RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 98 of 742 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148198598 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master
    Magana.

Do not give up. You should never have used the FCD. I use Dillon dies loading 9mm and they are fine -- but any standard taper crimp die will do the job.

I use W231 or HP 38 (same powders) and do not get leading. I have used Clays as well. You have a sizing issue (could be affected by the crimp) or lack of lube/coating. Focus there first before worrying about powders.

Alloy could be a problem but it can normally be resolved with sizing. But it looks as though you have tired up to .358 without success and that is puzzling.

Posting a picture of your bullets before loading and after removal from the finished round may be helpful.

Don Verna

Thanks guy! I really apriciate all the help.
    Ill post a picture of the coated projectile once Im back home.
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Master
    if you have a bullet puller hammer, pull a few and look for coating shaved off. A lot here in OZ had this problem when loading on a Lee pro1000 that seated and crimped in the one die station.

My 357Sig loads are loaded with a severe heavy crimp. I can pull the bullets and the coating is undamaged from the crimp.
    I use Dillon dies.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-30_20-47-25_778.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	90063
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-30_20-47-51_800.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	90064
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

2 or 3 coats? My XDs 9 did that first coating try (green coating). Added a 3rd coat, seated ~ 0.01 deeper, little harder alloy and changed from WST back to 231, problem solved. Don't know which was the fix but it worked in 3 XDs9's. Yours is overrun leading, maybe shaved when loading or from the sharp bore edge.
    Whatever!

Banned

1)Ditto trev: the dillon seats in one station, "it does nothing but push bullet down," does not even touch brass. I just noticed that tonite, learning new S1050.
    2)I have a lyman seater die that seats but squeezes brass too.
    3)Last step of the dillon is great for coated bullets. My spent brass use to be black on one side, now my brass is clean around.

Boolit Master
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Trev you still got any of them projectiles I sent you?? If so would you please test one for hardness, I have no real clue what these COWW are working at bhn wise.. I have no tester..

Nice find on the droppers Havent seen one on the last few trips, did see some of the territorial trees they claw the bark off though.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    I gave them to Hitek Joe.
    COWW is about 10 to 12
    BHN
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I would pull a bullet and measure. FCD will size down. Another note is the expander from Dillon is not meant for larger diameter boolits. It is engineered for jacketed stuff. I had a lead shaving problem in 9mm. Got a Mr Bullet expander and eliminated 99% of the scraping. Hard to push a .357 into a .355 hole and expect good results. First step is to pull a boolit and inspect coating then measure with micrometer. Hardball alloy only for 9mm and 40. 45acp doesn't really care but the pressure from the smaller ones is significantly more. I use both titght group and bullseye and given the above steps have had no problems once I got a Breville oven that has consistent temps.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Ausglock - after recovering a PCd 40SW, I can recommend pistol mould with NO lube groove for coated, but BB. A flat base 165 into a rock pile ~ 15', only a couple thou. 'tail' on the base & LG. Sized 0.401" for an XDm 40. Really tough (hard?) alloy best weight retention was 98%, 5" into the pile ( wet frozen combination of blue/black paving shale, limestone chat & some mud). Doubt if the range would like me shooting steel plates with this alloy. Couldn't find any of the HiTek coated 9mm but expect the same results. Recovered slugs are a real eye opener.
    Whatever!

Wife just bought me a 4 die Lee Delux pistol set with carbide dies, comes with a FCD included, thinking I might put that to one side for Jwords and buy a lee taper crimp for the casts.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

edit: it's the 90963 coded set for 9mm Luger.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    the Lee Carbide FCD in 9mm is no problem as the 9mm case is tapered. The 40 S&W case is straight and the FCD is a problem with the 40. Not the 9mm.
    Use it .
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Wife just bought me a 4 die Lee Delux pistol set with carbide dies, comes with a FCD included, thinking I might put that to one side for Jwords and buy a lee taper crimp for the casts.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

edit: it's the 90963 coded set for 9mm Luger.
    My answer: it depends on your situation.

I started out using the FCD and liked it because it resulted in a round that passed my cartridge go/no-go gauge. But, my CZ-75 is susceptible to leading, and, after pulling a loaded boolit, I found that my carefully oversized .358" had been squished back to .356". I now use a taper crimp die (and my cartridges no longer pass the gauge check).

So, I wouldn't automatically set it aside. It provides a useful function. But, if you need oversized boolits, then you'll probably need to go the taper crimp die route.

Boolit Master

Is anyone PISTOL shooting HI-TEC METALLICS tracking any signs of barrel wear?

Boolit Master
    A mate runs an indoor range. He has a Glock 17 that has over 1,000,000 rounds of gold coated pills through it. The bore is perfect. There is erosion at the chamber end if the bore and peening of the barrel hood extension . But it still shoots great. I ran a few mags through it a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 12-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Ausglock,

That's good news about wear, as I have a BUNCH OF 38'S AND 45'S GOLD METALLIC COATED.
    I'm going to try to make some GREEN Boolits now.

Note taking time again, I'm pretty confident with the GOLD now, Green will be I testing coating TIME/AMOUNT.

Boolit Master
    Bake temp and time is the same for the green as it is for the gold. I use 5-1-7 mix for all coatings.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Thanks, Mate.

5 what and 7 what?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Master

5 COLOR, 1 CATALYST, 7 ACETONE is the ratio.

You can use teaspoons or 55 gallon drums, the ratio matters, not the measuring instrument.