WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Ball end slot drills and end mills do good work.
    I opened up a 40cal TC mold to make 210gn RN molds. Only problem is that they become flat base...I hate flat base bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    When I get around to it, I will see which way is best/easiest. My first thought was to take the mold apart and chuck it in my lathe in a four jaw chuck. This is certainly do-able, but a bit of a PITA. Now however, I have access to a milling machine, which will be easier if I can round up the right size reamer or end mill.

In the end though, it should make a good boolit.

Yesterday I made a nipple wrench for my Black Powder revolver, and a cartridge case comparator set for my calipers using the lathe and mill. $60.00 worth of tools made for nearly nothing, and they are better than store bought. Plus there is the satisfaction of having done it. Nice!!

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Ball end slot drills and end mills do good work.
    I opened up a 40cal TC mold to make 210gn RN molds. Only problem is that they become flat base...I hate flat base bullets.
    I have a Fadal VMC 4020 with a double acting vice , ceramic tips will easily turn down HSS tools , Um wait a minute, are you telling me, you can have 45acp and 40 cal in NSW on your H license?? And get to shoot two matches in one day? Arrrrgggg...... Or a small Woodruff cutter would do it also... So what size would you open up a lee Tumble lube 9mm to if you wee going to coat it in Hi tek? Would you remove all the grooves?

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    When I get around to it, I will see which way is best/easiest. My first thought was to take the mold apart and chuck it in my lathe in a four jaw chuck. This is certainly do-able, but a bit of a PITA. Now however, I have access to a milling machine, which will be easier if I can round up the right size reamer or end mill.

In the end though, it should make a good boolit.

Yesterday I made a nipple wrench for my Black Powder revolver, and a cartridge case comparator set for my calipers using the lathe and mill. $60.00 worth of tools made for nearly nothing, and they are better than store bought. Plus there is the satisfaction of having done it. Nice!!

Vettepilot
    Nothing beats making everything yourself.. But those of us living down under need to be very very careful when it comes to making all things firearms related.. One persons interpretation of the Weapons Acts can easily be different from another's..

Boolit Master
    I use 40, 44 and 45 for Metallic Sillywets.
    Also 45ACP for "Wild Bunch" all on a Hical permit.

I used a 10mm ball nose and it works great in the 40S&W with 2 coats of HITEK
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    When johny wanted my .45, i shot sillywet once, i then reluctantly gave it up One day i may give it another go.

M.A.D - you are spot on, there is always someone out there trying to blame things on us in the media, anything to disarm the legal folk out there

Boolit Master
    I am terrified that the USA is headed the same way on gun control. The general public is so dam gullible, ignorant, and led like sheep to slaughter regarding these subjects and allowing the government to run (ruin) our lives...

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    I have heard they have tried to strip the USA public of their rights, but i thought as it's in their constitution, they simply can't do it. I even saw a perfect example of the public's stupidity after a shooting, they were saying an AR15 was an assault rifle, that's what the AR means!!!! No one needs an assault rifle version 15......

What always gets me about our laws, is the media spin it saying how many people die via firearm, they don't break it down into to murders, suicides, etc. Then with those stats, how many die in cars? they don't ban the family car cause it hit someone and caused a death. We all know a firearm is a machine, nothing more, it's the person behind it, same as a car. Don't get started with malpractice from health care providers, they would be banned instantly!

Until you change the heart of the person behind the machine you will never change the outcome of the machine's use.

Joe
    I know this might have been discussed before but is Hi Tek compatible with using naphtha as a solvent? Naphtha doesn't attract moisture when drying like some others. Was mentioned as the go to solvent for a project I was looking at because of this.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Thing is, We are the most scrutinized people in Australia, We have State and Federal police background checks just so we can have a gun. And we are always the bad guy.. Yet in reality, We are the most honest people in Australia..

Out of curiosity, While I'm waiting for my delivery to arrive, Has anyone tried using their Swaging Dies to just swage a perfect lead bullet, de grease it, then Hi tek it? Did they work? I swage a 260 grain for my Whisper , Wondering if a coated lead version would work , Same for my 700 HBH

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Thing is, We are the most scrutinized people in Australia, We have State and Federal police background checks just so we can have a gun. And we are always the bad guy.. Yet in reality, We are the most honest people in Australia..
    So very true, to get our licence, we need to do a safety course that takes a full day or two now, have police checks, have on going checks on our storage facilities, get bitched out by the media and public that feel they know better than we do.

