RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 59 of 742 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159559 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think a fast powder or soft alloy makes a huge difference. The alloy and load need to be balanced, same as any cast load.
    The coating isn't going to make up for a too soft for pressure alloy. It also isn't going to degrade a load that already works.

The coating merely replaces the lube, it doesn't change the other parameters regarding cast bullet shooting. Balancing the alloy, diameter, pressure, and pressure curve still matters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I don't think a fast powder or soft alloy makes a huge difference. The alloy and load need to be balanced, same as any cast load.
    The coating isn't going to make up for a too soft for pressure alloy. It also isn't going to degrade a load that already works.

The coating merely replaces the lube, it doesn't change the other parameters regarding cast bullet shooting. Balancing the alloy, diameter, pressure, and pressure curve still matters.

Thanks.
    That sums it up well.
    I am concerned, that the coating seems to be regarded as solve it all problems, or some think like armour plating..
    It is simply a way to separate metals and offer lubrication.
    It cannot compensate or repair wrong engineering combinations.
    Having said that, I have been working on designing a coating system that has superior hardness toughness and tenacity.. with idea of approaching engineering properties as being provided by Copper jacketing but supplying lubrication.
    Preliminary trials indicate that I have achieved a very tough coating system, which may be able to supply much more benefits.
    It is in early stages, and initial tests indicate that we are heading in right direction.
    Will keep you posted.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your work on this is to be commended. This coating has changed how we view cast bullets.

I eagerly await your results with the new coating systems. It may well be exactly what rifle shooters are looking for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi,
    I was thinking, that if you are wanting to use coating and another lube, why don't you combine the two as one coating?
    If the coating itself is causing drag inside barrel, and requires additional lubrication, you have a choice of using Extreme or 2-Extreme catalysts.
    These two, would provide the toughness and with extra slip as well.
    This is confirmed during sizing, as sizing becomes hardly any effort to complete when using the Extreme and 2-Extreme catalysts.
    If you can, just ask Donnie for small sample of each to play with to test out with your application.
    I would really appreciate your results after you have a play.
    I am certainly interested in this. I would like to try the Extreme 2 or 3. Do you know if Donnie has any. I know he had a SMALL amount of 2 a couple moths ago.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post

I think you will find it does. Been playing with this stuff for MONTHS. I have probably coated 30,000 or better. Try it in a nine running pretty good and you will see you must have a harder alloy than 8-10. I have caught literally hundreds of boolits. I can with confidence say that if you are planning something in the realms higher in pressure than 45ACP, you best go to an 14bhn unless you just like to tinker. My custom magnums are a good example. Lubed with felix, I can run an 8 BHN and get away with it. With coating it has to be 10+ or better for no leading.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

fast powder. slow powder. makes no difference. I have used everything from WST to 2400 and coated works with everything.

Super light loads through to full power teeth rattlers. coating works.
    Maybe I should have put super fast powder? Example one of my favorite loads is a 168gr SWC using 2.7gr of AA#2 which works prefect with normal lube but with the coating it fails everytime, alloy and everything but coating vs lube staying the same. Now my 102gr and 124gr bullets with unique or power pistol the coat works great and leaves the barrel cleaner than normal.

Go to a Faster Powder like bulleyes and the coating leads like crazy but I can't say the lube is any better with bulleyes as I haven't tried it yet.

That got me wondering why does the lube work with AA#2 and the coating doesn't? Well I don't know but what would happen if I put one light layer of coating on and then lubed the bullets, again I don't know but I'll find out.

I'd like to see results of someone running the fastest powder's like N310 and see how the coating and lube compares.

Boolit Bub
    I coated a few today, just wondering if this is what they are suppose to look like. I also tried coating 3 times to get them a little darker, but I really can't tell a difference.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawgfan View Post
    I coated a few today, just wondering if this is what they are suppose to look like. I also tried coating 3 times to get them a little darker, but I really can't tell a difference.

What coating did you use?
    If it is Blue/Green then it is OK.
    They will not go darker with more coats.

