MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Mold
    I know someone here has tried this, who's has tried to coat shotgun shot? We have just started making our own and dialing in the process and was thinking why not we have every thing.

Coat shotgun shot? Should be as simple as me coating .177 pellets so you don't have to handle lead dust each time you load a round. I have a post with pictures somewhere here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney Cahill View Post
    I know someone here has tried this, who's has tried to coat shotgun shot?

TMG Gold tungsten shot #6, Zombie Green #4 buck.

Attachment 236852.

Attachment 236853

Boolit Mold
    Petander.

Did you do anything special? My buddy I do this with is not convinced it can be done. We are dropping our own shot right now have droppers running 7.5 and 8's

Petander, is there anything you haven't tried to coat?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney Cahill View Post
    Petander.

Did you do anything special?
    Not really.I use some added denatured alcohol for slower evaporation. I dry my shot on a flat pan on top of an oven,the dried shot sticks together a little but a little shake is enough to separate it before baking. I then bake in the same pan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Petander, is there anything you haven't tried to coat?
    My cat. But I'm working on it.

Attachment 236876

[QUOTE=HI-TEK;4582058]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post

NO Problems at all.

I am a bit confused, which one of 4 I sent, are you now using? Zombie, Lime Green, Dark Green,
    Dark Green Metallic?
    Sorry for the late reply Joe, been busy with a few projects. I picked up a pair of 60KG buckets of CoWW will smelt that lot into igots and try a second batch of Lime Green. The blue/Green worked fine. I got 2 weeks off from shooting. ISSF comp has shut the range down .
    Will get back to you ASAP.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    My cat. But I'm working on it.

Attachment 236876
    Good mouser. My wife won't have a cat for fear of the "gifts" that will be presented to us with great pride.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Good mouser. My wife won't have a cat for fear of the "gifts" that will be presented to us with great pride.
    I never meant to get a cat. But this half-wild creature moved in our house last fall,it took a few weeks to even touch it. One day he walked inside and here he is.

I've had german shepherds for 25 years,lost the best one ever last summer. So we decided no dog for at least a year... and now this. I'm getting softer year by year,normally these creatures should be eliminated from the woods by any means.

But it's not the cats' fault,it's us humans who leave them out in the wild. They face a slow, horrible death in winter, before that they kill everything they can. And yes,they can.

Boolit Master
    My parents got at least 2 dogs like this, they just arrived at the door and their face said, i live here now. One was the nicest puppy/dog you could ever have. We think he was a cross between a Labrador and a rottweiler. Rottie colours, but the temperament of a Labrador. He lived with us for a good 15 years before he died.

I agree, when domestic pets are left to fend for them selves and turn wild, they really need to be eradicated. Cats kill so many wild animals.

Boolit Master
    same here. An old cat followed Mum home from the phone box down the bottom of the street back in '83 he just walked in and plopped down on the lounge room floor. Decided to stay until his passing in '92.
    We named him Dibble, cause the ABC news was on the telly when he walked in and James Dibble was reading the news.

He was a spiteful old bugger. Didn't like getting locked out of a night and he would sit on the gatepost and harass any dogs that walked up the footpath.
    RIP Dibble.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    When my brother and I were being dropped off to school, i think i must have been in grade 2, my brother in pre-school, a black mangy kitten came up to my mum, it came home with her, and had a pretty good life. She wasn't the most friendly cat, but didn't rip you to shreds when in a bad mood

Boolit Buddy
    Hi gents

A bit of a thread hijack I know, but what molds are you blokes using for IPSC (I'm shooting production with a shadow 2) here in aus ? I'm currently using tigershark plated 147rn, but am suuuper keen to cast and coat my own.. I'd be keen on keeping a similar heavy slug. At this stage I'm looking at mp molds, or an accurate mold, in 6 or 8 cav. I emailed cbe but he won't do anything more than a 3cavity..

Also what are the best/easiest hitek colours to use ?

Further, could I convince anyone in Bris to hook me up with 50 or so cast and coated to try out ? Beer tokens provided...

Boolit Master
    Ah, based in brisbane too! What club do you freequent? you are more than welcome to a hand full of mine to try out. The alloy i use is a bit softer, but i have never had leading issues. The next batch i make will be a bit harder though, just did 500 odd kg of range scrap with some lino added to bring it up a bit more.

I use 2 cavity moulds, so my advise may not be suited to you. I personally use magma 125 conicals in my STI, others like heavier, very few seem to use 147s in standard 9mm or .38, but they do get used in .357 sig. I sell 147s to only one guy (RARELY) that uses them for 9mm, everyone else uses 125 or 135 in their shadow 2.

I liked the K15 black, mainly because the previous coating was also black, i used Red 122 and REALLY liked it, it looks awesome. The good thing about the black, if you over bake, it doesn't get any darker

Boolit Master
    Gatch.
    We make 135gn RN and 150gn RN for 9mm Minor in CZ SP-01's Shadows etc etc.
    CZ's like .357 Dia.

We are Susan Island Bullets. You probably have seen our Green bullets getting around the ranges.

K15 Black is easy to start out on, as overbaking doesn't hurt the colour.

Tigersharks? hahahahahahahaha... Ask Victor Oliveria what he thinks of them...hahahahaha
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Are tiger shark really that bad? i have heard a few nasty stories, but hoped that was just one batch that they messed up.

Yet a know people that promote their projectiles and have no issues, but the competition level we shoot, if they aren't perfect, no one notices with how many misses we get anyway

Boolit Buddy
    Cheers for the quick replies gents.

I shoot at COBPC at belmont. I've only been licensed a few months so don't really know much about who supplies what etc. I haven't had any quality/price issues with the tigersharks. It's just the projectile cost is 3/4 of my reloading cost and I know I can make this muuch cheaper in the long run making my own. Which will let me practice more..

With the 145 they only have to do 900 fps or so, so could probably make them from nearly anything. I'll be using wheel weights anyhow. I can get my hands on half a ton on the way home from work if I want

Boolit Master
    I'll have to beat you to the wheel weights

I'm at SSAA Belmont, you you are just around the corner from my club, entry off Belmont rd instead of old cleveland.

Boolit Mold
    I have close friends that live in Aus. can the coating be brought back on the airlines? packed in a bag ect. would not mind getting some colors we dont have here

Page 565 of 742 FirstFirst ... 65465515555556557558559560561562563564565566567568569570571572573574575615665 ... LastLast