Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post

I'm sure i'll hear that you never coat a sized projectile, well, i have, these bad boys now have 6 layers of hi-tek, they will now be indestructible!

Enjoy your christmas boys and girls, stay safe with family gatherings with the beer bug out there.
    If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't coat a raw bullet that has been sized first. I have done one coat, then sized, then done another coat, with much success.

Boolit Master
    I generally don't size before coating, but I have done the same, coat once then size, then more coats on stubborn over sized moulds.

Boolit Master
    Good numbers to know on the thickness of a coat of HiTek. I assume standard mix of 20 grams per 100 ml acetone, and the 5 ml coated about 2.5 kg? Sorry, I don't recall, is that a metallic you used?

Thanks, Tazza, and a merry Christmas to you. Don't get sunburned down there!

Merry Xmas and happy New Year to all!
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-23-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Good numbers to know on the thickness of a coat of HiTek. I assume standard mix of 20 grams per 100 ml acetone, and the 5 ml coated about 2.5 kg? Sorry, I don't recall, is that a metallic you used?

Kevin C
    I am wondering if any one knows thickness of Copper Jackets and Copper plating?
    Just curious...

Boolit Buddy
    The thickness of Copper Jackets can vary from .004 to .030 or even a little bit more in a few exceptions, depending on the caliber and the bullets construction.

Copper plating!?!? I have no earthly idea!

Boolit Master
    I know copper jackets vary a great deal and can't really be considered anything like Hi-Tek, and copper coated cast are about as useless as teets on a bull in my view. I will stick to Hi-Tek that works and leaves my barrels lead free. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post

It will be about 4.2 to 4.5 kg for 500.

It's indeed warm here, I'll try not to be cooked to a crisp

Boolit Master
    Joe..
    Remember I gave you the measurements for copper plated thicknesses a few years ago.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Kevin C
    I am wondering if any one knows thickness of Copper Jackets and Copper plating?
    Just curious...
    The Corbin cups I have for 10mm are .014

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    It will be about 4.2 to 4.5 kg for 500
    You did say that in your first post. That's what I get for trying to speed read.

So, maybe a bit thicker on mine, using around 2.5 kg batches with a mix that delivers the equivalent of a ml per 500 grams of 20/100.

Boolit Master
    I think the repeatable thin coating is one reason for good accuracy with Hi Tek.

Boolit Master
    Interesting observation today.
    I was mixing a few jars of Kryptonite green for a large coating session today.
    I mixed 40gms to 200mls of Acetone.
    and 40gms to 200mls of MEK.

After coating with the acetone mix, the first bake bullets were light and bright.
    The first coat and bake with the MEK mix was noticabley darker.

Did the second coat/bake and the difference was still noticable under the LED lights in my shed.
    I took both trays of bullets out into the daylight and they looked exaclty the same.
    I wonder why they looked different under the LED lights???

Happy New Year to all the casters out there.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Interesting observation today.
    I was mixing a few jars of Kryptonite green for a large coating session today.
    I mixed 40gms to 200mls of Acetone.
    and 40gms to 200mls of MEK.

After coating with the acetone mix, the first bake bullets were light and bright.
    The first coat and bake with the MEK mix was noticeably darker.

Did the second coat/bake and the difference was still noticeable under the LED lights in my shed.
    I took both trays of bullets out into the daylight and they looked exactly the same.
    I wonder why they looked different under the LED lights???

Happy New Year to all the casters out there.

I think you have been sniffing too much solvent.
    How can colors change with changing light sources?

I suspect that MEK has divided particles much more evenly and despite that the natural colour should have remained the same. The LED's may show up particles size differences more, giving a different apparent colour.

Boolit Master

I suspect that MEK has divided particles much more evenly and despite that the natural colour should have remained the same. The LED's may show up particles size differences more, giving a different apparent colour.
    I second the sniffing too much solvent

I have been doing a lot of casting (a lot for me at least 60 odd thousand) the last week too, more time than i'd like sniffing acetone fumes. Glad it's not MEK, that stuff is nasty, i wonder if it indeed did suspnd the pigment differently or if it just made the polymer part slightly different that shows up under different LED lights

Boolit Master

God to see your getting your own back on Ausglock Joe, It beats piddling against the wind. Happy Ne Year to all. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Never took physics???

Since color is based on the light that's reflected from the item different light sources can affect color by not having certain wavelengths in the source.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I like this australian wine,especially with a roast beef dark rye bread sandwich... but who is this man?

u

Boolit Master
    19 crimes is actually the 19 crimes that would get a convict transported to the penal colony of Australia back in the 19th century.
    England used Australia asa dumping ground for convicted felons.
    the 19 crimes could be as little as stealing a slice of bread to as much as murder.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    My ex wife was doing a family tree and found her relatives were sent To Australia for stealing a loaf of bread and a watch, I told her it did not surprise me as I had met her family, she did not take that as a joke and suggested I should check my family background. Imagine her surprise when we found my relative was the prison guard on the very ship her relative was transported on. I can say I did get a few giggles in before the divorce. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    My ex wife was doing a family tree and found her relatives were sent To Australia for stealing a loaf of bread and a watch, I told her it did not surprise me as I had met her family, she did not take that as a joke and suggested I should check my family background. Imagine her surprise when we found my relative was the prison guard on the very ship her relative was transported on. I can say I did get a few giggles in before the divorce. Regards Stephen
    HEHE that is gold, people without a sense of humor are boring.