Boolit Master
    Yep. that is it. You done good.
    I find 5-1-7 coated twice is all that's needed.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    What coating did you use?
    If it is Blue/Green then it is OK.
    They will not go darker with more coats.
    Yes it was the blue/green. I guess I meant to say, thicker instead of darker. I just wanted to make sure they were coated good, so I had no chance of leading.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Yep. that is it. You done good.
    I find 5-1-7 coated twice is all that's needed.
    I tried the 5-1-7 today, the only difference I could see is the drying time, but I am all for making the product go farther. Thanks for all your help.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a small amount of green solution in my fridge for about a week now-maybe good for two coats of 9s or 38s. Anyone think it'll still work or should I dump it? Before use I was gonna add a couple parts acetone for any lost solvency.
    Also, is the green limited to low velocity loads? I have the standard catalyst. I'm wanting to load 44 and 357 "magnum" revolver loads...14.5gr+ for 357 and 21gr for 44 mag alliant 2400.
    357- 6 inch barrel, 44- 7.5 inch barrel
    Last edited by Shotgundrums; 09-18-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    BHN measured before or after coating?
    after. Wish there was a way to water drop and maintain bhn. It would cure all my issues. Tried on the sas soft for linotype but no takers.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgundrums View Post
    I've had a small amount of green solution in my fridge for about a week now-maybe good for two coats of 9s or 38s. Anyone think it'll still work or should I dump it? Before use I was gonna add a couple parts acetone for any lost solvency.
    Also, is the green limited to low velocity loads? I have the standard catalyst. I'm wanting to load 44 and 357 "magnum" revolver loads...14.5gr+ for 357 and 21gr for 44 mag alliant 2400.
    I made up a pretty good size batch and I have been using it for 3 days now. I haven't seen any side effects yet.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Gold will do that too. I think it's the metallics. Black doesn't do it.
    Just a little update with 11bhn. In my magnums 357,41,and 44 the alloy Ht combination is marginal at that bhn. I wanted to use them for hunting applications so really didn't want hardball. At full snot loads, the coating is stripped off by the rifling. The cure is to traditional lube too if you are running magnum velocities or move to hardball. I prefer the softer bhn so am lubing on top. One hole accurate in my 44 at 100yds. You MUST match alloy to application to be successful. If it leads with some of the better lubes like Felix, HT won't cure it. Put them together and wow. Just some info for you rifle guys.

I think I sorted my problem: Too much acetone allows the metallics to fall out of suspension easily. Backed off the solvent last batch and the coverage was much more uniform.

Regarding green Hi Tek and full house .44 Mag loads, specifically 2400: No dramas! First thing i tried and the results were excellent. It's the light loads that tend to give me fits.

Boolit Master
    I have had the green up to 1900fps with no worries.
    I have mixed coating sitting here for over a month on the bench and I'm still using it with no side effects.
    Now that we are heading into summer, I'll store the colour resin and catalyst in the fridge. But the mixed will stay on the bench. I mix 130mls at a time and this can take a month to use.

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    I am certainly interested in this. I would like to try the Extreme 2 or 3. Do you know if Donnie has any. I know he had a SMALL amount of 2 a couple moths ago.

I have a fair amount of the Extreme 2 due to arrive in a couple of weeks.
    3-extreme will have to be on the next order. It wasn't available when I originally placed my order.

Boolit Buddy
    It is still good, just shake very well and you'll be good to go.
    I have purposely let some mixed formula set out for 3 weeks to see what would happen to it and it worked just as well as newly mixed.

Boolit Master
    the 2 and 3 extreme Catalyst are over rated. I now mainly use the 1 extreme Catalyst. The 2 and 3 work ok with the Red copper, Gold and green, But I had issues with the 3 cat and black.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    the 2 and 3 extreme Catalyst are over rated. I now mainly use the 1 extreme Catalyst. The 2 and 3 work ok with the Red copper, Gold and green, But I had issues with the 3 cat and black.
    I'm guessing the extreme catalyst can be used either coating? What does it do? I mean, I've heard of it making bullets more "slippery?" Fill me in please lol