RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Yep, that's the one. How many coats on those? Mine are a little darker and don't appear to have that slight reddish tinge that yours have. I took a photo, in sunlight, but it didn't look the same as the actual boolits so there's no point in posting it. As I said it's no great drama 'cos they'll still work fine. It's just that I was expecting them to be, well, RED.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, that's the one. How many coats on those? Mine are a little darker and don't appear to have that slight reddish tinge that yours have. I took a photo, in sunlight, but it didn't look the same as the actual boolits so there's no point in posting it. As I said it's no great drama 'cos they'll still work fine. It's just that I was expecting them to be, well, RED.
    I am using Candy apple red at the moment and it turns out as Ausglock shows, of cause how long they are baked and the temp can and does alter colour some what. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I am using Candy apple red at the moment and it turns out as Ausglock shows, of cause how long they are baked and the temp can and does alter colour some what. Regards Stephen
    My first CAR became Deep Purple because my temp is ok but my radiant heat rises bullet temp to 215°C.

That setting gives me crazy good TMG Gold plain base bullets for full power 45-70 and 500 S&W so I"m reluctant to tweak a thing. A little dark is ok.

Boolit Buddy
    Once you overcook them and they turn dark, additional coats won't achieve the results you are seeking.

Boolit Master
    TMG Gold heat treated.

Boolit Master
    All mine get 2 coats.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Thanks guys, I don't think I'm too far off the mark then, my expectations of a Candy Apple Red were a bit different to the reality. No big deal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Thanks guys, I don't think I'm too far off the mark then, my expectations of a Candy Apple Red were a bit different to the reality. No big deal.
    I bought 122 red, i had in my head that it was a bright red, turns out to be red to purple, looks awesome, just not what i expected it to be.

If you cook it longer but at a slight;y lower temperature, you may get closer to the desired colour.

On a lighter note

If Hi-tec's shed burns for 10 mins @ 200 , does that mean all the new coating we get is pre cooked?
    So we just apply and shoot?

Brisbane and my area is not on fire, but all the grass in every yard is dead. Doubt it will recover.
    My pool is dry, I could not afford to keep replenishing the loss of water. Lastly the entire area from here to the coast is under a
    perminant smoke haze. Tinder Dry is a poor description of current conditions at the moment.

Mike.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Oh wow, you really went there? pre-cooked hi-tek

Yeah, my grass is a nice shade of brown, i do have bore water, but no time to get the hose out to try and save it. It will eventually come back in some areas, others it won't.

We had some really nasty days full of smoke haze, yet the sunrise was amazing, it was a ball of bright red

Boolit Master
    Here is my first cast try with a Model 28. 20 full cylinders of TMG Gold Lee 358 158 RF:s, sized .359, heat treated from 8 to 14 BHN with a 30 min last bake (third coat baked,then ice water dropped). Full house compressed Vihtavuori N110 charge,CCI sp magnum primer.

The three wads close to the rod came from the barrel,the other three cleaned the chambers.

Accuracy-wise,I only shot clays and plates but I was generally hitting what I intended to hit. Easy to see in the snow.

Got the "Tru Blue" coating from Donnie yesterday. Mixed up a batch this afternoon but have to do other things. May be able to coat tonight or tomorrow. Will try to get some photos up in a few. I'm really excited about this color. Looks fantastic mixed. Mixed it reminds me of the metal flake blue we used to use on our cars. Based on color mixed it should turn out about the blue of Subaru's race team. We will see.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Here are those heat treated TMG Gold bullets again. Overbaked at every step. My VV N110 load in a 20" carbine clocks 1850 fps for the 163 grain Lee. Clean barrel.

I'm working on a Mihec NLG for 357,not quite there yet. This ugly Lee shoots great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Got the "Tru Blue" coating from Donnie yesterday...
    You must have connections: it's not even up on the web site yet!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Got the "Tru Blue" coating from Donnie yesterday. Mixed up a batch this afternoon but have to do other things. May be able to coat tonight or tomorrow. Will try to get some photos up in a few. I'm really excited about this color. Looks fantastic mixed. Mixed it reminds me of the metal flake blue we used to use on our cars. Based on color mixed it should turn out about the blue of Subaru's race team. We will see.
    Remember..... no higher temp than 195Deg C. If you have to increase time, do it....but my normal bake time was OK. just drop the temp.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Remember..... no higher temp than 195Deg C. If you have to increase time, do it....but my normal bake time was OK. just drop the temp.

What is most important to remember is, that it is not oven temperature that is most important aspect to monitor.
    All coated cast temperature must be monitored in oven, and load must get to 180C, and thereafter stay there or higher for another 2 minutes.
    Oven set at 200C, temperatures of loads get up fast, and time in oven versus load temperature becomes more critical to watch.

Boolit Master
    I mentioned Mihec NLG above.

It's just too small (.359) for the Rossi carbine that I planned it for. Shoots great and clean in a 586, heat treated from 8 to 14 BHN, the last bake being 30 min.

I'm perfectly fine with Chocolate colour, this technique effectively doubles my WW/lino stash,now that I can use more pure (pistol range scrap) in the magnum alloy mix.

Boolit Master
    I still need to find time to gie this a go, if i can increase BHN for rifle projectiles, it will be very handy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I still need to find time to gie this a go, if i can increase BHN for rifle projectiles, it will be very handy.
    I find that wheel weight alloy with a little tin added more than enough for my 458 WM and 357 max rifles, I drive 500gr Lee GC at 1,700 fps that enough pain for me and the 357 max 158gr Lee pb at 2, 200fps both group into 1'' at 100mtrs, even my 375 Whelen shoots this alloy at 1,800fps with similar accuracy. I do think the smaller 30 cal down may well need a harder alloy. I must say that my tests have shown uncoated and lube filled cast are a waste of time accuracy wise in my rifles. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    My mad mates want to try .30 cal in their .300 black out rifles. I have a 230 grain mould from a mad mate to try out, it' made to take gas checks, i hoped to not need to gas check, but it may be needed for rifles, cheaper than jacketed hopefully depending on what gas checks are worth.

Page 624 of 742 FirstFirst ... 124524574614615616617618619620621622623624625626627628629630631632633634674724 ... LastLast