MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 87 of 742 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187587 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 14829

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

After releasing the lead from the over-cooked coatings, which strangely enough was actually interesting to do. I checked ~100 of 3 coating sessions, these last ones pass the wipe test with flying colours but an occasional one has a flake issue under smash testing.
    This leads me to believe that I am very close to consistant success with the coating.
    I know Joe reads this thread , So Joe I am proposing to drop my cook temp by 5 degrees.
    My Displace and thermo unit says 201-203 at the end of bake time. I think that I am just on the edge of excess time/temp of the flaking limit. Either through the design of the oven or my methology Id like to just ease back a fraction to try and avoid the flaking.

Trev I will be sending you samples, you will be able to see yourself my screw up on the first over cook. Should have them in a few days as I didn't send them via Star-track so you wont have to wait weeks.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Play with time rather than temp.
    The commercial casters actually bake for only 5 minutes at elevated temps and have no problems.

We are limited by the small ovens we are using. I see Heller have a 28 Litre oven now. They have dis-continued the 48 liter that I use.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Gateway, the Lyman 314299 works very well in my 300, so the 312299 should also work well. I have been shooting the Lee 200gr .309" bullet in my 1903a3 at around 1,200 to 1,400 fps and it is very accurate. I am going to load some of these in my 300 W to see what they will do.
    If I remember correctly, both molds have the gas check base. Or was it the 314299'had it and the 312299 didn't.... Guess I will have to look that one up! Either way, he doesn't want the gas check because of the silencer. I'll cast the man anything he wants. I'm just out the lead and time, but if he gets it right, I'll buy molds for the magma and cast away for the 300 shooters.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Play with time rather than temp.
    The commercial casters actually bake for only 5 minutes at elevated temps and have no problems.

We are limited by the small ovens we are using. I see Heller have a 28 Litre oven now. They have dis-continued the 48 liter that I use.
    1)I did 50 today @ 4 degrees cooler, and 9.5 mins. I even re-tried the violetx2, it still came out almost black but W&S test went fine. They even sized well from 359 to 358 with very little problem.
    But yes I need to piss about a bit to get the optimum for my setup.

2) I posted 35,000 boolits to you today, please load and test each one, and then recover the lead and return. Just joking, was only 500. notes in each baggie will explain more on each.
    Also just for ghits & siggles I included a small bag with each of the 4 styles I cast. 3 are from the MiHec mold before I removed the lube ridge.

Boolit Master
    you will be schit out of luck on the lead recovery.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

What! I thought you was such an awesome shooter they all land in the same place and you just scoop the pile back up!!.

Boolit Grand Master

Gateway, hope to work on the 300 mold today if my eyes will quit watering long enough to do it. My left eye does not blink on its own now and if I forget to close it once in a while both start watering. Doc said this should go away with time after the surgery I had Thursday. I'm ready for it. LOL.
    And both of the Lyman boolits are gas checked. I found even the Lee 230gr shoots better with a gc on it.

Boolit Master

Donnie returned my email, I'll have to call him about ordering coating components.

I just located a Breville BOV800XL convection toaster oven (the SMART OVEN) $250.

Bed Bath and Beyond

I have a Respirator, Chemical Gloves, Screening type material for pans, Coke Bottle for mixing,

Oven Thermometers, standard oven and Digital Probe, along with the ovens thermometer.

Need to get casting for more BOOLITS to experiment and process later.

Thinking of ordering 1/2 kits form Donnie in GREEN AND GOLD for a start to the learning curve.

I mostly shoot INDOOR PISTOL, light to middle loads, 38 Special, 9MM, 45ACP, and sometimes 40S&W.

Suggestions anyone?????

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC the gold coating is certified for indoor shooting in Aus. Don't recall if any of the others are.

Boolit Master

Just talked with Donnie at Bayou Bullets, my order will be on the way tomorrow.

Need to go pick up the BREVILLE "SMART" CONVECTION OVEN now (BOV800XL).

Boolit Master
    Moonman. Follow my instructions on page 19 of this thread and you will be good to go.

leaving the freshly coated bullets to dry is most important. Don't be in a hurry. 10 minutes then warm with a hair dryer or leave for 1/2 hour (you can leave for a week if you want to).
    Always smash test and wipe test after each coat baking has cooled. remember to use small amounts. if it looks like there is not enough coating on your shaken bullets, then it is perfect. thin is better than thick.

My experience with 40S&W is that the lee Carbide FC die ruins bullet size and caused severe leading in my Glock 35. I now use a Dillon crimp die and my 40 loads are fine.

Grem.. E.S.A.D.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Trevor,

I just got home from picking up the Breville Convection Oven.

One thing about RETIREMENT, going slower fits my lifestyle,

after decades of dealing WITH CORPORATE EDICTS and that HUSSLE-BUSSLE world.

Folks/Blokes, and Sheila's too, need to STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES once in awhile.

This thread is bountiful with information IF ONE PAYS ATTENTION.

Grateful for your input Sir.

