RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    It's got to be a must for someone living in Finland. He does some other stuff too and the bond he gets is great. The guys that cast commercially way down south do it to increase their production and get a good bond. The deal is to find a temp that dries without trapping solvent under the coating. These other folks have figured out the temp, and folks have come up with different methods to get there. I tried the oven but it went a little too high, and my space heater died. I just so happened to have some flashing and sunshine so I figured why not. Another idea I've had is to use the fan exhaust from your A/C condensing unit when we get to that time of year. Maybe attic drying? There's all kinds of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    It's got to be a must for someone living in Finland. He does some other stuff too and the bond he gets is great. The guys that cast commercially way down south do it to increase their production and get a good bond. The deal is to find a temp that dries without trapping solvent under the coating. These other folks have figured out the temp, and folks have come up with different methods to get there. I tried the oven but it went a little too high, and my space heater died. I just so happened to have some flashing and sunshine so I figured why not. Another idea I've had is to use the fan exhaust from your A/C condensing unit when we get to that time of year. Maybe attic drying? There's all kinds of possibilities.

Just did my last coat different. After coating was applied I set under fan to dry. After 60 min I set them on the top of the convection oven which holds 100f for about 10 min. Then in the oven

Came out the best I’ve ever seen. I’m liking this candy red. I assume the candy has the flake in it. Gonna have to find another color with the flake

So happy right now

You two chaps appear to have this process well and truly sorted! Well done.

Boolit Master
    I have used different heat sources get my coated bullets up to 120 deg F or more for about 15 to 30 min, I never have a failure doing this.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    s.. Will set it all up and see how much pressure is required to push a projectile.. Automating it seems pretty straight forward... Will post a video once done...
    just got done motorizing a star sizer for a buddy machined a 1/2" drive cut on the
    end of the press crank arm adapter to use a torque wrench
    now he is using shake and bake PC so the pressure varies 9mm 124 gr 20-30 ft lbs
    Stars have very little mechanical advantage so this would be max torque hope this helps

mike
    Last edited by m37; 04-03-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: forgot stuff

Quote Originally Posted by m37 View Post
    just got done motorizing a star sizer for a buddy machined a 1/2" drive cut on the
    end of the press crank arm adapter to use a torque wrench
    now he is using shake and bake PC so the pressure varies 9mm 124 gr 20-30 ft lbs
    Stars have very little mechanical advantage so this would be max torque hope this helps

mike
    thanks.... I found a old industrial sewing machine im going to modify for a laugh

Boolit Master
    thanks.... I found a old industrial sewing machine im going to modify for a laugh
    Worth a try, did you have a suitable gear box for it too? I'm running around 60 RPM at full speed. For my setup, i think 60 RPM is about as fast as it can go to give the projectiles enough time to fall down into the sizing die and not get caught up between the die and the slider bar. With the setup of the APP, it may not be an issue and you could get a little more speed out of it, cause doesn't it use fingers and not a sliding bar?.

Boolit Bub
    dont know if you can find one where you are
    we put a adjustable overload clutch on ours dalton osdc or a rosdc
    the ones marked osd are for a sprocket chain drive only

Last edited by m37; 04-04-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Care to elaborate? I'm curious what you mean by modify.

After coating is done. Do you guys some type of lube to size?

Boolit Master
    I use the sizing spray from HiTek. It really reduces the effort of sizing down a couple thousandths (or maybe I'm just a wimp).

Boolit Master
    Yep. Hitek sizing lube... works wonders.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Yep. Hitek sizing lube... works wonders.
    Me three. Aqualube is so nice,easy and clean.

I’ve got some aqualube is there a time I should size after spraying? I tried it once but didn’t seem to slick.

Also, do you clean the bullets afterwards to get lube off? Again, didn’t seem too slick so not sure if it would affect performance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Care to elaborate? I'm curious what you mean by modify.
    Im going to automate the Lee APP press.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I’ve got some aqualube is there a time I should size after spraying? I tried it once but didn’t seem to slick.

Also, do you clean the bullets afterwards to get lube off? Again, didn’t seem too slick so not sure if it would affect performance at all.
    I mix the Aqualube with Metho (Denartured Alcohol) 10mls to the litre.
    It doesn't feel slippery, but it sure makes sizing easy...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I figured that much, but having several industrial sewing machines I'm naturally curious just what you have in mind. I'm having trouble picturing just how a sewing machine can be used to automate a press.

Boolit Master
    Take it apart for the high torque electric motor?

Well, the "old" clutch motors are big, very heavy and in my opinion not suited to anything except a sewing machine. If you're talking about modern servo motors you can buy them off ebay for around Au$100, but again I'm not sure if they're that practical for this usage. Which is why I'm curious.

Boolit Master
    After playing with the Lee APP, I feel the biggest headache will be the feeder. it has "issues" with feeding bullets or Cases. not 100% reliable.
    But... If it were to have a feeder bar similar to the Star bullet feeder, I think it would be a goer for sure.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 667 of 742 FirstFirst ... 167567617657658659660661662663664665666667668669670671672673674675676677717 ... LastLast