Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    I have a correction: I mis-understood donnie! He said his friend shot 223 at 2700 fps with a gas check. I dont shoot rifle, just helpin out. My budget is 380,9,40,45.
    No worries, gunoil, I did get an e-mail from Donnie today and he mentioned the friend.
    Also mentioned some other facts and he is interested in doing some of his own R & D with my boolits.

I will be sending him a care package with some Lee TL309-230-5R, Lee C312-155-2R & the Mihec 60gr. NATO .223 projectiles for him to test out.

I'll be getting some of these back from him coated for me to test out and I'll be posting results as well, to include loading data, chrony results, targets and and other after-action info that I find.

I'll be sending him the boolits later this week, when I receive them I'll load some up and head to the range.

I'll be out-of-town next week so I'm thinking that within the next 14 days I should be able to post some verifiable data on this thread.

Hope the 100+ degree weather cools off a bit by then...even if it is a dry heat, it is still damn hot!

Keep The High Ground,

G

Quote Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
    We either have or on order...multiple integral suppressed (couple of H300IC & several Leonidas), several AAC Handirifles with Silencerco Osprey, and other AR with AAC 762SD & screw-on/QD.

Details on the casting/reloading center
    http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...&t=3397&hilit=

On the guns & cans...
    http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpr...&t=3370&hilit=
    Good God A'mighty!

That's quite an inventory and kudos on all of the planning you are putting into your project, podna.

Will look forward to your T & E once your shop gets up & runnin'.

G

Boolit Master
    The idea of grooveless bullets in handguns is that it allows you more weight and larger bearing surface. There is no lead flow to the rear of the bullet. recovered coated bullets show no such occurance.
    The driving reason behind this groove removal is from IPSC shooters here in OZ. We are using 357Sig for Major power factor in Std Divison. So we need a heavy bullet with short nose to fit in 2011 and Glock sized mags. 125gr is too light and recoil is a killer. bullets in the 145 to 170gr range are preffered. a 165gr RN with no groove gives a 168gr bullet. so the extra 3 gr of weight means slightly lower velocity needed to make Major PF and this translates to lower felt recoil and quicker sight recovery.
    IPSC is the driving force behind T&E in the handgun sports and this transfers to the commercial bullet casters as well. Probably 80% of commercial cast and coated bullets in OZ are fired by IPSC shooters.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me...G View Post
    bigfelipe...thank you for the addition of this key information.

I will await Donnie's response to my e-mail and see what he says.

I just think that there has to be somebody out there that is using Hi-Tek for .300 BlackOut purposes.

I did see over in the powder coat thread that there are a few individuals using their boolits for this exact reason.

beyond that it really would be great to get 2700fps out of the AR with the Mihec NATO boolits that I am casting.

please keep us posted on your progress on this project.

Many Thanks,

G
    No problem, Agreed, and will do... I responded to that email about color as well and Donnie said for rifle velocity, he recommends using either the Red Copper or Gold Hi-Tek. I intend on asking more info when I order.

I didn't get my order in today. Gonna call him tomorrow and order a liter kit in Red Copper I think. If it's going to act like Jacketed, may as well look the part

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
    No problem, Agreed, and will do... I responded to that email about color as well and Donnie said for rifle velocity, he recommends using either the Red Copper or Gold Hi-Tek. I intend on asking more info when I order.

I didn't get my order in today. Gonna call him tomorrow and order a liter kit in Red Copper I think. If it's going to act like Jacketed, may as well look the part
    With the red/copper... drop 2 bullets into the bottle of coating to act as mixer balls, before you start measuring out your parts. The solids in the red/copper settle to the bottom and need really good shaking to get mixed correctly. It looks like you are getting your coating in tins. I get it in clear plastic bottles, so it is easy to see when the red/copper is mixed into suspension.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

After shooting this db9 daily it is truly amazing how clean the lil' barrel stays. I keep barrel bone dry inside. I just ran a brush thru it litely after looking thur both ends with my magnifier as i aleays do. Ive worked steady and hard but i have had a smile ever since this "hi-tek-supercoat" came on fedex.

This Db9 has been updated by the company and it is incredible. I have stayed with their growing pains.

Here is the first run of 380 bullets/no lube groive/108gr/makarov nose. You saw mold up above:
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post

Thanks for the follow up, brother.
    Good call on the color differences.

As I mentioned on my post above, I will be sending Donnie some boolits...the ones he sends back to me will be coated.
    I'll keep the thread posted as info becomes available.

