Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I for one, appreciate Joe's efforts, he is a great bloke to chat to as well, he has been around a long time in the business and has seen all the chemicals and understands how they work, most of which i could never even pronounce. He finds time to help out on the forum, send out orders, develop new colours, and hardest of all, puts up with Trevor stirring him up every chance he gets

Keep up the good work, and try not to pull out any more hair with the issues that one member is currently having, i hope it's something simple causing the issue.

Is there any chance that a majority of the pigment has settled to the bottom of the jar of coating? Yet they were blue before cooking, so it does seem to have been dispersed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I have asked HITEK Joe for a sample of the last TruBlu batch that went to the US so I can do a test on it with Known equipment, settings and Methodology.
    Tazza...1000 yard stare...lol
    I am taking some from bulk pack, and sending you a small jar of the US batch.
    More samples will also be included, as I have some other colours to try out.

Slide & Tazza
    To answer about TRUBLU colour, it is not all that sensitive, as long as it is not over baked and at higher temperatures. The Blue is not what changes, but Resin binder system starts turning Yellow to Tan. So when you mix Yellow with Blue you get green. Depending on just how and type of green the coating gets, will directly be governed by how much combined overbake and temperatures the coating is exposed to, and what resin binder colour ends up finally to alter the Blue colour.

With that single member who is having colour problems with TRUBLU, the pictures I have seen worry me. Colours looked to me to go from Blue to nearly Black. I don't know if it was bad light, or what I saw was accurate.
    I believe that Donnie is sending him another sample out of another batch to test. We will see what happens with that one.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 02-20-2020 at 12:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ah, that makes sense. So in theory, something like old gold that Petander uses is not as susceptible due to being a yellow already, but of course, if you bake the poop out of it, it will get darker with the yellow to tan colour of the over cooked binder. He has shown that is the case and that it still works a;; the same.

I think i'm going to have to hit you up for some Tru Blu, it does look nice

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Tazza;4833300]Ah, that makes sense. So in theory, something like old gold that Petander uses is not as susceptible due to being a yellow already, but of course, if you bake the poop out of it, it will get darker with the yellow to tan colour of the over cooked binder. He has shown that is the case and that it still works a;; the same.

Tazza
    You are correct.
    All the colours (aside from Blue and Black) all have the yellowing of Resin affect final colours. Some more than others.
    Some colours are more transparent and others are less transparent. The final colour effects are not linear or equivalent across all coatings. That is why it is always suggested, that people manufacture, so product works OK, passes all tests, and results are reproducible every time with equipment used, and are happy with final colour..
    What makes life very difficult is the huge variations in equipment, and conditions people are exposed to, with trying to produce consistent results.

Boolit Master
    That is so very true, especially ovens, they all heat differently. You get to know how long to cook and where to put the projectiles and how many to put in. All i could think is it's a radiant heat issue over heating them, but he has done temperature readings that say that is not the case.

The 122 red i use for one particular person comes out perfect every time. It darkens slightly, but comes out the same every time if i follow the cooking times @ 200c

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I have asked HITEK Joe for a sample of the last TruBlu batch that went to the US so I can do a test on it with Known equipment, settings and Methodology.
    Tazza...1000 yard stare...lol
    Perfect! Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I am taking some from bulk pack, and sending you a small jar of the US batch.
    More samples will also be included, as I have some other colours to try out.

Slide & Tazza
    To answer about TRUBLU colour, it is not all that sensitive, as long as it is not over baked and at higher temperatures. The Blue is not what changes, but Resin binder system starts turning Yellow to Tan. So when you mix Yellow with Blue you get green. Depending on just how and type of green the coating gets, will directly be governed by how much combined overbake and temperatures the coating is exposed to, and what resin binder colour ends up finally to alter the Blue colour.

With that single member who is having colour problems with TRUBLU, the pictures I have seen worry me. Colours looked to me to go from Blue to nearly Black. I don't know if it was bad light, or what I saw was accurate.
    I believe that Donnie is sending him another sample out of another batch to test. We will see what happens with that one.
    Joe,

It’s definitely not black, but dark emerald. I will get some pictures in sunlight tomorrow to eliminate as much artificial lighting color effect as possible.

To everyone else, I am in no way being critical of the product or anyone involved with it. I feel like I am on a R&D team working on a new product and I am taking up the role of a field tester just reporting back findings. I have an Aerospace Engineering degree and now manage software development teams, so I am very detail oriented and thorough. I hope I don’t come across as being negative or disgruntled. I think this HI-TEK is some awesome stuff and I have no complaint and am just trying to get it right.