Boolit Master
    No worries, Mate.
    Glad to help.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Red/Copper in 454 Casull ... I have a 375 grain HP mold for bullets for my 45-70's. It casts at .460. I was sizing some up that I had coated 3 times with the red/copper and I got one of them brain farts. My brother has a 454 Casull and if I could size them down to .451 maybe I could get him to try them in his hand cannon. So ,,, after 2 coats I sized to .457 then gave them another coat and baked. While the bullets were still warm I applied some swageing lube and let it melt onto the bullets. I was then able to very easily push them through a .451 die. Got them mailed to my brother and he couldn't wait to try them. Included is a picture he sent me of his 10 shot groups at 35 yards. He reports not a speck of leading in the barrel or the barrel ports. He is going to try loading more at a higher velocity and will let me know how they perform. This bullet also shoots very well in my 45-70's when sized
    .459 with no leading.

Banned

trevor, though you were suppose to be workin on christmas lights. I bought a 1050 and a rcbs pro melt. yep!
    Did i show u this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SJ9meSDiio

Mikesreloadingbench.com

DANG NIGHTHUNTER!

Boolit Master
    Yeah. I think I have gotten out of doing the lights. Woohoo.....

Too busy casting and coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I spent this afternoon, messing with the oven.
    One of my pet hates is that when removing or entering trays in the oven, the temp take a fairly big dip. Then recovers over 1-2 mins.
    The actual dip is not avoidable, but I felt the recovery time could be shortened.

Most ovens we are all using has more open space than we actually use for a tray of boolits. So what I trialed today was placing a series of thick clay pavers/bricks slightly spaced across the bottom of the oven and a row one the top shelf each side of the fan outlet.
    These act as heat soaks, it takes slightly longer to get the oven to target temperature, but once at temp, opening the door to load a tray in and closing the door again, I have found the temperature rapidly climbs back to datum point as the heat soak blocks reheat the new air back to temp.

Also cold lead going into the oven is syphoning off available heat. Instead of asking the element to do all the work, the oven theoretically now has a amount of "stored temp" to help bring the lead up to temp faster.

Copper blocks would work just as well, but I dont have any laying around, I do know how hot these paving bricks get in the sun, and how long they hold heat for.. I shall report back tommorow on how this idea works out.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK Joe called in and said G'day yesterday. I gave him your abortions of bullets, Grem. So he can see what you have done.
    Joe has been on holidays. Drinking bourbon and perving on bikini babes on the Gold Coast.
    He is now refreshed and ready to mix a heap of coatings.
    The HI-TEK "Drycoat" (aka EZECOTE) experimental coatings are working great. I have tried the DDR and Gold with excellent results. Going to load and fire them this Sunday. There are 4 more Drycoat samples to mix and test, so they are getting done this week.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I have tried diff temps with poor results so going back to the 200c temp and now trying various bake times, if I cant get this fixed in the next week, I will try powder coating.
    Those bullets I sent you are done following the instructions exactly, and I mean exactly to the letter, so something in my process is wrong.
    I have no doubt at all this coating works, I just need to get it to work for me.

Last week my barrel looked like I had been using it to stir the flux into the pot after 12 rounds shot through it.
    In the mean time I found the guy who loaded for me used ADI 50 powder which is not listed for pistol. I don't know if incorrect powder will cause leading, I gave him some cash and told him to buy ADI 70 which is mentioned in the reloading manuals for pistol.
    Did I mention waiting for the licence to buy my own powder and primers sux's??
    Also I remelted EVERY single proj. I had cast and once again poured all the mixed coating away.
    Back to a fresh mix, in a fresh bottle with fresh everything and a retry at getting this to work.

If nothing else I am not ready (quite) to give up on this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I have tried diff temps with poor results so going back to the 200c temp and now trying various bake times, if I cant get this fixed in the next week, I will try powder coating.
    Those bullets I sent you are done following the instructions exactly, and I mean exactly to the letter, so something in my process is wrong.
    I have no doubt at all this coating works, I just need to get it to work for me.

Last week my barrel looked like I had been using it to stir the flux into the pot after 12 rounds shot through it.
    In the mean time I found the guy who loaded for me used ADI 50 powder which is not listed for pistol. I don't know if incorrect powder will cause leading, I gave him some cash and told him to buy ADI 70 which is mentioned in the reloading manuals for pistol.
    Did I mention waiting for the licence to buy my own powder and primers sux's??
    Also I remelted EVERY single proj. I had cast and once again poured all the mixed coating away.
    Back to a fresh mix, in a fresh bottle with fresh everything and a retry at getting this to work.

If nothing else I am not ready (quite) to give up on this.
    Do not give up! It took me since Feb. to get ALL my loads running it. I have now shot 40, 45, and nine in too many different guns to count It took me a heck of alot more than that when i first started casting to get em all right. I am now loading commercially with it and will never look back. Consistent measurements of product and CONSISTENT heat are critical. I pm'd 45 nut about being a vendor sponsor. haven't heard back........Maybe soon. This sight gave me the information and courage to start a business I have wanted for 15 years. I am in full production selling loaded rounds now with this incredible coating. Thanks Joe, Thanks Donnie!
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Page 87 of 742 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187587 ... LastLast