Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    bazzer485, when I suggested you move your post to here I forgot to mention Ausglock He is the tester for hi-tek and has probably coated more bullets than anybody on the planet. Listen to what he says!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bazzer485 View Post
    Hi Tek problems. Smoking and rough finish
    I’ve just coated my first 45acp boolits ( 223 gn and 6.6 gn Power Postol) and shooting them I’ve more smoking than with conventional lubed boolits. I gave them three thin coats, they didn’t turn out smooth at all, the color is Kriptonite Geen. They past both the smash test and the acetone rubbing test. So are my results normal? I did start reading the Hi Tek thread, but 629 pages is a little time consuming. I really would like to get rid of the smoking issue, I don’t really care about color or the rough textured finish.
    Thanks
    Bazzer
    Bazzer
    whereabouts are you located?
    Did you get a copy of coating method?
    It would be useful if you can post a picture of first coat after coating (not baked), and also take a picture of first coat after baking.
    What is bore diameter and what size do you size your projectile?
    What equipment do you use to load?

Smoking issues, it is like Ausglock posted.
    Roughness, it is like Tazza posted.

Once we have picture of first coat, before and after bake, and you supply other details requested, more appropriate answers can be supplied.

Not wanting to side-track anyone from their fun and games, but....

2018 blood test showed 9.5pmm Lead contaminate.
    2020 blood test last week showed 11.7pmm lead contimination.

According to the Doc 70+pmm is the worry point.. However my levels did trigger a mandatory report to the health authorities.
    Now i do not eat, chew or suck on my raw casts, in fact I use nitro gloves until they have had their first coat.
    Couple casting with picking up brass. Handling fired brass for depriming etc etc has given me these results..

please get tested and keep an eye on your readings.. It got me by suprise when results came back.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Grem...
    My lead levels drift between 10 to 13 over the last 6 years.
    The last 3 have been 11,12,10... I'm a bit more carefull with hand washing.
    I glove all times.

The wort place to get high lead is at the Gold Coast Pistol club the ranges that have the slanting steel stop butts are the worst. you can actually taste the lead in the air as you re-set the poppers.. the air is dead still and I refuse to reset them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Got my TruBlu from Donnie today. It came with specific instructions on temp to cure at and that baking over the recommended three minutes at temp might yield a green color instead of the blue. The sheet also recommended the AtM technique.

Gotta get some casting done so I can do some coating. I also want to get more K probes and a digital readout that can display at least two inputs so I can establish my baselines as well as do some comparisons.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Got my TruBlu from Donnie today. It came with specific instructions on temp to cure at and that baking over the recommended three minutes at temp might yield a green color instead of the blue. The sheet also recommended the AtM technique.

Gotta get some casting done so I can do some coating. I also want to get more K probes and a digital readout that can display at least two inputs so I can establish my baselines as well as do some comparisons.

I received mine yesterday. Perhaps I should actually look at that ream of paper that came with it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Will need close load temperature control to get blue and not green. If it goes green your temp or time is off. Since most of us have some difference in what we are baking in times will probably vary. Once you have your settings for your set up it should be easy.

Again I ask that all of you doing the blue pill (pun intended) post photos of wipe and smash after you get the color right. I've seen photos of the blue coated from Petander Ausglock and Donnie. So it can be done. Thanks ahead of time for your post.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Not wanting to side-track anyone from their fun and games, but....

2018 blood test showed 9.5pmm Lead contaminate.
    2020 blood test last week showed 11.7pmm lead contimination.

According to the Doc 70+pmm is the worry point.. However my levels did trigger a mandatory report to the health authorities.
    Now i do not eat, chew or suck on my raw casts, in fact I use nitro gloves until they have had their first coat.
    Couple casting with picking up brass. Handling fired brass for depriming etc etc has given me these results..

please get tested and keep an eye on your readings.. It got me by suprise when results came back.
    I got mine tested early 2019 after a lot of nagging from the misses, was 8.2 i think, then got tested again in October, 11.something my doc was not overly happy with me. I was using paper masks that obviously didn't help.... So now i'm using a cartridge filter mask that hopefully is helping. I'm not sure where my exposure is coming from, the casting or the collection of range scrap that contains a lot of powder. I'm very careful to wash my hands before eating, i resist the urge to lick lead bars.

Boolit Master
    Mine went to 13 and I couldn't figure out why... Then it hit me.
    I was wet tumbling and rinsing with bare hands in the tumble water... That dark, dirty water is full of lead residue.. my skin was soaking it up like a sponge. Since gloving for Wet Tumble, lead levels are back to where they should be..
    Last edited by Ausglock; 02-11-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Mine went to 13 and I couldn't figure out why... Them it hit me.
    I was wet tumbling and rinsing with bare hands in the tumble water... That dark, dirty water is full of lead residue.. my skin was soaking it up like a sponge. Since gloving for Wet Tumble, lead levels are back to where they should be..
    I have heard of this before too, i dry tumble, and i think the dust from that could be messing me up as well. I hope to go wet tumble and like you, be careful with the nasty water.

Boolit Master
    Wet tumbling brought down my lead levels after switching from dry tumbling and no longer mining my clubs dusty berms. But that's a really good observation on the skin contact with the cleaning water. Gloves it will be from now on. Thanks, Ausglock.

I shoot at the gold coast pistol club, bu I shoot service/Nra/Ten-Pin so no poppers for me.
    I also wet tumble, anyone who has wet tumbled and seen the crap that is captured in the water, will never dry tumble again if they smart.
    Yes I am @ 11.7 but as doc says 70 is the nasty line, so now I try to keep the exposure to a minimum.
    At least coated pills are safe to handle .

