Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 77 of 742 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127177577 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 14834

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master
    I can do that.

I used 5-1-7.

Easy enough to make it a bit thinner and add another coat. They easily pass the hammer test. I sized a couple dozens and no peeling or flaking at all.

Boolit Master
    Good job.

Just make sure you shake the schit out of your mix immediately before coating the pills. The red/copper settles out pretty quick.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes it does. My bottles are easy to see thru and I am amazed at how fast it settles. I shake for a 20 count before each squirt.

It doesn't take much, does it? I started using a bit more as I went along. I figured that as long as it wasn't pooling in the bottom of the bucket it was OK.

Love Life
    How clean was it?

Boolit Grand Master
    So far, so good. The gun hasn't decided how clean yet. It will get back to you on that.

Boolit Buddy
    How much coating are you mixing at a time? How soon after mixing are you using the coating?

This is what mine look like after 2 coatings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	84672
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I mixed the coating within a few hours of using it. I shook it for 20 seconds or so immediately before applying to the bullets. I added a couple small bullets to the mix bottle to help with mixing.
    The bullets that look best are the ones I initially felt I had used too much on.

After the second cooking the majority look well coated and shoot able.

At this point it is a factor of learning what is enough and what is too much. I actually used too little on the first few I coated. I can see now that I was using too little and have a better handle on what I need to do.

I sized a few hundred to see how they shoot. The gun is the ultimate judge. I don't expect any issues.

Boolit Bub
    They look good, another coat will make the difference. As long as they smash and wipe test they will be fine. I found swc the hardest to get coating all over, but as long as the bearing surfaces are covered they will be fine. Will post some of mine when Joe sends me my reds

Boolit Master
    Gateway. What colours are they?
    Gold, red/copper and black??
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

That black is the same colour I have been getting with the purple (violetx2).
    I have tried Vx2, at 5-1-7,5-1-8 and tommorow will try at 5-1-10. just cant seem to get the sweet spot on that one.
    even tride a ultra ultra thin coating and it goes dark at 9min/201c. Not only is it going so dark I am clalling it black, its flakey when smashed.

May have to shelve that one for now, running out of time to experiment.

This is only my current experiance with Vx2, other may find it fine, but its elusive to me right now.

The 220l red is going great.
    Might add a bit of the Vx2 to a small batch of red, that may bend the result towards purple.

PS HiTek asked me what qty I am using, for all my trial runs I weigh out 1/2kg of raw boolits. That way I dont have to remelt a lot when I stuff up. The raw weighs in at 134.2gn each .
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 10-19-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Grem. Tomorrow I'll mix some violet r-2X and see if I can get it to go black. what catalyst you using?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Gateway. What colours are they?
    Gold, red/copper and black??
    Yes sir
    Gatewaybullets.com

I haven't done any yet, but am ready to start. For those of us doing for ourselves, does it matter what color they actually turn? As long as all the tests are positive and it doesn't lead the barrel. I know some of you guys are testing for Hi-Tek and some are commercial casters. But for us regular guys we shouldn't be worried about color should we?
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Love Life
    Btroj- I coat mine a bit thicker with my 2 coats, but it's only because I like them to look Purdy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Btroj- I coat mine a bit thicker with my 2 coats, but it's only because I like them to look Purdy.
    Ya gotta have em purdy to sell. If it looks like **** they won't buy it!

I use a 5-1-7 for the metallics and a 5-1-5/6 with the black. I mix the coating in 16oz batches for use the next day. I use 20-27 ml per 1500 or so. I bake at 400 for 10 minutes in a commercial convection oven (large pizza oven)
    Gatewaybullets.com

Banned

I might be getting good, first coat! GREEN MEANIEES
    Last edited by gunoil; 10-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good job, Gunslick.

35isit. when you are coating for your own use, yeah. The colour isn't an issue, so long as the bullets perform to your satisfaction. This is what Gemlin needs to be aware of.
    I have so many coloured coatings here that did not work in the colour dept. but work fine in the smash and wipe tests and shoot fine. they just look like schit.

If I was to be casting for my own use, I'd be using these coating for sure. If anyone wants them, come get them. Cause I'm going to be tipping them out as I am running out of storage room for all these coatings.

Trying to convince HI-TEK Joe to convert from a liquid concentrate to a dry concentrate that is easier to transport and store. also a simplified mixing procedure that is idiot proof. instead of a 3 part mix, you only have a pre-catalysed concentrate and just add acetone. Joe is ******** about cost of equipment, lack of time etc etc etc. But the bullet is everything and he is semi-retired, so he needs to put down the Jim Beam bottle, climb out of his lawn chair and get his act together.

Come on Joe...chop chop..

Today I'm firing the test rounds with the 3 experimental "superhard" resins. green, red/copper, Gold, FER, DDR, rose red, Red 1220/L No.1, Gold 1035 and Red/brown Metallic (I really like this one). 38 Super rounds in Kimber STII. 10 rounds for accuracy and 10 round over the chrono. Will see how the superhards go.

This will probably be the last lot of testing until the new year. Each christmas we cover the house in christmas lights. November is when I start unpacking, checking and installing them, So I am going to be a busy boy. I hate christmas lights, but the missus loves them. So to keep the peace, I do them under sufference. All the casting/coating gear will be packed away and the shed given a once over before the lights get unpacked.

Seeya.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Love Life
    Just do like the rednecks do and leave the Christmas lights up all year.

Banned

i love christmas, your a good man ausglock!

Rock n Roll batches!

Flew up to west Kentucky, really cold at nite in dang tent. Sold that tent when i got home.
    Last edited by gunoil; 10-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Grem. Tomorrow I'll mix some violet r-2X and see if I can get it to go black. what catalyst you using?
    Cat-2 Trev.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Page 77 of 742 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127177577 ... LastLast