RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 9 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Gunoil. try 1 heavier coat and see how it goes. having no lube groove is a bit bonus.
    Also Northern NSW is where I am.
    Google earth, "Ulmarra NSW au"

Bmiller. Will do.
    The powder I use is 4.6gr AP-70 which is sold in the US as Universal Clays.

Ap-50 is also sold as International Clays and is a great 45ACP powder with coated bullets. I run 4.6gr of AP-50 with a 230gr RN coated bullet.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    can i do 1 coat on the lite 380/9mm bullets for plinking? Ferrara
    I have done 147g subsonic loads with one coating and didn't have any issues. I have talked to a few makers in OZ that swear by one coat or two coats. It is so easy once you get to the coating portion, and the cost per coat is so minimal, I don't see why you would not put two coats unless you were experimenting. I have put bullets through comps, go 3 coats for comps and cans.

If you notice, the coating actually turns into a powder with the heat and pressure when shot, it basically insulates the lead on the base of the bullet from the heat of the powder burn, the coating on the sides stays stuck to the bullet, even though the base may be burned/flaked by time you can recover the bullet. The more coating you have on the bullet, the better it is going to hold together. Moderate conditions I don't see a reason one coat would not work, and I am pretty sure Joe will back that up. If you are pushing the bullet harder or in unique circumstances (vented barrel, comp, can) you need a thicker coat on the outside of the bullet to hold up to the hot gases making contact with the sides of the bullet. We are talking pennies per 100 bullets coated, so if I were doing for just myself, I would coat everything twice. I coat and cure in 240lb batches and it only takes me about two hours to cure with 3 coats, most of that time is waiting for coating to dry or bullets to cool down. I spend way more time culling bullets and sizing than coating, coating is the easy part. I wish someone would come up with a better collator than MA systems!

Nick

Banned

yea , might try for 380! thanks .

Took many moons! 9mm are tough on Lee LM, loadmastervideos.com/forum helped with my outfit below, and mrbulletfeeder.net/dillon/RCBS/machine shop local. video below with HTS hi-tek-supercoat.
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9e0b3980.mp4
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Coated 3 lots of 100 bullets last night. The new shiny Black with each of the 3 different catalysts.

The 2-Extreme catalyst coating made sizing the .358 bullets to .356 super easy.

Going to load them up tonight for Sunday's testing.
    Also going to coat some 40 cal bullets with the black/2-ext mixture as well.

Note to self.... Cast more bullets so I have something to coat.

Wanted: A magma Mark 5,6 or 7 and a Sizing machine. Delivered to OZ
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post

Wanted: A magma Mark 5,6 or 7 and a Sizing machine. Delivered to OZ
    I am having trouble getting them in the US! I am number 40, 41, 81 and 82 in line for bullet master 8's and one lube master that will ship with the first two bullet masters, that was as of last week. Your number jumps in bunches as they make them in batches as parts come in. Hopefully I will get the first two this year. They had a shortage of sprue plates for dies earlier this year and I offered to take a machine without dies ( I didn't order dies, I have plenty) and I didn't have any luck skipping in line, they are pretty strict with first in, first out.

Banned
    I don't know if this has been covered or not, but is it possible to heat treat bullets coated with Hi-Tek? I figure that if you were to apply the coating first, then the heat treat process (1hr in the oven at 450F) would ruin the coating (the instructions from Bayou bullets says over baking makes it brittle). But if I heat treat first, then curing the Hi-Tek would anneal the bullet. Some have said that the temperature and time spent curing the coating would not have much of an effect on a heat treated bullet, but my testing has shown otherwise.

Banned

trevor, ive waited at least 90 days on my magma star lubesizer, over 800 dollars to my door. She said it may be here in 10 days or so.

Boolit Master
    Well, HI-TEK joe sent me some experimental colours today. I now have a red and a bright darkish blue. there is also a maroonish red/purple and a dark royal blue. I haven't mixed any of the last 2 yet.
    I have coated with the DD red and the bright blue. going to cook them tomorrow night.

