WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman mold

Boolit Buddy

Lyman mold

I picked up a Lyman 2 cavity from a member here not long ago and just noticed that when I hold it up to the light while fully closed I can see a gap between them. The others I have aren't like this. What can be done to correct this?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I would clean it real good and make sure there is no lead in the alignment holes. I have had a tiny, unnoticeable layer of lead cause that to happen.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

a speck of lead/debris on either mold half , one or both the pins may be too far out or may have developed a burr around the hole - for the former a lil tap with a brass hammer usually sets it in a wee bit for the latter a judicious filing/stoning to bring the face smooth again or as 500 stated the hole may not be clear , lubing these really helps save wear and tear on them ! worst possible case would be a warped mold ( rare but can happen ) and last but not least it could of been dinged on any parting edge and the burr holds it barely open
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd cast with it 1st.

Check the diameter of the bullets cast. If normal, I'd ignore it.
    Might be a friend to you as it will aid in venting.

Ben

Boolit Buddy

I just picked up a few molds on Ebay and was going over them this past weekend. One of them was in the same condition after a thorough cleaning. I found that there was a small burr on the edge of one of the alignment pin holes that was keeping the pin from going all the way in. It wasn't lead, it was actually a burr caused by something dinging the edge of the hole. I carefully matched the hole diameter with a drill bit and removed the burr by hand turning the bit after inserting from the non-mating side of the hole. A little polishing and the mold was mating perfectly. Just something to check. Best wishes, Gary
    Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks all I got it. Took the mold off the handle and they fit together just fine. I am using a Lee handle and all I did was flip the molds over and problem solved. No more light through the closed mold.