browning '85 BPCR is the way to go unless you want to wait months or years for a Ballard or Sharps. I think one of the BPCR's in 45-70 would be superb.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    You would not be disappointed selecting a Browning BPCR in 45-70.
    ph4570

I've looked at these and for what you get with the Browning "infamous" stocks, I think it's a good deal in comparison with a C. Sharps that's comparable. You'd have to get a rear tang and globe front on the C. Sharps for another $500-600 which would bring the price up to around $2600-2700 and the wood doesn't look near as good.

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detai...SIC-45-70.html
    NRA Patron Member

ColColt, before you jump out and buy a new Winchester, you might want to check and see if member Hiwall55 still has his 1885 (Uberti I think) for sale. I would have bought it, but really wanted an 1874 and couldn't afford both. It was a beautiful gun, without any bumps or bruises, and had some of the best sights you can buy, and he already had loads worked out for several different moulds. Look him up on here and PM him if interested. If I remember right he had it shooting 1.5 MOA out to 1000 yds. If I wanted an 1885, his gun woulda been mine.

Boolit Master
    For a little extra money I'd pick a C. Sharps 1885 over the Browning/Winchester just due to the set trigger which I really like for offhand shooting. Mind you, Lee Shaver apparently does a great trigger job on the Miroku built 1885's.

Chris.

having the browning BPCR in 45-70 I will chime in with my take on this fine rifle.

first off its too dang heavy to hunt with!

second off ... for the money... an older BPCR browning comes with a Badger barrel ... nice repeatable rear tang sight ...[matter of fact there is no dovetail for a barrel rear sight]... nice globe front sight and beautiful wood in the fancy dept. steel checkered shotgun butt plate. very nice wood checkering in the best places. and mine has a trigger that I definitely would NOT want any liter... [matter of fact when I go to shoot it I burn two or three just to re-educate myself on the magnificent trigger it possesses] .

the only down side I can find with it is the weight for hunting... a no go for me. other then that it does all I ever dreamed of having a Hiwall look-a-like do. it is true that it is no original Hiwall! there is nothing to resemble an original but the general lines BUT ... for around 1500 dollars you can get a 'new in box' like rifle that is ready to shoot immediately where as the original rifle will set you back another grand if lucky for a rifle that is ORIGANAL in all respects including a working mans stock and grain with the older blackpowder only steel that has been shot with God knows what kinda loads in its life time... [ don't get me wrong...im still looking for my oldster that wants to follow me home myself] ... as for the browning modern rifle...what a dandy and will keep getting better n better with age and that bore just loves paperpatch n blackpowder. twas built for it as a matter of fact!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    It s no original Hiwall! there is nothing to resemble an original but the general lines
    I don't understand why folks talk about these two rifles as if they are somehow the same gun but just slightly different, the new versions are waaaaay more than just an updated version of the old! Except for the falling block and a VAGUE outward appearance they are completely different rifles that share little in common, the internals of the action on the newer ones have been completely redesigned and shares almost nothing with the old, it is MUCH more complex and contains a heck of a lot more parts than the old plus there is a world of difference in the exterior appearance yet most times in these discussions they are talked about as if they are one and the same.

old red ... did I somehow give you the impression that I thought the two rifles were any where near the same? I am well aware of most if not all the differences between the jap-Chester's and the real item. if one will read my post I believe I even ... in very straight forward language ... stated as you have hi-lighted ... there is NO similarity between the two with the exception of the 'sorta like' lines of the two.

maybe ive been up for too long and ive somehow misunderstood your post... ive re-read both and it seems that you were/are speaking to me with your last posting here with some sorta misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    old red ... did I somehow give you the impression that I thought the two rifles were any where near the same?

No it is I that apparently worded my reply wrong, I did understand and I was agreeing with you and the quote was intended to show that I was in agreement. However after re-reading my reply I can see where I screwed up and it did not come out the way I intended, sorry for the confusion but I certainly see why you took it the way you did and I will more carefully choose my wording in the future.

not feelin too good bud...I know better then to reply when the world is kinda upside-down... it weren't you...kinda touchy I guess. all is well pard and ill go sleep n see if I can get rite again...we said the same thing I see.

Boolit Master

Wish I was back up in your neck of the woods, been 30 years since I was in Alaska (Anchorage visiting a buddy) but my wife just don't won't to leave her relatives or I would be packing tonight.

For a little extra money I'd pick a C. Sharps 1885 over the Browning/Winchester just due to the set trigger which I really like for offhand shooting.
    If I'm not mistaken the Browning BPCR has an adjustment screw under the leaver just inside the trigger housing. As I mentioned, anything lighter than 3 pounds makes me nervous. It doesn't matter to me what it weighs as I'm not a hunter...just a paper puncher. I don't like standing out in the rain, dark mornings waiting for Bambi to possibly come dashing by. I've done it but quit after someone nearly took a shot at us.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

My Japchester short rifle weighs 8.5#. Just right to hunt with.
    The 22" barrel may be too short for BP, even though the Springfield carbines had 22" barrels, I don't use BP in this rifle.
    It's an awful pretty rifle to drag through the woods, but that hasn't stopped me before.
    I use the 457122 over 15Gr. of Unique, and am happy with 4" groups. That still gives me "Minute of deer" at 200 yards.
    As always; YMMV
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Buddy
    I still have the pedersoli Hiwall,factory sights, Yours for $1250.00 plus shipping

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind the heavier trigger you'll like the Browning BPCR. I like my trigger pulls to be measured in ounces, particularly for offhand shooting. The new model Browning/Winchester rifles are really nice. I sold one of the light weight barreled ones in .45-70 a while ago. It had some of the nicest wood I'd ever seen and I had the trigger done to about 2 3/4 lbs. It was too light for a target rifle but would make an excellent hunting rifle.

Chris.

I placed one bid on the Browning and actually won it late this afternoon. In fact, I was the only bidder. It was in mint condition so, I don't know why no one else bid on it. At any rate, looks like I have yet another toy to tinker with soon.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up An update for more info-

Quote Originally Posted by ColColt View Post
    I placed one bid on the Browning and actually won it late this afternoon. In fact, I was the only bidder. It was in mint condition so, I don't know why no one else bid on it. At any rate, looks like I have yet another toy to tinker with soon.
    Gents-
    If you want authoritative info on the Browning BPCR rifles, Winchester and Browning Highwalls, and things of that nature, seek out the Master of this topic, TexasMac, to be found on this forum. He has published a fine text on this topic for those that own or want to own one of these fine rifles, and is right now putting together an update to that manual as well-
    I purchased my 45-70 BPCR Browning from him, and it is an outstanding shooter, and a beauty as well. My other hiwall is a Miroku/Win 1885 in 38-55 that is extremely accurate with cast boolits- never had a j-word down the tube- never will. I use it on ground squirrels to stay in shape-
    Inquire of Texasmac for the best, tested info-

358wcf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast