Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

I keep my mixed Hi-Tek in the fridge. I've got stuff over a year old that still works just fine.
    NRA Benefactor.

I had some of the Gun Metal or it might have been the Black coating sitting out for about six months in a dish soap bottle. It was sealed pretty well but stored during one summer when temps were, at times, 80F in the basement. The acetone evaporated and it turned into a solid lump. Joe probably remembers this because I told him I was going to try and get it back into solution. I broke up the lump and put it in another bottle with some acetone. I didn't, but probably should have, grind it up. After a couple of months it was partially dissolved. After about six months it still was not completely dissolved so I threw it out.

That being said, I have used coating that was mixed six months before just to see if it was OK. It was darker but same performance after baking. No leading. If it will mix up when you shake it it can be used. And I have put months old mixed coating in with another color to use. I haven't looked lately but I had some of the yellow test batch which turns beige, mixed over a year ago, still able to be shaken and used. I'll probably throw it out along with some others that have been mixed for some time.

With as little as it cost to use Hi Tek there is really no reason to use a batch several months old. Just mix up another batch. Especially if you want the color the same. I usually don't coat more than 10 pounds of projectiles at a time sometimes only 5 pounds so I don't need large amounts mixed. Joe and Donnie have done all of us a favor by keeping the product very reasonably priced. Under $30 buys most of us more than we will use for a long time. They gotta be making their money off of volume and other products. We appreciate you guys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bronze 500 1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	258023 This is the Bronze 500 in an older mix. Probably 2 months old. Mix was a little thick so coating is not as smooth as new mix and the color is a little off. It's on range lead for plinking and didn't care much about how it looked. Shoots great.

Name:	Bronze 500 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	258024 A little closer and you can see what I mean. A little rough.

Slide;
    Is that long enough to keep us on the blog
    Last edited by Avenger442; 03-05-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not posted on this thread for a very long time. When Hi-Tek first came out, I saw little value in it. It offered no advantages as I lube and size in one operation on a Star. Made no sense to have two operations and reduce throughput.

What has impressed me is seeing Hi-Tek used by some of the CBA competitors and winning matches. PC has not, as far as I know, won a CBA match. So this stuff if "good".

I likely will never use it, but if I did not have a Star, it would be one of the better options. The Aussies were ahead of the curve on this.

If I have time this year, I am going to try BLL for unsized pistol bullets and will keep Hi-Tek as an option for sure. Would love not to size pistol bullets as I get older and more prone to pain/fatigue. I have 30k lubed bullets so in no hurry. Nice to have options though.
    Don Verna

Here ya go Slide, another post. I have some mixes that have been sitting around for a while so thought it would be a good idea to use them up. I have quite a lot of various calibre round balls for my muzzleloaders so I'll coat them, one coat only. Elsewhere in another post (in the PC (cough cough) section) someone mentioned coating them as a means to reduce possible lead contamination from handling them, seems like a good idea and a way to use up old coating as the finish is not critical on these balls.

And it's an excuse to do some more coating.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I have not posted on this thread for a very long time. When Hi-Tek first came out, I saw little value in it. It offered no advantages as I lube and size in one operation on a Star. Made no sense to have two operations and reduce throughput.

What has impressed me is seeing Hi-Tek used by some of the CBA competitors and winning matches. PC has not, as far as I know, won a CBA match. So this stuff if "good".

I likely will never use it, but if I did not have a Star, it would be one of the better options. The Aussies were ahead of the curve on this.

If I have time this year, I am going to try BLL for unsized pistol bullets and will keep Hi-Tek as an option for sure. Would love not to size pistol bullets as I get older and more prone to pain/fatigue. I have 30k lubed bullets so in no hurry. Nice to have options though.
    Do you run rifle bullets through your Star? If so, how fast can you push them with the lube before leading the barrel?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

If you do try Hi-Tek you will do as we all have done, sell the Star and join the fold. I have seen some very accurate loads with cast lubed bullets, but non have matched Hi-Tek for accuracy and velocity especially rifle loads, your experience may differ but I doubt it. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Slide I for one have been away checking a new deer property, a man has to have a use for all those cast we coat. The red deer rut is soon to start and I intend to fill my freezer. regards Stephen

Boolit Master

I use a Star to size my Hi-Tek boolits. It works like a champ.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    If you do try Hi-Tek you will do as we all have done, sell the Star and join the fold. I have seen some very accurate loads with cast lubed bullets, but non have matched Hi-Tek for accuracy and velocity especially rifle loads, your experience may differ but I doubt it. Regards Stephen
    Stephen,

I don't understand why you'd sell the Star. I've kept mine and now use it for a sizing only. With the Magma feeder, it's simple to blast through them, MUCH easier than sizing AND lubing. Now, it just takes a short stroke without having to pump the lube in.