Just thought this was worth mentioning in my first post.. Its not mentioned as much as it should be.

Mike.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Didn't Joe do some testing on how much lead was released when firing a hi tek round? If I remember it was almost nothing. Maybe he will chime in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I shoot at the gold coast pistol club, bu I shoot service/Nra/Ten-Pin so no poppers for me.
    I also wet tumble, anyone who has wet tumbled and seen the crap that is captured in the water, will never dry tumble again if they smart.
    Yes I am @ 11.7 but as doc says 70 is the nasty line, so now I try to keep the exposure to a minimum.
    At least coated pills are safe to handle .

Just thought this was worth mentioning in my first post.. Its not mentioned as much as it should be.

Mike.
    I hope to build a tumbler, $500 odd from aussie sapphires is a bit much for me, if i win the lotto, that may change.

I didn't notice a smell of lead at SPIPC, but i can see how in any indoor range, workers get higher than desired exposure. I'm no where near the bad point, but i'd like to keep it as low as i can. I run IPSC and steel challenge at my range, so i'm exposed more than the regular shooters are when next to them with a timer, copping smoke and potential lead dust.

It would indeed be interesting to see the lead from coated projectiles, sadly not everyone uses them at my range. Is there lead in the priming materials?

Boolit Master
    Primers contain lead styphnates and produce lead oxide. So yeah they will produce smoke that you can breathe. You can buy lead free primers but,they are about 5.5 cents apiece where regular primers are around 3 cents apiece. I have never shot at an indoor range. Doesn't the ventilation system take care of the stuff floating around in the air?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Didn't Joe do some testing on how much lead was released when firing a hi tek round? If I remember it was almost nothing. Maybe he will chime in.
    Slide,
    I am attaching test results, where atomised Lead emissions were measured to Australian and US requirements for atomised Lead exposures.

First lot of Firing.
    50 rounds were fired, within 30 minutes equally spaced throughout the 30 minutes.
    Pistol; Smith & Wesson, model 66, with 6 inch Barrel.
    Brass Cases; 38 Special, mixed brand.
    Primer; Federal
    Powder, Charge 3 grains Winchester WST, per case with primers and Blanks made of Plastic.

Second Firing;
    50 rounds were fired, within 30 minutes equally spaced throughout the 30 minutes.
    Pistol; Glock, model 35
    40 Cal mixed brand Brass Cases,
    Primer, Federal
    Powder, Charge Winchester WST, 3.8 grains per case.
    Projectile 167 grain Flat Point Copper Plated.

Third Firing
    Pistol; Glock, model 35 as above,
    Mixed brand, Brass 40 cal. Cases.
    Primer; Winchester Small Pistol
    Powder; Winchester WST, 3 grains per case.
    Projectile; 155 SWC , with Metallic Gold, Lubricating coating.

Lead test results
    Lead atomisation emission results with the HI-TEK-LUBE SUPERCOAT, met the Work Safe Australia Exposure standards for Atmospheric Contaminants in Occupational Environment May 1995, Lead Inorganic Dust, and the HI-TEK-LUBE Supercoat Gold that was tested, was comparable with Copper Plated type of projectiles in Lead emissions.
    The HI-TEK-LUBE SUPERCOAT (Gold), met the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), Lead elemental and Inorganic Compounds acceptable exposure limits.
    LEAD EMISSION RESULTS Lead Levels AUST. WORKSAFE LIMIT ACGIH LIMIT
    Copper Plated Projectiles 0.84 ug/M3 150ug/Cubic Metre 50ug/ Cubic Metre
    HI-TEK-LUBE Supercoat 2.56 ug/ M3 150ug/Cubic Metre 50ug/ Cubic Metre
    (Old Gold Metallic)

These were carried out inside a Shooting Range that was not used for 1 week before tests were done. We noted afterwards, that the atomised Lead when shooting the Gold, ( 3rd shooting test) was elevated slightly more than the Copper Plated cast. It was realised by tester, that by the time we shor Hi-Tek coated casts, there was an obvious visible cloud. It was reported with test results, that the slightly higher Lead readings with Hi-Tek coated casts, that we disturbed the settled Lead dust with the shooting and introduced atomised Lead from previous shooting. This increase this was picked up by air sampling equipment, and may have contributed to slight increase in the Gold coating Lead results.
    Despite that, the results are, that the HI-TEK coated cast easily met Australian and US health standards for Lead emission exposure, and was very comparable to Copper Coated Cast.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 02-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Boolit Master

Primers contain lead styphnates and produce lead oxide. So yeah they will produce smoke that you can breathe. You can buy lead free primers but,they are about 5.5 cents apiece where regular primers are around 3 cents apiece. I have never shot at an indoor range. Doesn't the ventilation system take care of the stuff floating around in the air?
    Slide, most indoor ranges have air filtration systems. Some work well others not so well.

Boolit Master
    They do have ventilation systems in place, but i don't think you can ever get it all. Air comes in behind you, and out near the bullet trap.

I figure, even if i used lead free primers, others won't, so i'm still exposed, so why bother with the extra cost.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Joe and Tazza!
    Last edited by slide; 02-11-2020 at 11:07 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Master
    Joe - it's a shame a test wasn't done with plain lubed projectiles too, it would show just how much more protection is given with hi-tek vs plain 'ol lubed lead. As the copper plated projectiles still had lead, it has to be from the primers.

Page 648 of 742 FirstFirst ... 148548598638639640641642643644645646647648649650651652653654655656657658698 ... LastLast