Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Tested some 145gr mihec boolits in the shadow 2 on monday. 3.3gr of universal (I'm out of ap70). Showed some leading after 10 shots.

The mr bullet feeder mtype expander didn't help. If anything it's worse as the step in the expander shaves tiny slivers of brass out the case mouth.

Next step is to machine up my own plug out of D2. Or whatever I can source through work.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    Tested some 145gr mihec boolits in the shadow 2 on monday. 3.3gr of universal (I'm out of ap70). Showed some leading after 10 shots.

The mr bullet feeder mtype expander didn't help. If anything it's worse as the step in the expander shaves tiny slivers of brass out the case mouth.

Next step is to machine up my own plug out of D2. Or whatever I can source through work.
    Not a great start, what size do you have them sized to? i have had lead scraping due to not opening the case mouth enough.

I made a sizing die from a lump of 4140 steel

Boolit Buddy
    Barrel slugged at .3555-.3560 I sized to .357 but I have a .358 sizer just in case.

Yeah I loaded a few dummies then pulled them and the bases are swaged down a bit, the expander plug only goes roughly 2/3 the seating depth of the mighty 145s. Work is going to be hectic so I won't be able to test for a month or so, but should hopefully get the necessary machining done while I'm on night shift

Boolit Master
    Barrel slugged at .3555-.3560 I sized to .357 but I have a .358 sizer just in case.

Yeah I loaded a few dummies then pulled them and the bases are swaged down a bit, the expander plug only goes roughly 2/3 the seating depth of the mighty 145s. Work is going to be hectic so I won't be able to test for a month or so, but should hopefully get the necessary machining done while I'm on night shift
    What are you firing them out of?
    Please tell me it is NOT a *** Beretta.....
    Please tell me you are NOT using a Lee carbide factory crimp die.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    An absolutely stock shadow 2. All the dies I have are the dillon carbide ones that came with the press. Only using the absolute minimum crimp required to get the round to drop in and out of the gauge.

Boolit Master
    A lot of CZ eople we supply require .3575" Dia for their bullets.
    A few use our 150gn RN with great success.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    A lot of CZ eople we supply require .3575" Dia for their bullets.
    A few use our 150gn RN with great success.
    Good to know, thanks Trev.

What are you firing them out of?
    Please tell me it is NOT a *** Beretta.....
    Please tell me you are NOT using a Lee carbide factory crimp die.
    I like my Beretta ! Thank you very much! Shoots just fine for me and my lifestyle.
    ALL new Lee crimp dies are now set a FCD and yes, you need to be attentive when setting them up.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    My buddy is actually keen on a 92fs. Ben Stoeger runs them, must be good

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I like my Beretta ! Thank you very much! Shoots just fine for me and my lifestyle.
    ALL new Lee crimp dies are now set a FCD and yes, you need to be attentive when setting them up.
    You need to sling back insults of using a glock, i make sure i do that to my mad mate, using tupperware. Yet, the mongrel beats me on occasion with it....... Those days don't count though!

Boolit Master
    Ben Stoeger????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... the run away kid...
    Shot like a C grader at the IPSC Nationals this year. Caused a stir, Spat the dummy and then ran away.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    You need to sling back insults of using a glock, i make sure i do that to my mad mate, using tupperware. Yet, the mongrel beats me on occasion with it....... Those days don't count though!
    Now Now Taz, a glock is a fine firearm!, If you ever drop your knife in a fight its a great backup!!

Dunno who that is. But Beretta is a fun gun to shoot, but by no stretch of the imagination is it either a Tack driver or what I would call a competition gun.
    Depends on what you actually shoot for. At my age its just for fun. I have thrown away more trophies for Rally and speedway racing than most shooters will ever earn. I no longer feel I have anything to "prove" either to my friends or myself.

My wifes S&W 1911 Pro Series runs rings around my Beretta, it IS a Tack driver, and almost boring to shoot.

Boolit Master
    My Para 1911 GI Expert 45ACP is the most accurate iron sighted gun I have ever had. Consistently hit an 8" steel plate at 50 yards offhand.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    My Para 1911 GI Expert 45ACP is the most accurate iron sighted gun I have ever had. Consistently hit an 8" steel plate at 50 yards offhand.
    Yes back before Jack boot Johny had it destroyed my Springfield Para was unbeatable, got that way I would be given the medal as I walked up to sign in to shoot. I will always love the 1911 and clones. Regards Stephen

Slightly off topic:-
    The old destroyed Lee mold I had in 9mm. Brought to me for repair about 3 years ago. I retrieved from the scrap shelf and re-purposed for 358 Button nosed LSWC of the two colt Pythons, has been a success.
    First run out of the mold, coated twice with Red/Copper and loaded with AP70 returned 620-640 FPS over the Crony and 2" groups at 15mtrs. The casts were 152gn +/- 2-3gn.
    These were slightly heavier than what I was aiming for, so I striped the mold, chucked it up in the 4 jaw on the lathe and refaced a few thou off the top.
    Result was casts @ 148gn again +/- 2-3. Happy with the weight these were again coated in HiTec Red/Copper (2 coats).
    Yesterday I ran them through the crony loaded with 4gn of AP70 and over 80 rounds got a average of 710fps.
    Tested at 15mtrs , accuracy was exemplary and recoil felt smooth.

So I am willing to call this exercise a win.
    Not a great fan of wheel guns, but these Pythons are growing on me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    these Pythons are growing on me.
    Two pythons ! Aren't they fairly hard to come by these days ? And you have two..

Boolit Master
    The credit for hitting that plate goes at least as much or more to you, Trevor, rather than the gun. I don't know how you say it Down Under, but in the States we say it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Two pythons ! Aren't they fairly hard to come by these days ? And you have two..
    No longer made and have become a bit of a cult gun after Rick in the walking Dead used a 6" for the show.

These two are in my care most of the year but do not belong to me as yet. One is 6" and the other its bigger brother , the 8". Either shoot 38spl or 357 Mag.
    I.d like to work up a load out in AP50 for these as AP70 is a much dirtier propellant. I think I will wait till the new ADI (Hodgeson for the USA guys) powders start filtering through. AP45S or whatever they decide to call it.

Mike.

Page 604 of 742 FirstFirst ... 104504554594595596597598599600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614654704 ... LastLast