There is a bloke that has a commercial setup, but he is only doing small production. Might have to make him an offer to buy him out.
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-12-2015 at 07:15 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbopanda View Post
    I don't know if this has been covered or not, but is it possible to heat treat bullets coated with Hi-Tek? I figure that if you were to apply the coating first, then the heat treat process (1hr in the oven at 450F) would ruin the coating (the instructions from Bayou bullets says over baking makes it brittle). But if I heat treat first, then curing the Hi-Tek would anneal the bullet. Some have said that the temperature and time spent curing the coating would not have much of an effect on a heat treated bullet, but my testing has shown otherwise.
    No idea.
    You might have to try it and see what happens.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

yea, trevor,,, buy him out. Carolina blue would be nice! I love this stuff, bout any color as long as ive got some.

I gotta hunt a motor, I have rod and rod-end bearings. Ray will wire it for me. John will weld cam and i'll paint cams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI
    Would HTSupercoat stick to steel?

Boolit Master
    red.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-10_20-59-41_493.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	75751

Name:	2013-07-10_20-59-54_119.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	75752

bright blue.

Name:	2013-07-10_21-00-04_777.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	75753

Name:	2013-07-10_21-00-10_509.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	75754
    Last edited by oneokie; 04-11-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: language
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Where ya gettin that perforated sheet from?

I can only find full 1800 x 3000 mm sheets in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    dog dick red.

Name:	2013-07-10_20-59-41_493.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	75751

Name:	2013-07-10_20-59-54_119.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	75752

bright blue.

Name:	2013-07-10_21-00-04_777.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	75753

Name:	2013-07-10_21-00-10_509.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	75754
    Joe,

I need these!

Nick

Boolit Master
    Any recovered boolit pictures? Specificly looking for rifle in the .308-.458 range. I'm courious how the coating holds on.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotHound View Post
    Where ya gettin that perforated sheet from?

I can only find full 1800 x 3000 mm sheets in Perth.
    A mate runs a sheet metal business here in town. He had some scrap lying around and bent them up for me.

Each tray is 12"x12". $10 per tray. I use 4 for drying and another 4 for cooking.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

8x3 foot sheet of stucco wire for 8 dollars at home depot.

Air-staple gun for wood frame, light cheap wood, like 1$ and change for some 6 foot pieces. I like a 4 or 5 foot dry rack with 15$ box fan.

Banned

Someone wanted to see HTS hi-tek-supercoat bullets at 800 degrees. Here they are, the shell still soft and removable with spoon and lead melted out.

Love Life
    I got some test bullets coated with the green in the mail today. I'll load them up full throttle in the 45 acp and 9mm to shoot this weekend. Hopefully all goes well with the 9mm as it is a Glock. The bullets I got are .356 and I usually feed my Glock a .357 bullet lubed with speed green and gas checked.

I expect it to be uneventful though, since this coating has been in use in Australia for 20 years. Looks like I can off load a lubesizer and just use Lee push through dies.

Boolit Bub
    Bought a black and decker toaster over an walmart for 29 bucks.. easy removable rack, and will go up to 450 deg no prob. Just did my first back. Tip for other newbies... LET LUBE DRY ALL THE WAY before you put it in oven. Even a very small amount of still wet lube will boil when you put in over and leave a little hard spot. Next thing I'm trying to figure out is a better delivery method for the mixed lube, instead of swirling them in a cool whip tub and dumping them out. Hard not to waste any that way.

Boolit Master
    Drew. It will not be wasted.
    When you do the next swirling, the coating on the bucket will get picked up by the new mixture that is added.
    remember, this coating is always fluid until baked.

Get a cloth with acetone and rub inside your tub. The colour will come off the tub easy.

Even the coating that sticks to your drying trays can be wiped off.

I let my coated bullets sit for 15 minutes and then warm them with a hair dryer, just before I place them in the oven.
    Love life: All coated 9mm bullets in OZ are sized .356, fired in Glock 17A, 17L, G34 factory barrels with no problems at all.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 9 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109509 ... LastLast