Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Bub
    I'll buy some soon as it is available in the US.
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Master
    Other than being a different color. Does it do anything the other colors don't do?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Other than being a different color. Does it do anything the other colors don't do?
    No...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Trev you got a 145 to 158 SWC in 358 you don't need? Got a req from a friend to load some 38 specials for her Pythons. If not looks like a trip to CBE up in toowoomba.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Picked some shotgun projectiles from the berm today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_232509_245.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	242602

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Trev you got a 145 to 158 SWC in 358 you don't need? Got a req from a friend to load some 38 specials for her Pythons. If not looks like a trip to CBE up in toowoomba.
    G'day Grem. Sorry, Mate...No go. The closest we have is 156RNFP
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have 158 swc, but they have all been sized to .357 unless you think they could do the trick.

With how tight they were to get through the die (almost needed a 6 foot bar on the press), they could have easily been sized to .358, they automatic one i made hates SWC, so all by hand

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Picked some shotgun projectiles from the berm today.

Name:	IMG_20190529_232509_245.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	242602
    Good adhesion,Petander.
    How many coats and what loads? I have some Lyman 500 gr slugs coated with bronze haven’t got a chance to test them. Been laid up with a bad back over a week now.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I have 158 swc, but they have all been sized to .357 unless you think they could do the trick.

With how tight they were to get through the die (almost needed a 6 foot bar on the press), they could have easily been sized to .358, they automatic one i made hates SWC, so all by hand
    Tazza, if you used Aqualube they would have slipped through like Duck you know what. Down sizing alloys even if hard ones, you should get very good load reduction on sizing equipment and possibly up to 50% load reduction, and may be more, depending on alloy and amount of Aqualube used. Using extension bars certainly opens up possibility of damaging your equipment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza, if you used Aqualube they would have slipped through like Duck you know what. Down sizing alloys even if hard ones, you should get very good load reduction on sizing equipment and possibly up to 50% load reduction, and may be more, depending on alloy and amount of Aqualube used. Using extension bars certainly opens up possibility of damaging your equipment.
    I may have to give some of it a go next time i order from you just for these 158s, they have always been a bit tough to size. They are meant to drop at .357-358 i think, plus coating which brings them up even wider. I manage to squeeze them down with an old lee classic C

Boolit Buddy
    Lube helps a lot. I broke my lee C press handle.

Now i use less leverage on my star sizer with a bit of one shot lube in each handful I throw into the bullet feeder.

Picked up another 150kg's of lead from my pistol club last week, it's almost time to do another casting session.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    Good adhesion,Petander.
    How many coats and what loads? I have some Lyman 500 gr slugs coated with bronze haven’t got a chance to test them. Been laid up with a bad back over a week now.
    Three coats. Loads are 1300-1500 fps, all these have gone through some snow first,then hit icy berm.

I have a bucketful of slugs to collect.

Edit: Aqualube is the slipperiest thing that ever slipped.

Name:	IMG_20190530_123704_258.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	242629
    Last edited by Petander; 05-30-2019 at 05:40 AM.

You mean your automatic one hasent got a 3/4ton capacity!!! tsk tsk.
    If you have any not sized gimme a yell, I think I hasve 200 or so 38super mixed brass looking for a new home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLIehTaANcg
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    You mean your automatic one hasent got a 3/4ton capacity!!! tsk tsk.
    If you have any not sized gimme a yell, I think I hasve 200 or so 38super mixed brass looking for a new home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLIehTaANcg
    I have actually not done the math on what tonnage it puts out, i'd think it would be fairly high, but some styles they just flip me off when they try and go through the die It's a 1/8 hp motor with a 25:1 reduction box to give me a max of 60 RPM @50hz but i can over run that a bit with the VFD

Sadly they are all sized..... The only way around it is to put a few more coats of hi-tek on them? do you rekon that could bring them up the one thou bigger required? The lead they are made from is about wheel weight hardness. You are welcome to give it a go if it will get you out of trouble.

Boolit Master

coating thickness

Sadly they are all sized..... The only way around it is to put a few more coats of hi-tek on them? do you rekon that could bring them up the one thou bigger required? The lead they are made from is about wheel weight hardness. You are welcome to give it a go if it will get you out of trouble.
    Tazza,
    for each coat of Hi-Tek, (at about 20g to 100 mls mix), each coat adds about one thou plus or minus. If you simply want to add 1 thou, coat again and dry, bake as usual. Then measure finished diameter.
    For accuracy, make sure measurements for diameter is at comparable temperatures for before and after adding another coat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza,
    for each coat of Hi-Tek, (at about 20g to 100 mls mix), each coat adds about one thou plus or minus. If you simply want to add 1 thou, coat again and dry, bake as usual. Then measure finished diameter.
    For accuracy, make sure measurements for diameter is at comparable temperatures for before and after adding another coat.
    That is what i thought too. One coat should do the trick if needed

Boolit Buddy
    One of my IPSIC customer claims, after a bit of testing, that he gets higher velocities with Candy Apple Red coating, than with my previous batch coated with Gold 1035.

This is with the same boolit, casted from the same alloy, in the same casting run, but coated at a later time, and of course tested at a later time.

Have any of you experienced the same? What do you think, could the different coatings cause this or are other variables responsible for this? I'm thinking temp, humidity and so forth, when chronoing.... And maybe when backing. To me the Candy Apple coating seems a bit thinner than the Gold when mixed with the same ammount of accetone.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I posted this down below, but I'm hoping the Hi-Tek crowd can chime in with some advice. I'm using Hi-Tek to coat some boolits for 303 Brit, and right now I'm using a mold design that has a gas check shank. I'm getting tired of playing around with the gas checks, and would like to move to a plain based design.

I know some people are saying PC acts like a gas check up to a certain velocity, and I'm wondering if Hi-Tek does the same. I'm only planning on pushing these boolits to around 2000 fps, and if I can get away with a coated plain based boolit and not have accuracy issues or fouling, I'd be happy

Boolit Master
    I shoot lots of 45-70, my lightest bullet goes 2000 fps. 325 grain plain base with Hi Tek TMG Gold.

Clean barrel,good accuracy.

Name:	IMG_20190530_190929_589.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	242702

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    One of my IPSIC customer claims, after a bit of testing, that he gets higher velocities with Candy Apple Red coating, than with my previous batch coated with Gold 1035.

This is with the same boolit, casted from the same alloy, in the same casting run, but coated at a later time, and of course tested at a later time.

Have any of you experienced the same? What do you think, could the different coatings cause this or are other variables responsible for this? I'm thinking temp, humidity and so forth, when chronoing.... And maybe when backing. To me the Candy Apple coating seems a bit thinner than the Gold when mixed with the same ammount of accetone.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
    I think Old mate has environmental issues causing his velocity variations.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 589 of 742 FirstFirst ... 89489539579580581582583584585586587588589590591592593594595596597598599639689 ... LastLast