RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    My local big box store didn't have any MEK and it's one f the few solvents I didn't already have a jug of. Ethanol is cheap and so far I have found it to be a really good diluting agent for giving longer swirl times. Plus, the fumes aren't nearly as bad as pure acetone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhopson View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture but I finally got the Zombie Green to stay the right color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you find the problem to be too much heat or too long a cook time? My first batch of zombie green was more of a poop brown and I would like to get it right the second time.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    My local big box store didn't have any MEK and it's one f the few solvents I didn't already have a jug of. Ethanol is cheap and so far I have found it to be a really good diluting agent for giving longer swirl times. Plus, the fumes aren't nearly as bad as pure acetone.

Did you find the problem to be too much heat or too long a cook time? My first batch of zombie green was more of a poop brown and I would like to get it right the second time.
    A little of both, my old oven had some “hot spots” in it. I bought another oven that has dual convection fans and it has eliminated the hot spots. I pre dry my bullets for 15 minutes at 120 degrees and then move them to the cook oven. Where I start the timer at 4 minutes once the bullet temp reaches 180 Celsius. I use the ATM method to check temps

John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Tried a smaller container today. Worked like a charm.

Now to get some zombie green! Lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Daym, Got my Lee APP press from Titan... freight was more then the press, but had it in a week... Lee told me id be waiting till April/May... Now to Automate it... And make more carbide size dies....
    Mine arrived yesterday... The left out the bullet sizer kit....Not Happy Jan!!!!!
    Sizer dies are there but can't use them... Spewin.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Vendor Sponsor

Black cherry 9mm-147’s. I like this color.

John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Boolit Master
    Nice...........Lets see ya pick that pail up....lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I've been wondering what are people using for flux? Is there a potential problem with coating not bonding with certain fluxes?

Boolit Master
    I have not heard of any problems with any flux, I have used about all and found no problems. If you get any oil or wax on cast the coating will not bond but all this is burned off during the fluxing. Regards Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Jhopson View Post
    Black cherry 9mm-147’s. I like this color.

Holy crap. And i thought i was trigger happy

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday... The left out the bullet sizer kit....Not Happy Jan!!!!!
    Sizer dies are there but can't use them... Spewin.....
    I will just make carbide sizers, so only needed one of theirs for dimensions. As for the press, pretty solid unit... But i will be machining up allot of those plastic parts from Aluminium... Will set it all up and see how much pressure is required to push a projectile.. Automating it seems pretty straight forward... Will post a video once done...
    Last edited by M.A.D; 04-02-2020 at 12:54 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Boolit Master
    MAD. I'm running a 1/8HP, 1440 rpm 1phase motor with a Motovario 20:1 gearbox. this connects to the Lee ram and easily pushes bullets through the Lee sizer dies. Interested in your carbide sizers.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    I've been wondering what are people using for flux? Is there a potential problem with coating not bonding with certain fluxes?
    Bees wax. about a thumbnail sized piece every 1/2 hr or so.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    I will just make carbide sizers, so only needed one of theirs for dimensions. As for the press, pretty solid unit... But i will be machining up allot of those plastic parts from Aluminium... Will set it all up and see how much pressure is required to push a projectile.. Automating it seems pretty straight forward... Will post a video once done...
    I'm running a 1440rpm 3 phase motor with a 28:1 ratio for my sizer, but it won't have the same linkage points that yours does. It pushes pretty much everything through unless they are a fair bit over size, then it makes angry noises at me.

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    Just don't get any flux/wax/oil whatever on the boolits after you've cast them.

Boolit Master
    My biggest problem has been getting that first coat to stick. During the summer I've left them in the shed to dry for 24hrs with temps around 92degF. Winter time has been no go until I saw The member from Finland warmed his bullets to 50degC before and after he coated. I also saw the crowd in Oz used a space heater to cure. I used my small space heater to cure and it died on me. I cast about 1500 135gr 9mm's and wanted to get them coated. I put them out in my mesh pans but the ambient temp is 64degF even in full sunshine. I had a roll of aluminum flashing so I rolled it out on the table top and set the baskets on top. I put my digital meat thermometer probe amongst the coated bullets and got a temp of 109degF. How's that for being environmentally responsible. I'm gonna grab some lunch and give them a bake this afternoon.

Good thinking. Put a piece of glass over the top and they should get even hotter?

Got my candy apple red today. With my new discovery using a smaller container to swirl in. I think my first coat looks about right. Yes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54D53323-12BE-4AF2-8878-A66EF51FF154.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	259559

Boolit Master
    After lunch the ambient temp was 66degF. Temp under the bullets was 122degF. That was 1.5 hours after I set them out in the sun. Set the PID on the convection oven for 385degF. With the Oster large convection oven loaded with 14 lbs of coated bullets I started the timer when the temp hit 370degF for 8 minutes cook time. Pulled them at the end of time and loaded the oven with the next batch. Coated the first batch and set out to dry on the flashing. Second batch finished and cooled to 95degF and coated them. Waited .5 hr and started cooking the second coat. The temp under the bullets had hit 109degF. Final outcome was the slickest hardest finish I've ever achieved. Sprayed lanolin/alcohol case lube on the bullets and sized in the Star while watching the news. I'm VERY happy with the way the coated bullets turned out.

Next time I'm gonna try 3 coats and a dressing mirror for a drying table. Now I got to load some and TEST, my favorite part. My last loaded batch kept 30 for 30 on a 4" target at 30 yards. Cleanup is a breeze using Hitek and N320.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Got my candy apple red today. With my new discovery using a smaller container to swirl in. I think my first coat looks about right. Yes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54D53323-12BE-4AF2-8878-A66EF51FF154.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	259559
    If they pass the 30 second acetone scrub test and the smash test then they'll look perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    After lunch the ambient temp was 66degF. Temp under the bullets was 122degF. That was 1.5 hours after I set them out in the sun. Set the PID on the convection oven for 385degF. With the Oster large convection oven loaded with 14 lbs of coated bullets I started the timer when the temp hit 370degF for 8 minutes cook time. Pulled them at the end of time and loaded the oven with the next batch. Coated the first batch and set out to dry on the flashing. Second batch finished and cooled to 95degF and coated them. Waited .5 hr and started cooking the second coat. The temp under the bullets had hit 109degF. Final outcome was the slickest hardest finish I've ever achieved. Sprayed lanolin/alcohol case lube on the bullets and sized in the Star while watching the news. I'm VERY happy with the way the coated bullets turned out.

Next time I'm gonna try 3 coats and a dressing mirror for a drying table. Now I got to load some and TEST, my favorite part. My last loaded batch kept 30 for 30 on a 4" target at 30 yards. Cleanup is a breeze using Hitek and N320.

So warming those babies up after coating might be a plus. Might have to look into this

Page 666 of 742 FirstFirst ... 166566616656657658659660661662663664665666667668669670671672673674675676716 ... LastLast