Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    What could possible go wrong with worn locking lugs in a 38 super pushing 125 grain Tc's @ 1350 fps
    The lugs looked pretty good actually, the edge wasn't sharp like a new one, but not really rounded. For $200, i figured it was worth it just for the comp, it came home with me. It doesn't fit my slide, as the threaded part was machined down a little further, so with the comp fitted, it doesn't sit quite deep enough. I may try and remove the comp so i can wind it back a turn or two to give clearance. Once i get my new one fitted, this one may become my fun play barrel, not sure for what just yet, but one that won't make me sad if something was to happen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with full loads in 45-70 rifle without GC but with Hi-Tek coating?

It would be cool if this coating could replace Gas Checks? It's not funny to apply gas checks to several thousands of boolits!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
    If you're running a Rurer No 1 or 3, Try this mold http://www.castbulletengineering.com...-single-cavity I have a modified version, Less driving bands, more bore riding and no gas check, It has never failed me in 25 years

Boolit Buddy
    I'm producing one bullet in 405 gr and I'm running a comercial bullet company so it's tedious with a lot of gas checking.

Because of this it should work in many different rifles, mostly lever rifles. The bullets work great in many rifles with full hunting loads with GC. Similar performance wirh Hi-Tek and without the GC would be cool if achieved.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have coated the Magma 405 gr bullet cast out of 6-2-92 alloy with Bronze 500 and they shot fine out of a .458 So com, no leading and at 100 yards shot 1 1/4 " groups.
    I use the Bronze 500 for magnum loads with out a gas check.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have coated the Magma 405 gr bullet cast out of 6-2-92 alloy with Bronze 500 and they shot fine out of a .458 So com, no leading and at 100 yards shot 1 1/4 " groups.
    I use the Bronze 500 for magnum loads with out a gas check.
    I sold my 458 Socom.

Never got cast to work, I may try again with all stainless gun though. The barrel copper fouled with j-bullets incredibly bad, I tried lapping and firelapping,no help. It must have been chromed. J-bullet accuracy was great up to 20 rounds,then the copper buildup started to show. 350 Hornady was excellent.

458 Socom also feels "undergunned" to me because my Marlin 350 J-load has been 2150 fps for 15 years or so. Most 458 bullets don't open up in 458 Socom velocities,it's a fun plinker though.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Ausglock

What size do you size your 9mm for your glocks at?
    What size is the Barrel you have? before he can answer that.
    It has no bearing what size he casts for his glock. His barrel could be .003 +/- different than yours.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot some at .356 and .358 today and the .356 worked great. I was just wondering his size.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Ausglock

What size do you size your 9mm for your glocks at?
    .3565"
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Northern smelters 2/6/92
    very light
    drying overnight

Boolit Man
    Just made a batch with MEK, what a difference, the liquid does not flash dry almost instantly, plenty of time to swirl and the liquid seems thinner and more willing to smoothly flow over the entire bullets surface, can't wait for 12 hours to pass so I can bake.

Boolit Master
    Others have said MEK was faster to evaporate, i actually thought it would be faster, good to know.

No reason why you need to wait 12 hrs, as long as it's dry, it's good to go, warm them on top or in an oven to say 50c, you should be good to go. It dries really fast, i have baked after only a few hours air drying without any heat to aid in it for batches of 10-15,000

Boolit Master
    MEK gives a longer swirl time. If you need longer with Acetone, add 10% Metho to your mix. this slows down the drying. Also.. Don't wait 12 hours. Just warm them with a fan heater or on top of the oven. I coat and bake within 20 minutes. I have a fan heater blowing over the trays of coated bullets before baking. They bullets are warm to the touch. That is all you need.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Others have said MEK was faster to evaporate, i actually thought it would be faster, good to know.

No reason why you need to wait 12 hrs, as long as it's dry, it's good to go, warm them on top or in an oven to say 50c, you should be good to go. It dries really fast, i have baked after only a few hours air drying without any heat to aid in it for batches of 10-15,000
    TAZZA
    It is obvious that your first coat is thin, dries quickly and more completely without requiring heat drying.
    That is great.
    However, you may be taking a risk, by thinking, that this will happen over and over, with weather conditions continuously changing.
    It would be a shame to discover, that you will have to melt down 15,000 due to insufficient bonding.
    It is better to be pro-active and no surprises.
    As I have suggested many times, that baking a few first from a batch, to test dryness, is best option. If you get a few fail with baking, no big loss, but it will tell you if batch is dry or not adequately.

Boolit Buddy
    Just did a batch of 10 x 370 gr for the .404 with black. Plan to try em without checks. Coating is good and bases are completely covered. Usual load of 28 gr blue dot.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Yep,heated drying is good. I dry ~30 min, bullets are 50°C then.

You can dilute the mix by adding a little alcohol to the bullets first,then swirl them so the look wet. Add Hi-Tek solution and swirl normally. Gives a longer time and thinner,even coat. I do 8 lbs batches, I add ~2 ml alcohol by feel using the bottle cap. Then 6ml of Hi-Tek.

I used to have both diluted and full strength bottles mixed ready to use but this works very well when you want slower evaporation / thinner coat. So I only have full strength bottles now. It became crowded with all the bottles...

Boolit Master

Will it suspend in pure ethyl alcohol? I added 25% to my acetone as suggested to slow drying when I first started using Hi Tek, have wondered about a higher percentage to slow it even further.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    MEK gives a longer swirl time. If you need longer with Acetone, add 10% Metho to your mix. this slows down the drying. Also.. Don't wait 12 hours. Just warm them with a fan heater or on top of the oven. I coat and bake within 20 minutes. I have a fan heater blowing over the trays of coated bullets before baking. They bullets are warm to the touch. That is all you need.
    I only wait 12 hours, because everyone always busts my chops when the coating won't stick saying " you baked too early",
    its just a way of being extra sure if you get my drift.

I tried metho, it seemed to make zero difference in drying time.

Boolit Master
    I'm tweaking my baking oven a bit,summer is here.

Also invented TMG Brown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190516_213908_252.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	241814

Boolit Man
    Well, changing to MEK was an unmitigated success.

The coating feels smooth, silky and stays on during the smash test.

Speaking of smash test, I hit the projectile side on with a hammer, the coating stays on that face and the edges but the under side on the concrete
    chips off to some degree, is that a pass or fail?

Boolit Master
    Pass.
    I smash mine on a lump of rail line or a lead ingot.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 586 of 742 FirstFirst ... 86486536576577578579580581582583584585586587588589590591592593594595596636686 ... LastLast