MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 8 of 742 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SpotHound View Post
    Trev

I got my catalyst last month, I wonder if its extreme enough?

Whats you current preferred ratio at the mo?

S
    Spotto.
    With normal Catalyst, I am running 5,1,7 for Red/copper.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Is there a website to learn more about the product? I'm also interested in where to purchase the product.
    Points I am still wondering about.
    Color Is it just an esoteric thing? Is there an actual difference in protection to the bullet from one color to another?
    Affect to the bullet Like others. If the product does all that "normal" lube does to protect HV rifle bullets. I will make the switch.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    I too am highly considering trying this. I'm tired of jacking around with goops and waxes. Anyone tried the gold yet? Pics?
    I think that gold might look nice.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Banned

Its best to read most all the post! Cant think of to much that has not been answered with pics and vids.

I want some blue joe. I like red copper.

bayoubullets.net

You can call donnie and buy 1/2 liter, 36$+fedex. Or get full liter/2 colors.

Boolit Master
    BBQJOE

I purchased the gold from Donnie and have coated several thousand 95 grain 9 mm bullets for the 380 auto.

I have a Cast Master Machine and can make a lot of cast bullets in a few hours.

I did not take any pictures. I will the next time I coat with the Gold coating.

The coating goes on easy if you follow the instructions.

My oven is a GE Convection counter top oven I got at Target.

I have been powder coating bullets for a while and decided to try the HI-Tech Coating from Bayou Bullets.

It only took two coats to cover the small 380 bullets very well.

Use a very thin coating , it is easy to put on too thick a coating. A little of the coating will coat a lot of bullets while tumbling in a plastic small bucket.

Give it a try, you will like the results.

Boolit Master
    I found there websit. But no information on color and its affect, or how well it protects at higher velosity levels.

Banned

kb berg Call donnie as said before. Great guy!

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted you all to know that you are a bad influence! I just got off the phone with Mr. Donnie and my 2 liters should be here by the end of the week. He said that he should have more extreme catalyst in the fall. I'd write more but I have to get casting!

Banned

Dang, dryball,, u bought 2 liters? Great. I started with 1/2 liter, course you got more money than i do, i bet you have espn too. I love the purple roos and pink wambats running round the shop.

Boolit Buddy
    ha ha Gunoil. Yeah, I can't stand prosperity but even worse, I hate to run out of a good thing! I have a few friends that would benefit from this so I'll be giving some of it away.
    Domari Nolo

Love Life
    If I sent somebody some rifle bullets cast from straight linotype would you coat them for me? I want to run them in my Remington 700 in 8X57 and see how the coating works at higher speeds.

I will size them to .325 and gas check them prior to sending them out to you.

PM me if interested.

Banned

love life. send me some but not till you ask if they should be sized after i coat them. After coat you can size and punch on the gas check at same time. Maybe hitek or ausglock ir somebody will talk.

I sorry, u have ask this before and i dont mind, but i load pistol only.

Boolit Grand Master

Love Life, I can coat them with the Red Copper. It is best to put the gas checks on before coating especially if they are tight to begin with.
    There is no way I could seat the gas checks on the boolits I have been working with after coating. All I ask is you pay for return shipping, $5.15 USPS Priority Flat Rate.
    I am up to 2,550 fps in my 30-06 with a 180gr boolit. No leading but the accuracy is not good enough for me yet. I have some more linotype boolits age hardening myself to continue testing. I am also going to test the Lyman 44gr RN GC 22 cal boolit.
    PM me for my address if you want me to coat your boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
    So I have to get another new die huh? I use the Lee FCD for the bulgebuster kit too. Even a light crimp is detrimental to the coated bullets? How is a taper better?
    It is not the crimp that was causing the problem. It was the carbide ring sizing the complete loaded round that caused the problem. With coated bullets you can run no crimp to a full heavy crimp with no issues.My 357Sig rounds use a heavy crimp to prevent bullet setback.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post
    I too am highly considering trying this. I'm tired of jacking around with goops and waxes. Anyone tried the gold yet? Pics?
    I think that gold might look nice.
    G'day Joe.
    The gold looks great. It is the main colour used by the commercial bullet makers here in OZ.
    The blue/green give a really nice Emerald green bullet....Zombie Slayers.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi SpotHound,
    If you purchased the coatings from Donnie, the catalyst that would have been supplied by Donnie would be the standard catalyst.
    Donnie has also limited stocks of the Extreme catalyst and is much more expensive than Extreme catalyst.
    Donnie does not have the 2-Extreme catalyst as yet, and some may be shipped with current shipment order he has in place, and quantity is undetermined until testing is done here first..
    We are waiting for testing being done locally, to gauge performance benefits.
    It is possible, that Ausglock may post some results before any one else as he is testing Standard catalyst, Extreme catalyst and 2-Extreme catalysts in three separate batches in the same coating.
    I am also waiting for any updates
    HI-TEK
    Wrong country Bro. Will send ya an email.

Banned

Iam not excited about stage 2 cat..,, this stage one is great. I might order some next time. No big deal.

What is NSW North Coast? ausglock Is that the 9:00 position or what.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-08-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Ausglock, could you compare the amount of smoke produced between the different catalyst? I am curious. Thank you in advance.

I size after coating. Puts a nice shine on the bullet.

These run fine in Glocks, the only issues I have heard of I believe the person was sizing his bullets down when loading, because when we shot some of the bullets he sent back (Donnie and I) they shot just fine in every gun we could find with a polygonal barrel.

I have tried .223, no leading issues, but I couldn't get good accuracy out of them. .223 bullets are cheap for me since I buy OEM bullets and I am working to get a FMJ and FMJBT contracted out to sell under my brand, but I would produce them if I could get a design that worked with the coating without a gas check. We don't need lube grooves, so a traditionally shaped .223 bullet with a soft point style tip should work, I just don't know who makes a mold like that and have been too busy with pistol bullets to get something made up. It would need to be a two cavity design that would work with a Magma or Ballisticast machine.

1 coat will actually work with starting loads, 2 coats is safe. I do 3 coats for commercially sold bullets because I don't know how hard someone is going to push these bullets, and the 3rd coat makes the bullets look better.

Banned

can i do 1 coat on the lite 380/9mm bullets for plinking? Ferrara

Page 8 of 742 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108508 ... LastLast