Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a little behind the curve on Hi Tek so this may have been discussed previously, can I mix the powders?
    If I mix the k15 with some of the bronze I have, would it be similar to the Texas Tea?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Where can I get these colors in the US?

hi-performancebulletcoatings.com only has a handful of colors, and only in the powders. I can find the liquid anywhere in the US, and the color selection is mostly small.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    You will find that the powdered Hitek replaced the Liquid Hitek.
    The powdered version is easier to mix and less messy to handle.
    It is also safe to mail as it is NOT a dangerous goods article.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    I'm a little behind the curve on Hi Tek so this may have been discussed previously, can I mix the powders?
    If I mix the k15 with some of the bronze I have, would it be similar to the Texas Tea?
    Mixing colours is not that straight forward.
    I have been mixing them for 7 years and the results vary....but they still work as intended.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Mixing colours is not that straight forward.
    I have been mixing them for 7 years and the results vary....but they still work as intended.
    I mix them as liquids,not powders. Fun, sometimes unpredictable results.

Here is 40% Tru Blue / 60% New TMG Gold. A hot 44 mag load from last winter hitting snow. Adhesion is not perfect, some scratches, but these shoot fine and do not lead more than a 22 LR.

This is my favorite green now.

Boolit Master
    K15 is very dark black, it works very well for me, very good choice. No matter how hard i tr, i can't over cook them and make them too dark

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    No matter how hard i tr, i can't over cook them and make them too dark
    The perfect colour! Ideal for the beginner.

Yall making me jealous I cant get these colors in the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Joe504 View Post
    Yall making me jealous I cant get these colors in the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    You should be able to get these below colors in the US, just contact Donnie at Hi-Performancebulletcoating LLC
    Black (standard Old Black) Black K-15, Texas Tea, (Black with Golden Metallic), Gunmetal, (very dark Green Grey), Bonze 500, Bronze 502, Bronze 530, Red Copper, Blush Red Copper, Red 254, Red 122, Kryptonite Green, Zombie Green, Dark Green metallic, TruBlue, Black Cherry, Old Gold, Gold 1035, Aztec Gold, Desert Sand (Tan Yellow), Candy Apple, (Red with Gold Glitter), Burnt Orange,
    The old gold is probably my favorite, it has a rich metallic gold appearance.

Boolit Master
    Joe, I don't know why it is but the best groups I have ever fired were with the old Gold Coating, I also enjoyed the look on faces when I was asked how I cast brass bullets, my answer, a bloody hot mould. I also love the Candy red it seems to be the smoothest and most shiny coating. Regards Stephen

Best groups I have fired are with a gold, too. The 1035 Gold in my .308. May have to try the Old Gold to see if I can tighten them up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	268877

Best at 100 yards four shots under 1/2" whith flyer making it a 1" group 1035 Gold.

Name:	Best Group as of 051515.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	268878

Usual groups with 1035 are around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 10-05-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Best groups I have fired are with a gold, too. The 1035 Gold in my .308. May have to try the Old Gold to see if I can tighten them up.

Name:	GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	268877

Best at 100 yards four shots under 1/2" whith flyer making it a 1" group 1035 Gold.

Name:	Best Group as of 051515.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	268878

Usual groups with 1035 are around 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards.
    That is a wonderful group and a shame about that flyer. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    This thread is starting to sound like “red cars are faster, just because.” Hopefully we can get some solid experiments, or Joe better start whipping up a whole lot of gold hi-tek..

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;5000730]Best groups I have fired are with a gold, too. The 1035 Gold in my .308. May have to try the Old Gold to see if I can tighten them up.

Avenger & RydForLyf
    It seems some folk must have already had used or tried the Old Gold in US as Donnie had ordered this product recently, and also some of the Gold1035.
    I can only think that results would have been OK for people that had used it..

Boolit Buddy
    We need data, groups with different colors. Which color shoots the best group? Shouldn’t make a difference, but some are saying the gold is magic.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    We need data, groups with different colors. Which color shoots the best group? Shouldn’t make a difference, but some are saying the gold is magic.
    Well,.... this sounds like a great project for you possibly. I have never seen any of the coatings being directly compared with a specific gun, to determine if any differences are noted at all. In theory, all should work equally, but due to many gun variations/configurations/bore type, rifling & loads, there is a great deal of variability. I can only envisage that several are tested in a gun, then, use different ammo in another gun with same coatings. Then, you may be able to say, that X worked with this gun, and Y worked with the other gun, or, found no differences between all coated casts.

Boolit Master
    This colour V colour is bullswaddle.
    Sizing, alloy BHN, shape, powder, primer, case, load density and headspace affect accuracy more than colour of the coating.

Cast, coat, load, shoot, enjoy, repeat
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the suggestion of a research project, but right now my plate is too full. The only conclusion I can provide is that in my testing, no Hi-Tek color can overcome improper sight alignment and a lack of trigger control. ��

Let me clarify something. The comment I made about tightening up groups with Old Gold was more tongue in cheek than it sounded. And I didn't mean to suggest that one color was more accurate than another. 1035 Gold was just the first color I tried and I stuck with it. I've used 1035 Black, as per label on powder, in the the 45-70 with a hollow based bullet and good accuracy. Groups with another bullet about the same weight in that gun also coated in 1035 Black were not as accurate. That batch of my coating, by the way, seems to leave a little color on the wipe test no matter how long or hot you bake it. But it is black bake it to your hearts delight you can't ruin the color.

So like Trevor said "Sizing, alloy BHN, shape, powder, primer, case, load density and headspace affect accuracy more than color of the coating." I would add the obvious consistency in all of the measurements and operations of loading. I have changed, slightly, some things like crimp or trim or modifications of the case and lost accuracy in loads in the same rifle. So consistency when you find that load in that rifle is also a factor. And would add to that the metallic coatings probably have some difference in the accuracy of a rifle load than the non-metallic coating due to the heat reflecting property. I'm not sure that would show up in a handgun load at normal distances.

And before someone ask, I don't have the time to run test either. I even have trouble coating. I've got one of my experiments, a bullet, for my .308 that has been sitting on my bench for months uncoated. Another 10 pounds of bullets also sitting there uncoated. Part of the problem is just not taking the time. It is a hobby for me after all. But we have had our share of things lately that just take time away from the hobbies.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    But we have had our share of things lately that just take time away from the hobbies.
    Aint that the truth! Buggering up an ankle puts a stop to virtually everything! No casting, coating, reloading, shooting, working in the shed, making things.....the list is long.

Boolit Master

Donnie's stock has been quite low since this Covid hit.

I'm sure he wants to get everything back in stock as much as any of us.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 689 of 742 FirstFirst ... 189589639679680681682683684685686687688689690691692693694695696697698699739 ... LastLast