RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationStainLess Steel Media
Graf & SonsTitan ReloadingBallisti-Cast
Page 84 of 199 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 3975

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    Joe ya beat me to it!
    Sorry, next time I will wait a while lol.

Is your website up and running since your suppliers server has been hit?
    I would really like to see what you have,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Sorry, next time I will wait a while lol.

Is your website up and running since your suppliers server has been hit?
    I would really like to see what you have,
    You haven't got time to surf around the net. get up to your shed and keep mixing coatings. Take your love potion with you.

I'm going to coat a few 100 with the blue/green superhard resin 2. size after the first coat and then apply a second coat to see how they shoot. I find 1 coating then sizing then 2nd coating works great on flat base bullets that may have a but of over-cast on the base.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Hi-Tek, I have given up on trying to clean the boolits of the wax lube then coating. I only have 2,000 or 3,000 left anyway so not a big deal to just remelt of shoot them as is.
    The best sucess I had was when I used Purple Power soap as a final cleaner of the boolits. This is a very strong alkyl soap.
    Is any of the Super Hard resin headed to the sates soon? I would like to try this in the rifles to see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Hi-Tek, I have given up on trying to clean the boolits of the wax lube then coating. I only have 2,000 or 3,000 left anyway so not a big deal to just remelt of shoot them as is.
    The best sucess I had was when I used Purple Power soap as a final cleaner of the boolits. This is a very strong alkyl soap.
    Is any of the Super Hard resin headed to the sates soon? I would like to try this in the rifles to see how it works.
    Leadman,
    Please do not use any strong Alkali type cleaners with Lead or alloys.
    It can react with Lead and alloys to start dissolve Lead into the Alkali, which is very unhealthy especially if you get it on your skin.

With super hard resins, we were testing coatings on 92:6:2 alloys.
    We have sort of measured hardness of baked coatings against standard coatings. It was determined, and appeared, that the new trial resins were about 20% harder, as hardness tester had less penetration into alloy that was coated with the new test resins.
    Smash test and solvent tests seem OK. I am awaiting test results with various guns, and am hoping to get results blogged.
    It is hoped, that the additional hardness may help, with using with Cast alloys for some Rifle ammo.
    Plans are under way to send some to the US, but even if we send today, it will take weeks by sea to get there.
    It is a shame, that Rifle use here is not as prolific as in the US, as it would be much easier to get local tests done first, and then report results.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK. I have a great Idea.
    You buy me an Omark M44 308 target rifle ( a few available on www.usedguns.com.au) A Leupold 33x scope and rings and a 30 calibre mold and I'll do some rifle coating testing for ya....
    Last edited by Ausglock; 10-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    HI-TEK. I have a great Idea.
    You buy me an Omark M44 308 target rifle ( a few available on www.usedguns.com.au) A Leopold 33x scope and rings and a 30 calibre mold and I'll do some rifle coating testing for ya....
    Great Idea.
    Where do I get a licence to buy such stuff???

Then, I would have every anti gun lobbyist on my case, and pester me no end, and I would have to spend more of my time in explaining why I want such a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Great Idea.
    Where do I get a licence to buy such stuff???

Then, I would have every anti gun lobbyist on my case, and pester me no end, and I would have to spend more of my time in explaining why I want such a gun.
    Did someone say Hi-Tek is buying guns for us to test his rifle coating? Where do I submit my request? Lol
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    send email to BourbonJoe@Imshitfacedallthetime.com.au
    Attach a photo of a bottle of bourbon and the gun you want.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Guys update on the oven situation. Buy a Breville. What a difference. You will only cry once. It has 5 elements and smart heating technolgy. It applies heat where it needs it at the level it needs it. I am getting consistent results with less than a 5 degree temp swing more like 3 through the entire cycle. The elements work like dimmers instead of just on or off. It handles a bigger load than my others too and will still maintain temp. My coating comes out more even, more shiny and the color is repeatable. This is repeatable every time unlike the cheaper ovens I was using. I will retrofit those with a PID at a later date. I am very close to having a 40 worked out that leads worse than anything I have ever owned. It takes a bit more coating in this particular gun but is showing signs of promise. 50-75 rounds and very light streaking yesterday but I have to keep in mind the alloy hadn't fully hardened. Yesterday it was a little over a 12. This am it was 16. If it won't lead in this gun it won't lead in any I bet. I am finding the poly barrels are actually easier on the coating than traditional. Moved to 5-1-7 too. Looks better on the bollits with a hard shoulder like swc and tc.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    I'm going to coat a few 100 with the blue/green superhard resin 2. size after the first coat and then apply a second coat to see how they shoot. I find 1 coating then sizing then 2nd coating works great on flat base bullets that may have a but of over-cast on the base.
    Exactly the reason I do it that way aswell Trev..

Havent cast/coated or done anything with my stuff , because I am still sitting on a porch of a beach house up past Hervey Bay.
    Will be back home in time to do the Saturday shoot this weekend and get back into casting/coating.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    What model number is the breville? Do you gave a link for it?
    Grem. You have no time for holidays.....get casting/coating!!!
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    BOV800XL. here is the link. http://www.brevilleusa.com/the-smart-oven-r.html. got mine from Bed Bath and Beyond. Pricey but I love it so far. The elements do exactly as advertised. They sometimes even pulse to maintain temperature. When preheated, it takes about 6 minutes to get five pounds of alloy to 384f. Same thing with 2.5lbs. Will do a trial run shortly and see if 7.5 and 10 will do the same.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Check out these beauties!!! Notice what's missing? Will coat with red copper and shoot this weekend; then post the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-29 18.09.39.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	85801

Boolit Master
    VERY NICE Dystaxia! What grain? I am assuming 9mm?

Boolit Master
    Nice. What bullet is it and who makes it?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Nope, it's a 45 ACP.

230 Grain.

Nice. What bullet is it and who makes it?
    Accurate Molds: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230Z-D.png

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    They do make one for the 9mm:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=35-135Z-D.png

Boolit Master
    Uuuuuggghhh. maybe next month. I love Tom's molds. Got a few and they are fantastic!

Boolit Bub
    A quick follow up: Several weeks ago I tried the Hi-Tek coating and ran into some problems with it flaking off. Hi-Tek thought it might have been because I used bullets that had been pre-sized, which he thought would prevent the coating from adhering to the surface.

Finally got some some unsized/unlubed 9mm 125g bullets to try again. Followed pretty much the same procedure as previously (5-1-7 ratio, about 390-400 degrees F for about 10 minutes, etc). See below result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0207.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	85820

After 2 coats, I sized them to .356". I loaded up a batch, along with a test load using Hi-Tek coated bullets that are now being offered by SNS Casting, and had a chance to test them out over the weekend. The result......success! Worked just as well as the SNS coated bullets and no leading with either. Now, I'm happy

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help!