Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I use the K15 Black to cover bullets use to test new coloured coatings.
    Mix it 20gms:100mls. 2 coats covers really well.
    These bullets get 4 actual coats and perform perfectly.

The easiest way to clean coating from trays used for coating only is to soak them in a tray of acetone for 5 minutes and them wipe with cloth etc. Or scrap with a razor blade and them wipe with Acetone on a cloth.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    What containers do you guys use to mix the acetone and powder together?

I've been using cheap Kmart plastic lunch containers with 4 clasps that are water tight but the rubber o ring seal gets hard after a while.

I have to buy something else tonight.

Got a welder, welded a 12mm post in place of the 6mm post and it has been good for 6 or so hours of run time. I love spending $600 to save buying a $40 part to get free bullets.

At least this time my wife didn't see it.

Boolit Master
    I use old glass jars, the seal does get soft and puffy over time, but then i just ditch it. It allows me to put a syringe in and suck up the liquid easily.

I have used old PET bottles from coke or pepsi, they handle the acetone pretty well, but hard to suck up measured amounts of Hi-Tek liquid. The odd thing is, they bottle did shrink somewhat.... Not a lot, but you do notice it. Others have bought a bottle of acetone from Bunnings and used this to mix it in, chemical proof and it seals.... Drop a few old projectiles in it to assist with mixing when you shake it up. Yet the same issue exists, getting the measured liquid out. I have just poured a little into a container to suck up from then re-fill as required. Do it in little batches as you want to keep mixing the liquid hi-tek, especially if a metalic is used.

Think of the welder purchase as an investment, you will be able to weld all those things the wife wanted you to, so you really did buy it for her

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post

I've been using cheap Kmart plastic lunch containers with 4 clasps that are water tight but the rubber o ring seal gets hard after a while.

Got a welder, welded a 12mm post in place of the 6mm post and it has been good for 6 or so hours of run time. I love spending $600 to save buying a $40 part to get free bullets.

1/2 pint mason jars are perfect for mixing you do have to replace the lid once in a while as the acetone eats the seal after a while.

Boolit Master
    Glass Jam jars are good. can mix 300mls at a time.
    Kantong chicken tonight and pickle jars work great as well.
    Easy to get a syringe into.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Glass Jam jars are good. can mix 300mls at a time.
    Kantong chicken tonight and pickle jars work great as well.
    Easy to get a syringe into.
    I use valcom panang jars, we use a few jars of that a month, so easy to get. Just don't sniff my coated projectiles, they may smell a lit like curry

I use a sauce bottle that doesn’t have a separate seal in the lid. The shape of the lid clamps on the top of the bottle and doesn’t leak. The stopper cap works very well and the bottle can sit for months without much evaporation. Just give the cap a quick wipe with acetone while any spilled coating is still fresh and it cleans straight off. Don’t bother using a syringe, found stainless measuring spoons are perfect. Good shake of the bottle right before pouring stirs up any settled coating. Once coating measured and poured, simply put the spoon in a jar and cap when not being used. Once there is a bit of coating buildup on the bottom I thin with acetone and that can be used again.

If you are experimenting with many colours then using recycled containers would be a cheaper alternative.

I’ve been using this bottle for at least two years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99A79C4B-ACB8-4D07-87A0-23137A893CDD.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	243724

Name:	BD1EC7A8-8D96-4DB9-9F5B-26BFDC778BBF.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	243725

0.50 cent sauce bottles from the cheap shop.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't you spill the powder putting it in a sauce bottle?

Don't you spill the powder putting it in a sauce bottle?
    I use a funnel for the powder, saves a big mess. Normally use a bit of wire with the end curled a bit to push powder through if it gets stuck then pour the acetone through the funnel and that cleans it too.

Boolit Master

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These work like a champ for me.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jatz357 View Post
    I use a sauce bottle that doesn’t have a separate seal in the lid. The shape of the lid clamps on the top of the bottle and doesn’t leak. The stopper cap works very well and the bottle can sit for months without much evaporation. Just give the cap a quick wipe with acetone while any spilled coating is still fresh and it cleans straight off. Don’t bother using a syringe, found stainless measuring spoons are perfect. Good shake of the bottle right before pouring stirs up any settled coating. Once coating measured and poured, simply put the spoon in a jar and cap when not being used. Once there is a bit of coating buildup on the bottom I thin with acetone and that can be used again.

If you are experimenting with many colours then using recycled containers would be a cheaper alternative.

I’ve been using this bottle for at least two years.

Name:	99A79C4B-ACB8-4D07-87A0-23137A893CDD.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	243724

Name:	BD1EC7A8-8D96-4DB9-9F5B-26BFDC778BBF.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	243725
    I like this idea..... Measuring spoon, so no need put the liquid in another container to suck up with a syringe. Now to find the 50c sauce bottles Gremlin is talking about!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellas. I bought a couple coles small air tight lunch box containers. $2 each. I'll try the sauce bottle idea I think though. I've got some 115ml cerakote bottles but I might order the next size up next time. I reckon they would last well. I end up doing everything in black anyway.

Did the first coat on a few thousand 145's last night for my 9mm. Recoated this morning and will finish them off on my lunch break.

Boolit Master

I prefer old wine or bourbon bottles with a cork.
    I don’t like anything with threads. I tend to make enough to last a while and the threads get gunned up while pouring.
    If it seems like some has evaporated since last use I just add a splash more acetone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I like this idea..... Measuring spoon, so no need put the liquid in another container to suck up with a syringe. Now to find the 50c sauce bottles Gremlin is talking about!
    If you want to be real cheap use Rosella or such tomato sauce squeeze bottles, I have used them since I started. You may notice my Sir name is Jewish and Granma was Scottish you don't get no tighter than that. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    If you want to be real cheap use Rosella or such tomato sauce squeeze bottles, I have used them since I started. You may notice my Sir name is Jewish and Granma was Scottish you don't get no tighter than that. Regards Stephen
    hehehe

Don't think of it as being tight, i figure the more money i can save, that means more money there is left over to shoot with. Well, what's left after the wife raids my wallet.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svu6oHcd7d0

back in the day of liquid coating, powder is exactly the same procedure
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svu6oHcd7d0

back in the day of liquid coating, powder is exactly the same procedure
    Haha I remember seeing this when you first posted it, I had to admit my eyes watered with the crack about the gloves as I had only just visited my glove wearing doctor a few days earlier. For what its worth mate its a bloody good production an starts with a joke as all enjoyments should. Regards Satephen

Boolit Master
    A Lee 2cm3 powder measure has worked for me for a year. It's melting down but very slowly. Easy to use with a dressing bottle.

Name:	th-32.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	243748

Boolit Master
    I like the 14 oz dish soap containers that have a snap on lid for my coating and use spoons to measure the coating, a 1 1/2 teaspoon is about 7 ml of coating. These dish soap bottles will shrink a little but have lasted for several years now.

Page 593 of 742 FirstFirst ... 93493543583584585586587588589590591592593594595596597598599600601602603643693 ... LastLast