Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Howdy all,first post,and a no doubt silly one at that!

Boolit Mold

Howdy all,first post,and a no doubt silly one at that!

Well,finally decided to bite the bullet and join a internet board.Let's see how this goes...
    Been rolling my own since the "70s,mostly revolver and heavy caliber rifle;but have stepped off the deep end with my current obsession.Traded into a 1903 Stevens 44 1/2 falling block sporter that snaps shut like a bank vault;in the redoubtable caliber of .32-20.Have been playing around with stock factory(Ultramax 115 grn.)home rolled BP loads(110 paper patched,necksized the Ultramax cases),and even some smokeless pistol powder loads.
    Given the sights(original),the old girl will shoot better than I can any day,although hitting a 12x12 at 300 yards 3 of 5 offhand with that buckhorn rear and blade front did do my day a lot of good.My interest now lies in testing a couple of slow powders,slightly heavier bullets.Has anyone ever used powders as slow as IMR 4350 in cases this size,and if so;what did you think of the results?
    Thanks in advance for any info,grumpyolshot

Welcome.
    Give it some time. Someone here will have knowledge to share.

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy, Grumpy! You have run onto one of my favorite rifles in what may be my favorite cartridge. I'm sure you'll get good support here on this site. Since you've dipped your toe in this cyber-pond, you might as well go ankle-deep and check the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA) as well. Those guys are totally focused on the kind of rifle and questions you are asking. I hope to see you over there too!

Here they are: http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Hey Grumpy -
    Where in Virginia? I live in Pulaski.
    I agree with Kermit, ASSRA is focused on single shots and accuracy!
    There a quite a few of us scattered around the commonwealth.
    Tim K
    trk
    aka Cat Whisperer
    Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
    N 37.05224 W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Boolit Master

Seems that some mighty fine shooting is being done with AA #9, albeit with heavy bullets- check with Paul Shuttleworth at CPA Corp www.singleshotrifles.com
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    The 32-20 is way too small for any medium or slow rifle powder meaning it is way to small for 4350.
    The 32-20 in high pressure loads is more like a magnum pistol. Look for data using IMR4227, Alliant 2400, W296, H110, SR4759 and powders with similar burning rates.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyolshot View Post
    Well,finally decided to bite the bullet and join a internet board.Let's see how this goes...
    Been rolling my own since the "70s,mostly revolver and heavy caliber rifle;but have stepped off the deep end with my current obsession.Traded into a 1903 Stevens 44 1/2 falling block sporter that snaps shut like a bank vault;in the redoubtable caliber of .32-20.Have been playing around with stock factory(Ultramax 115 grn.)home rolled BP loads(110 paper patched,necksized the Ultramax cases),and even some smokeless pistol powder loads.
    Given the sights(original),the old girl will shoot better than I can any day,although hitting a 12x12 at 300 yards 3 of 5 offhand with that buckhorn rear and blade front did do my day a lot of good.My interest now lies in testing a couple of slow powders,slightly heavier bullets.Has anyone ever used powders as slow as IMR 4350 in cases this size,and if so;what did you think of the results?
    Thanks in advance for any info,grumpyolshot
    EDG

Boolit Master
    AA-9, 4100, 4227,VV-120, etc.

Boolit Master
    grumpy, I would love to see pictures of that 44 1/2. I have never seen one chambered for a pistol round.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Here is a recent thread in a CPA 44 1/2 in .32-20 on the ASSRA site. It might be of use to you.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1366481589

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Also, here is a nice article from the Single Shot Exchange written by Paul Shuttleworth ( owner of CPA rifles ) on the .32-20 for schuetzen:

http://www.singleshotexchange.com/wh...-paul-shu.html

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master
    Grumpy, are you out there? You have responses from a couple of my single shot friends (one virtual, one FTF) and I am over in VA as well. What do you mean by "Virginia for now" on your logo? If you are going to be around for a while, I am in the Central VA area and love to shoot. I don't have a 44 1/2 or a 32-20 rifle right now, but have had both. Another SS friend is over in the Roanoke area and also likes to shoot both of them, in fact he and TRK are planning on meeting me at a range Friday to do some serious shootin' and lie tellin'.

Froggie