The public just can't get it through their head that they can ban every gun that exists, the bad guys will still get them and use them. We go through so much ** to get a gun legally, we aren't going to do anything stupid to loose that right.

I see posts about it on facebook, some people get all aggressive on both sides, i just skip past, i have said my peace on there in the past, nothing changes, so i just move on and let other people get frustrated.

I even had someone post something gun related, to which i replied with sarcasm "ooh guns, bad bad" This turd went off his nut at me, i just sat back, not saying that i was also a LEGAL firearm owner. These are the sort of people that give all of us a bad name. He didn't take a breath and ask me any questions, just went off on a rant. That is till i got a word in to say well..... Actually i too am a legal firearm owner of a good 17 odd years, that also runs 2 pistol matches for my local club. He quickly changed his tune when he realized we were "brothers" then said we should get a beer some time.... yeah.... nah

Boolit Master
    Out of curiosity, While I'm waiting for my delivery to arrive, Has anyone tried using their Swaging Dies to just swage a perfect lead bullet, de grease it, then Hi tek it? Did they work? I swage a 260 grain for my Whisper , Wondering if a coated lead version would work , Same for my 700 HBH
    I actually wanted to try and swage lead projectiles, no idea how it would work, it would be slow but interesting all the same.

So nreason why it wouldn't work with a de-grease then coat with Hi-Tek

Boolit Master
    Someone should just invent a really good, mass-produced, AA battery powered laser gun to give the "do-gooders" something else to worry about legislating out of existence, and leave us nice folks the he'll alone!!

So anyway, what's the material cost to get started with the Hi-Tek system? (I have acetone, oven, etc.)

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    You just need powder and a plastic jar to shake them in. Oih and a place to let them dry.

Very easy process to do

Boolit Master

I have a .458 swage die set that I am going to try it with when I get time to cast some 450 grain bullets. Works great for swaging jacketed bullets. Think I will degrease and also soak in acid before trying to coat.

Boolit Master
    I believe you will have problems with coating sticking to swaged bullets, I believe swaging will give the same smooth surface that sizing will and this causes problems with adhesion, perhaps soaking the swaged bullets in acid will give a surface that will allow good adhesion. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post

Joe
    I know this might have been discussed before but is Hi Tek compatible with using naphtha as a solvent? Naphtha doesn't attract moisture when drying like some others. Was mentioned as the go to solvent for a project I was looking at because of this.
    Hi Avenger
    Sorry, but solvents like Naptha and other Hydrocarbons do not work.
    The Hi-Tek coatings, aside from Acetone and MEK, simply like solvents that contain Oxygen, like Methanol (too unfriendly material), Ethanol, Propanol, to a lesser extent Iso Propanol (Never tried it). There may be others, but I have not tried these as the best type for end use was Acetone and MEK.
    Actually, coating itself will attract moisture to an extent if left in containers not sealed well. Any solvent used, that dries quickly, will chill due to fast evaporation rates. This simple phenomena will also cool alloy and coating and resulting chilling effect will attract moisture to coated surfaces. This moisture is then trapped inside coating, and unless dried out adequately, will cause a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post
    Someone should just invent a really good, mass-produced, AA battery powered laser gun to give the "do-gooders" something else to worry about legislating out of existence, and leave us nice folks the he'll alone!!

So anyway, what's the material cost to get started with the Hi-Tek system? (I have acetone, oven, etc.)

Vettepilot
    I was doing some prototyping work and when i was finished , I was invited to NORINCO's Building 182 about an hour north of Beijing, Right next to NORINCO's Test range ( If you love Rock and Rollers , You would drool at their collection) Anyway while i was there, I was shown a Laser rifle.. It was pretty big and would have weighed a good 40kg (95lbs) they told me it could blind a person at 1.8 miles (3km) Now , that was 20 years ago... Battery technology etc has come along way... They probably have something a 1/4 of the size now..

Well I degrease my cores after swaging to weight and size, And then i give them a hot wash in a caustic solution , That oxidises the lead , let the cores sit for a few days, then i seat them in the jacket.. I wonder if the oxidised lead would make it stick better? Anyway, As soon as my Hi Tec Black K15 arrives, I will give it a go...And let you all know..

Page 579 of 742 FirstFirst ... 79479529569570571572573574575576577578579580581582583584585586587588589629679 ... LastLast