What are you using to size now?

Boolit Master
    I use my Star for sizing my Hi-Tek coated bullets, I hope I never have to go back to obsolete wax type lubes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I use my Star for sizing my Hi-Tek coated bullets, I hope I never have to go back to obsolete wax type lubes.
    I love being able to size everything that is coated and not have to incorporate the sizing and lubing into the loading process. I always used a softer lube so I couldn't make a bunch and put them up. Man I sure don't miss lube in my dies!!!

Sounds like I've not been at this as long as some of you. I've been handloading for about six years casting and coating a little over five years. While I do have some wax/grease lubes stored up I've never used anything but Hi Tek. Was about to buy a lube sizer when I found Hi Tek. Glad I missed the expense.

Boolit Master
    I still have a Lyman 450 Lubesizer with a stash of White Label Lube sticks. But it has not seen the light of day for years.
    But...... you never know...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Do you run rifle bullets through your Star? If so, how fast can you push them with the lube before leading the barrel?
    I do not shoot cast bullets at hunting velocities. My hunting rifles are two .308's and a .300 Mag and I only use jacketed bullets as they are more accurate and provide an effective range past what a cast bullet can give me. I likely use less than 20 bullets a year - one on each deer, and a few to check the scopes. No incentive to use cast bullets for hunting. The .223/5.56 rifle use jacketed bullets as I have a source for 55 gr SP Hornady's for $420/6000.

Many reports with lubed bullets going to 2700 fps without leading. Most rifle shooters continue to use lube in competition but velocities are typically lower. Like I said Hi-Tek is making inroads so it works and works well.

For me, cast bullets are for pistol shooting and I do a fair amount of it. Low velocity stuff with nothing over 1100 fps. Will be looking at a higher velocity (1500-1600 fps) cast .357 carbine load this year. Any decent lube should be fine with it. I stocked up on White Label products.

Hi-Tek is another tool in the tool box. I like things simple, effective and repeatable. Hi-Tek meets those criteria. It will provide a huge advantage for me, if I find a pistol bullet that does not require sizing. BLL is even easier if it works. Do not get me wrong...the Star is a good machine. I have used one for over 40 years, bit old age makes running that handle less attractive.
    Don Verna

dverna
    I was just wondering if you used cast in your rifles. I've pushed Hi Tek coated .308 beyond 2700 fps but it's not my most accurate load. My .223 Hi Tek has been pushed over 3000 fps with no leading. Again not the most accurate load. My best load so far in cast coated .308 is around 2600 fps four bullets in under 3/4" with the fifth making it a one inch group at 100 yards. This load is typically a 1 1/2" load at 100 yards. I've been meaning to take it to the Talledega CMP range and test it out to 600 yards. Just haven't made it yet.

Name:	Best.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	258142 Best

Name:	Groups 012015.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	258143 Typical
    Last edited by Avenger442; 03-06-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    No sense selling the star I just took the lube arm off of my phelps add a bullet feeder and there is about no other manual sizing setup that is faster.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Papercidal View Post
    No sense selling the star I just took the lube arm off of my phelps add a bullet feeder and there is about no other manual sizing setup that is faster.
    Yep, what I done.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Sounds like I've not been at this as long as some of you. I've been handloading for about six years casting and coating a little over five years. While I do have some wax/grease lubes stored up I've never used anything but Hi Tek. Was about to buy a lube sizer when I found Hi Tek. Glad I missed the expense.
    I think I may have ordered the coating before I even bought my first mold and pot.I’ve never used traditional lube but I came across a phelps star clone for nearly nothing and with noe bushings or lathesmith dies it is much easier to size with than a upside down press with the Lee dies. I added a bullet feeder and a point down conversion for my collator and am extremely happy with it.

Boolit Master
    Well slide wanted more feed back and my comment about selling the Star certainly got some. I was pulling your chain a little RydForLyf. If I had a Star I would also use it to size Hi-Tek coated bullets. Avenger442 what load you using in your 308 load mentioned, the 308 is one calibre I have not done much with as yet though I have 5 moulds in that calibre. I do get sub MOA from my 458wm and my 357 Max is just on MOA at 2400fps but I have dropped that load down to 2200fps with the Lee 158gr R/F nose. I intend to take a Red deer with my 357 max in next couple weeks. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Do you guys with the star sizers wear out the steel link between the handle and the sizing ram?

Mine barely last 5000 bullets before its worn an oval hole or broken the pin holding it together.

Page 659 of 742 FirstFirst ... 159559609649650651652653654655656657658659660661662663664665666667668669709 ... LastLast