RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 82 of 742 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192132182582 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waltham41 View Post
    Not sure if this has been covered, I have a Italian Zouave .58 caliber musket and plan to shoot minnie balls out of it... will the coating work on a minnie ball? It has to expand to seal the bore on its way out
    It might work, for a few shots. A rifled musket like that needs a soft lube to keep the powder fouling soft. BP fouling will build up and dry into a hard fouling that makes seating the mini hard and it also can be hard on accuracy. Beeswax and crisco always worked well for me in those guns. It is messy as all get out but it sure shot well.

Save the coating stuff for smokeless powder, you will be much happier that way.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    How do they look after sizing.
    Can you please post picture of sized projectiles.
    Thanks much
    HI-TEK, the picture from above (number 7 of 8, red background) are after they were sized, if you need another picture, let me know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dystaxia View Post
    HI-TEK, the picture from above (number 7 of 8, red background) are after they were sized, if you need another picture, let me know.

Thanks much.
    Just wanted to be sure, as the ones you produced look great.
    It is hoped that they will also work well when you shoot them.
    Sizing seemed to not have any effect on coating or alloy but improve shine and overall finish.
    Well done.
    Looking forward to your report after shooting them.

Got the H-T process down pretty good now. Shot ~50 of my 9mm XDs 3" @ 7 yrds. Then did 20 or so do verify accuracy was still good. Upper right 2 are from a different spot. Actually used my bad eye for this, usually have to cross over.
    Attachment 85966
    Yup, no leading. For a sub compact, this one is a hoot to shoot. validated the load, now to load 500 for the daughter & SIL.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    I need a little help with my process. I am using the Red Copper. I am doing 3 light coats and the coating passes the hammer test after each coating and baking cycle. Now fast forward 1 week post coating and the coating flakes off with the hammer smash test. My temps in my oven are holding pretty consistent around 390 with 2 thermometers in the oven with the bullets. I do 1-5-10 mixture

Boolit Master
    As long as it doesn't pass 400 I haven't seen it get flaky. Mine actually seem better with age. 10 is a little thin for me. 6 or 7 with anything with a shoulder. 5 on everything else. JMHO
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    I need a little help with my process. I am using the Red Copper. I am doing 3 light coats and the coating passes the hammer test after each coating and baking cycle. Now fast forward 1 week post coating and the coating flakes off with the hammer smash test. My temps in my oven are holding pretty consistent around 390 with 2 thermometers in the oven with the bullets. I do 1-5-10 mixture
    You are local to Donnie. So I'd suggest taking some in and showing him.
    What catalyst are you using?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    I am using the original catalyst.

I forgot to put that my cook times are 8-9 minutes using the timer on my Ipad

Boolit Grand Master

Reduce the acetone and you should be ok. Are you boolits turning dark brown? If so the temp might be a little high. 375 degrees seems to work the best for me. Temperature control is very important as well as length of time.
    I have found that the oven thermometers don't respond fast enough to tell you when the temperature is going too high. I have one oven on a PID controller, one with the DVOM with thermocouple in the oven, and another digital oven I bought.
    Hopefully my PID parts will be here from China tomorrow so all my ovens will be PID controlled.
    Last edited by leadman; 11-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Hi Tek,
    No worries on getting lead posioning from the alkyl soap as I do not get it on my skin. I was an OSHA Certified Hazardous Waste Worker for several years and then held a safety position for a couple of more years. I get my blood lead level checked frequently just to be safe. But thanks for the concern.

If I wake up in the moring it is off to the range to test some more rifle boolits. Have some of the 120gr RN GC coated with Red Copper and loaded in the 30-06 to see what they will do.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    As others have suggested I wouldn't thin as much.
    1cat, 5 acetone, 6-7 redcopper.

Boolit Buddy
    Been away for a few days. Wife had a knee replacement but she is home now and all is well as can be.

Last weekend we had a Large USPSA match locally, with 275 shooters from across the country.
    Plain lead bullets were in the minority. Coated bullets came in a close second to jacketed bullets and I am proud to say that majority of the coated ones were from my shop.
    Hi-Tek bullet coating is the future of cast bullets....I mean boolits.