If the binding carrier turns amber, blue turns green every time. I’m just hoping I can figure out why my process is driving it to amber when others are having more success. The blue is sensitive and if I figure it out, I’m hoping what I’m going through can ultimately help others. Unfortunately, it may turn out that the blue turns out to be too much trouble for Joe and he may ultimately decide it isn’t worth all the hand-holding necessary to sell and support it. I’m hoping my failures can lead to easier successes for others.

It’s all good and I’m hoping for good things.

Sorry for the rambling.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Donnie! I really appreciate it. That is two coats of tru blu. Baked with the a.t.m. Coated bullets under a fan for around 10 minutes. On top of the oven until they hit 110 F. When the t-couple hits 360 F I started a countdown timer from three minutes. I used to use four but decided to try three. Works just as good. Use the same procedure with all the colors. Like I have posted before any of the hi-tek colors will look different under sunlight. The tru blu will take on a greenish tint.With the gold you can see the little sparkles in it. I will look different if I am in the sunlight. When Ausglock posts his results maybe he can shoot the photo outside. Whatever they look like that is what the color is. He is the final word on testing hi tek. RydForLyf,if I came across a little rough I apoligize. Everyone here wants to see you succeed.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Thanks Donnie! I really appreciate it. That is two coats of tru blu. Baked with the a.t.m. Coated bullets under a fan for around 10 minutes. On top of the oven until they hit 110 F. When the t-couple hits 360 F I started a countdown timer from three minutes. I used to use four but decided to try three. Works just as good. Use the same procedure with all the colors. Like I have posted before any of the hi-tek colors will look different under sunlight. The tru blu will take on a greenish tint.With the gold you can see the little sparkles in it. I will look different if I am in the sunlight. When Ausglock posts his results maybe he can shoot the photo outside. Whatever they look like that is what the color is. He is the final word on testing hi tek. RydForLyf,if I came across a little rough I apoligize. Everyone here wants to see you succeed.
    No harm, no foul. I’m here to learn and without having a physical sample in-hand for comparison, all we have to go on is pictures and we all know how imperfect that can be.

I think you’d make a good lab partner.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, photos can fool you. If you pm me your address I will send some bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, photos can fool you. If you pm me your address I will send some bullets.
    Thanks! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post

Since Donnie is sending me some of his original batch, I will be able to confirm or deny that soon. There may be a trip to Louisiana in my future. If so, I’ll stop by and pick up Avenger442 on the way and we’ll take our ovens to Donnie’s and all experiment together.
    Louisianan road trip. Good idea. Been wanting to meet Donnie. And I haven't had a good road trip in a while. Since we live not that far away from each other and are Auburn Alum would enjoy meeting you, too. I may have some scheduling problems but definitely doable if Donnie has the time. Been thinking for a long time how cool it would be to have a get together of the coaters here in the US just to get to know everyone in person and share ideas.

Trevor
    Glad to see the man behind the post. Talk Joe into giving you a photo of him to post.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 02-20-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I thought he would be taller!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    RydForLyf, I got bullets in the mail. I will send tracking # in pm

Boolit Buddy
    RydForLyf, I got bullets in the mail. I will send tracking # in pm
    Many thanks. It will be good to do some comparisons and post some pics.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trublue.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	257199

Here are my blue boolits.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I thought he would be taller!!!!!!!!!
    Short, Fat and Slow..... just like 45ACP.....gets the job done...lol

My TruBlu

20,000 SWC waiting to be processed.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 02-20-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Here are two pictures of the same bullets on three different backgrounds

Uncooked first coat, cooked first coat, cooked third coat and cooked two coats. Hopefully the color is better.

Name:	AF3F6DDF-34B0-4C32-A0EC-3AD780378CA1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	257227

Name:	EDD0DC4C-F45E-4297-9F53-AAFC0AFFA666.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	257228

Here are my three temperature read outs. 360 is oven controller, 349 is secondary in-air probe 5” above tray. 366 is ATM bullet probe laying on basket. This temp reads a bit high because the entire probe isn’t designed for being placed in the oven like I am using it. A new probe is being sourced so temp won’t read high. Controller is hooked to fastest reading TC to minimize temperature lags.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D0544AC8-5D2B-4A1E-A9C7-B6478CAF04E3.jpg  
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 02-20-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

Name:	trublue.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	257199

Here are my blue boolits.
    Those look pretty blue. I’d take it.

Boolit Master
    Slide, those blue cast of yours posted above, what mould is that it looks a lot like the 156gr Lyman I modified by grinding out lube grooves. By the way I think they look great. Regards Stephen

Page 654 of 742 FirstFirst ... 154554604644645646647648649650651652653654655656657658659660661662663664704 ... LastLast