RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    MEK give a better coat than Acetone. the coating is smoother.
    3mls to 2Lb is about right. the first coat of K15 should be slightly "See through" before and after baking the first coat. the second coat of the same amount will give a smooth, shiny blacky black coating.
    Have you shot any??
    MEK allows for a longer swirl time. just remember to dump the swirled bullets while they are still wet. I have gone for a swirl time of 15 seconds lately, then dump.
    All my powders are mixed with acetone at the recommended proportion. What I’ve been doing recently is squirting in an extra couple of ml of ethanol for the first coat. It gives me a longer swirl time and it makes sure all the nooks and crannies get covered by the first coat. I hate it when there are bare spots in the lube grooves, especially for tumble lube bullets where they will likely contact the bore.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I’ve read someplace and have no clue where as my eyes are bleeding from all this reading is adding something else gives you a little more open time and the slippery needed to get into,those nooks etc. I find the shoulder on these tiny bullets don’t want to get coated without the MEK. Will have to try the methonal..not sure where to get it? I thought i read mineral spirits works with the acetone..can’t remember

Edit: I think it was denatured alcohol...aka. Ethanol. Lmao

I asked the secretary at my club about digging the berms, given the current conditions. SARPA have closed all ranges and said no-one is to enter for any reason - no shooting, maintenance, working bees, nothing! I'm a bit pissed off as I could dig the berms without causing any problems as the chances of anyone else being there is virtually nil, and I don't need to go into the clubrooms or anywhere else. No point in trying to reason with them 'cos I'm sure I'll lose.

Bugger, a waste of a great opportunity! Bloody Chinese!

Boolit Master
    Lablover, looks perfect.

Yep de-natured Alc. AKA Metho, AKA white spirit..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Lablover, looks perfect.

Yep de-natured Alc. AKA Metho, AKA white spirit..
    Ausglock
    White sprits is a Hydrocarbon solvent. It will not work.

Lablover,
    My suggestions for first coat, is to use a slightly more diluted Acetone coating mixture.
    If he is using 20g/100, try using 20g/120-130mls Acetone, and add a little extra of this more diluted mixture to the projectiles. The extra solvent should travel into and onto all areas.
    It just seems to be, that with smaller projectiles, you have a much higher surface area and that is why coating will not cover adequately. Using more of a more dilute mixture should fix these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Ausglock
    White sprits is a Hydrocarbon solvent. It will not work.
    You tell him Grandad!!! Hee hee Trev got told off...
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Well guess I shouldn’t of put them back in the casting pot! Oh well, they have been reborn into a new batch.

Thanks gents for the help. Look forward to trying the candy red when it arrives

The little black and decker convection fan went out...back to Walmart it goes. Looking at the oster now
    Last edited by lablover; 03-31-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    A note on the use of MEK. Here in the U.S. it's getting harder to find 100% pure MEK. A lot of the box stores are carrying a MEK substitute. In my limited experience with the substitute is that it does not work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings View Post
    A note on the use of MEK. Here in the U.S. it's getting harder to find 100% pure MEK. A lot of the box stores are carrying a MEK substitute. In my limited experience with the substitute is that it does not work well.

That’s the truth...that’s all I could find at first and tried it..did not dissolve the powder too well. Finally found some real mek and worked great! Might have to stock up. It for sure flows better over the bullets then acetone did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    You tell him Grandad!!! Hee hee Trev got told off...
    There is a line Brad Pitt gives in the movie "Fury"
    "I'll probably get chewed out....I been chewed out before"
    Same here...lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

There is a line Brad Pitt gives in the movie "Fury"
    "I'll probably get chewed out....I been chewed out before"
    Same here...lol
    I think you mean inglorious ********. Great line!

Boolit Master

Just a further suggestion,
    Fiberglass tank and pool makers use the MEK (and possibly Acetone) in 44 gallon drums.
    You may get some decanted into your container.
    Other places to get MEK is Fiberglass resin supply shops. The MEK is used for clean up when using the Fiberglass resins.
    Some large hardware stores also sell pure MEK, but they tend to be a little more expensive.
    Just make sure, that what you get is not a solvent blend containing MEK.
    It has to be pure industrial grade MEK.

I think I may have figured out why I’m not getting good coverage..correct me if my thinking is off.

I’m doing small batches of 1 lb and using a large 10 quart bucket to swirl them around in! When I tried a larger batch I get better coverage. A pound of tiny .32 bullets don’t take up much space. Maybe I should try a smaller container to swirl in?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I think I may have figured out why I’m not getting good coverage..correct me if my thinking is off.

I’m doing small batches of 1 lb and using a large 10 quart bucket to swirl them around in! When I tried a larger batch I get better coverage. A pound of tiny .32 bullets don’t take up much space. Maybe I should try a smaller container to swirl in?
    Great diagnosis.
    I think that you have found the cause. Using more, of a more diluted coating will work better, if you continue to use such large coating container with small batches, as liquid mixture will stay liquid longer and evaporate slower with the extra solvent used in the diluted brew...
    The larger surface area in your large coating container would take up coating on surfaces and use up coating, plus solvent would dry quickly.

Don't forget, any coating that remains on walls of coating container can be recycled, by simply using straight Acetone, and swirling fresh cast. Coating will re-dissolve off the walls and coat onto the cast.

As you said, using a much smaller container, adequate to coat the amount you want to do should do the trick.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I think you mean inglorious ********. Great line!
    Hmmmm... might have to watch both movies again to check...woohoo...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

You can blame a re emergence of old school cooks...

Daym, Got my Lee APP press from Titan... freight was more then the press, but had it in a week... Lee told me id be waiting till April/May... Now to Automate it... And make more carbide size dies....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Great diagnosis.
    I think that you have found the cause. Using more, of a more diluted coating will work better, if you continue to use such large coating container with small batches, as liquid mixture will stay liquid longer and evaporate slower with the extra solvent used in the diluted brew...
    The larger surface area in your large coating container would take up coating on surfaces and use up coating, plus solvent would dry quickly.

Don't forget, any coating that remains on walls of coating container can be recycled, by simply using straight Acetone, and swirling fresh cast. Coating will re-dissolve off the walls and coat onto the cast.

As you said, using a much smaller container, adequate to coat the amount you want to do should do the trick.
    Your quiet right Joe, I toss a couple batches from the bucket then use a pill lid full of acetone to swirl the 3rd batch which cleans up left over coating, works for me. If one does not clean up the excess regular like the cast get lumpy. Works for me. Regards Stephen

Vendor Sponsor

Hard to tell from the picture but I finally got the Zombie Green to stay the right color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John 15:13
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Wow, those look great! My candy apple red shows up today....can’t wait to try it

Page 665 of 742 FirstFirst ... 165565615655656657658659660661662663664665666667668669670671672673674675715 ... LastLast