Went shooting tonight with my friend Travis tonight to break in his SBR & Handi-Rifle, both in .300 BlackOut.
    Talked to him about this development and if all goes well we are going to start a 2-man mass production.
    Especially interested in the 180gr to 230 grain subsonics to feed all our firearms.

G

Boolit Master
    Was talking to HI-TEK Joe last night. He is sending a sample of his new Black coating and the new 2-Extreme Catalyst for me to try.

The 2-extreme is supposed to be more slippery than the Extreme catalyst. This 2-extreme might be the answer for the rifle shooters. Due to the length of time spent in a longer rifle barrel/pressure behind the bullet type thing, the slippery coating may have a friction advantage for the 223 etc etc.
    Shame I don't cast for rifles...
    I feel Bayou Bullets are going to get a lot of calls looking for HI-TEK Joe's coatings with his secret herbs & spices...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

what pic u want popper? I sized the big bunch of 380's, their beautiful and slick after sizer. They look shiny.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the advantages of no lube grooves would be total encapsulation of the boolit by the coating. I have a couple of boolits that it is very difficult to get the lube grooves covered. It is not necessary to cover the lube grooves since they don't contact the bore so it is more of a visual appeal thing.
    The tumble lube boolits probably should have the mini lube grooves all covered with the coating since thay are so shallow.

Banned

trust me leadman (you sent me my first hitek bullets) after two thin coats the shallow or deep lube grooves are covered.

TRY AUSGLOCKS REDIPE: 5+1+7acetone

They may be different color but they are covered with "2" baked on coats @ 375. You and i dont care bout cosmetics cause you can not see grooves anyway.
    Members should know this hi-tek-supercoat is thin as WATER. Thats' thin as "WATER" and twice baked. (3 coats for rifle)

The "thin as water" thing was the reason i bought my hi-tek-supercoat.

Its shake-n-bake mama!
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-04-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me...G View Post
    Good God A'mighty!

That's quite an inventory and kudos on all of the planning you are putting into your project, podna.

Will look forward to your T & E once your shop gets up & runnin'.

G
    Thanks!

And just ordered some company for the other 300 BLK....a 9" this time.

Boolit Master
    Bloody hell. We would give away a testicle to have these toys here in Australia.
    I had a Colt AR-15 HBAR back in the 1990's. Loved that rifle. The SLR L1A1 7.62 and the Valmet 76 were also great fun. But, They were stolen from us by our government.
    Never let it happen to you lot.

The new black coating should be here today. I have been casting like a demon to have plenty of "test subjects" to try the black coating on.

I now have red/copper Infidels, green Zombie Slayers and soon some Black Knights.... yeah baby...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

iam calling black HTS the "tasmanian devil", Their black, right! The gold color should be easy to make,? huh? Iam caught up with all 3 my pistol rounds. I still cant believe how clean barrels are.

[edit] still shooting HTS(Hi-Tek-Supercoat) every day.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Trev We will me thousands of test subjects once the machine supplier contacts me

Boolit Buddy
    Ausglock let us know how that 2-Extreme works. I have and order coming in from Hi-Tek here shortly with the red copper, black, and gold. Im thinking the 223/556 with red or black coated in the 2-Extreme would be nice.

Banned

cool popper, I let ya know

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    With the red/copper... drop 2 bullets into the bottle of coating to act as mixer balls, before you start measuring out your parts. The solids in the red/copper settle to the bottom and need really good shaking to get mixed correctly. It looks like you are getting your coating in tins. I get it in clear plastic bottles, so it is easy to see when the red/copper is mixed into suspension.
    I do this with all the colors!

OK, You guys have convinced me to give this stuff a try. Just got off the phone with Donnie, ordered a kit with the red copper. I plan on coating for several different calibers including 9mm, 45acp, 300 blk, 30-06, 30-30, 223 and 50 Beowulf. Found a convection oven on craigslist. I hope it works as good for me as it has for you guys. Appears to be pretty impressive. Time to fire up the melting pot and get ready for the fed ex truck

Boolit Bub
    Just got off the phone with Donnie. Ordered a liter of the Red Copper. It seems to be the all around color. He told me it's recommended by the manufacturer for rifle velocity but works just as well and easily on handgun bullets and subsonic rounds. Should be in the mail Monday. Can't wait.

gunoil, I'll be taking you up on that offer soon...

Page 6 of 742 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106506 ... LastLast