Boolit Grand Master
    Is a burning plastic type smell normal with these bullets when fired? Just wondering if that is normal or a sign I undercooked them.

They sure are clean to made and load. Gun stays much cleaner too.

Boolit Master
    I smell the same type of Bakelite or plastic sawing smell. I tried to cook a little longer but at times the smell is still there, a lot of other people have also mentioned the smell in their posts.

The bullets still work well if you do not try to go to high in velocity, the copper or gold color is what I use now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am using red copper in 9mm and 45 ACP. Neither gun gets hot rod loads, medium velocity level actually.

Boolit Mold
    Any chance this product can be shipped to Canada? I am an IPSC shooter and go through lots of projectiles. Would like to give this coating a try. I would appreciate any info on this guys, thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Is a burning plastic type smell normal with these bullets when fired? Just wondering if that is normal or a sign I undercooked them.

They sure are clean to made and load. Gun stays much cleaner too.

It is common for them to generate a little plastic type smell when fired. Powder selection can make a difference in smell too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by plinker View Post
    Any chance this product can be shipped to Canada? I am an IPSC shooter and go through lots of projectiles. Would like to give this coating a try. I would appreciate any info on this guys, thanks.
    Not sure if it can be or not, but if it did it would have to go via land route to make it feasible. I will check into it and see what i can find out for you.
    Being a flammable liquid it cannot go by air.

Well, got a chance to test them out today, and the results are very good.

4 inch targets at 5 yards, 1st group of 5 bullets:
    2 in the bull's eye!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-01 16.53.50.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	86112

2nd group of 5:
    2 more in the bull's eye!

Name:	2013-11-01 16.54.02.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	86113

3rd group of 5:
    3 in the bull's eye!

Name:	2013-11-01 16.54.16.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	86114

Last group of 5:
    4 in the bull's eye!!!

Name:	2013-11-01 16.54.29.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	86115

ZERO leading and a breeze to cleanup.

Specs:

5.4 grains of Accurate #2 Powder
    CCI #500 Small Pistol Primers
    230 grain 45-230Z (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230Z-D.png)
    BNH of 20 using a Cabine Tree Tester (WW lead with Lino and Tin added - roughly the same as 92-6-2 makeup)
    1.235 COAL
    3x coat of "Red Copper" with a 5-1-10 ratio. 11ml of "mix" per 250 boolits per coat.
    Sized using a .452 sizer

And, just to really blow the topic up some, it's been discussed earlier that it's not a good idea to size BEFORE coating, well, guess what, I do, and I think my results speak loudly that you can. In fact, I size BEFORE I coat and then AFTER the last coat, I size them again. Seems to give me a very even consistent coating without losing any coating after the final sizing.

Really happy guys, I've been working on this for the last four months (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...12#post2360112) and was about to give up!!! I also believe that the "Tumble Lube" design molds are **** with Hi-Tek. Wasted two months of my life on those and as soon as I ditched them for the "Traditional Lube Groove" design all my leading problems went away. This new 45 mold from Tom at Accurate Molds without the grooves was more for a particular weapon that didn't like the COAL so short, it added about 0.045 to the COAL, fixing some of the feed problems I was having.

HI-TEK, Ausglock, gunoil and any others I may have used ideas from and not mentioned, THANKS! I really do dig this product!

Boolit Master
    I have never had the burning plastic smell from either mine or commercial coated bullets.
    Dystaxia. I have been in contact with Tom about getting a .356 168gr RN Bevel base made in the same configuration as the 35-135Z. The IPSC shooter here in OZ use these weights to load their 357Sig 2011 guns for Std Div major power factor.
    Might invest in the 45-230Z as well.

Plinker.... HI-TEK might have some good news for you in the not too distant future. A dry coating that does not require dangerous goods transport and can be air freighted. I have been trialing it with great results. HI-TEK is sending more dry-coat to test. So far, the Glitter Bronze and the Metallic Rose work fine on 40,44 and 45.

Swamprat.... Boolits are the silver greasy things. We are producing Bullets, coated with Bourbon Joe's secret herbs & spices..
    Last edited by Ausglock; 11-02-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 82 of 742 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192132182582 ... LastLast