Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    You can try CBE in Australia:
    http://www.castbulletengineering.com...age=2&Items=12

You will probably need to get them machined to fit your machine though. Worth asking their advise.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    You really have been baking! :O

S/H ovens really are everywhere. A $1000 oven becomes a $50 oven in a couple of years. Money aside but I really feel that I wasted some time and effort, trying to learn coating with a new,cheap "toaster convection oven". I use it for drying coated bullets on top of it now.
    I have indeed been busy, but the commercial boys will have way more than that up their sleeve

I remember the issues you had with your toaster oven, shame it caused so many issues, but at least you worked it all out.

Boolit Buddy
    One stupid question....... Does hitek work with black powder loads?

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    No reason why not

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post

There's no stupid questions.

I even coat my shotgun slugs because my "economy slugs" (re-filled factory trap rounds) usually wreck the shotcups pretty good.

( Here where I live, loading slugs like that costs only half compared to using separate components.)

I also load proper slugs,much prefer coated for handling & coding.
    Last edited by Petander; 01-25-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Didn't do a smash test on the last batch of 9MM bullets. I don't think they dried long enough so I had some flaking.
    The coating is on there pretty decent so I'm going to shoot some for the heck of it.
    I guess I was too impatient with the 30 degree weather in the workshop.
    Ah well the good thing about lead is if it doesn't work I can always recycle it into new bullets.

Banned
    I always use a fan in a rack to dry my boolits until they are 110% dry then I set the tray of boolits on my oven and warm them for 1 bake cycle. Don't like wasting8 pounds of boolits having to smelt and start over

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I always use a fan in a rack to dry my boolits until they are 110% dry then I set the tray of boolits on my oven and warm them for 1 bake cycle. Don't like wasting8 pounds of boolits having to smelt and start over

Yeah I was a little rushed and now I'm paying for it.
    I haven't had any time to cast lately and I was all out of 9mm so I rushed my way through and now I'm still out of 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post

Yes, but. Hi Tek will not take the place of your greased patch. To keep fouling from the black powder soft you still need the grease.
    I loaded some 44 magnum shells with Hi Tek bullets when I was making my own black powder. They had a dab of homemade grease on the bottom of the bullet with a cardboard wad to separate it from the powder charge. The rounds shot decent at 25 yards out of a Ruger Redhawk but obviously not magnum. Didn't do this again as I was just interested in seeing how the powder would work in that cartridge. The coating probably added some speed and may have kept some lead out of the rifling? Now have a 45-70 and may try that rifle with a black powder load and Hi Tek. Only trouble is the black powder is messy, as you probably know.

One of the advantages, at least for me, of the Hi Tek coating is it keeps the cleaning chore lighter. I recently shot 100+ rounds through my .380 using Hi Tek coated bullets. The barrel had some powder residue and nothing else. It has been the same with my other guns.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Happy Australia Day.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    heheh

The evil aussie drop bear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I haven't had any time to cast lately and I was all out of 9mm so I rushed my way through and now I'm still out of 9mm
    I use a heat source to dry coated bullets in cold weather, fan with heater, wood stove, any thing to get the bullets up to 120 deg F for 15 min to 30 min, cold weather just makes drying harder to do. I don't think a fan with out any heat will do any drying in 30 deg F weather.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I use a heat source to dry coated bullets in cold weather, fan with heater, wood stove, any thing to get the bullets up to 120 deg F for 15 min to 30 min, cold weather just makes drying harder to do. I don't think a fan with out any heat will do any drying in 30 deg F weather.
    My last batch i put into an old worn out toaster oven with the door open. It was just warm in there and did the trick nicely on some .360 round balls I was coating.
    Today I'm going to bring them into the house and set them in front of the blower for the coal stove. Should dry them nicely.

Boolit Master
    I would leave them out side for 30 min to let the Acetone flash off as much as it will in cold temp, before bringing them in the house.
    I have done this and set them on the wood stove until they get to hot to touch then put them on the floor for 30 min.
    So far my wife's nose alarm hasn't gone off doing this in the house.

I doesn't get as cold here as in some places. Been in 20s F at night. We sometimes see below 0F but rarely. My basement stays between 40F and 60F in the winter with a small heater. Also run a dehumidifier down there so it is about 45% humidity. My bullets dry, first coat, over night usually. Sometimes less than an hour. Second and third, most of the time, less than an hour. I have some down there right now that had the third coat put on about two days ago. Just have been busy and haven't baked them. I don't know of a time limit on waiting to bake. The longest I remember waiting was two weeks.

They still bake good with dust on them.

inoon44
    It is funny how God gave our wives what I call the "atomic nose". Mine can smell my shoes in the next room. She really loves it when I bake the bullets and she is home. So I just wait until she goes to work.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 01-26-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    What's that old saying --
    "the hurrier you go the behinder you get"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    What's that old saying --
    "the hurrier you go the behinder you get"
    You said it!

Today i brought the batches into the house and popped them on top of a 20 pound barbel that I put on top of the coal stove.
    10 or 15 minutes there before they went back out to the shop and they cooked up fast. Pre heat helped for sure!
    Passed the smash test beautifully. I cast up about an akro bin full of 9mm to play with and some lee 312-155 to go with them. All sized up along with a heaping akro bin of 358156 which got lubed with white label 2500 plus.
    I cast some with a new lee 405 grain 457 and sizing didn't go so well as they drop at .454 to .455. Guess that one's going back

Boolit Buddy
    I have some range lead to cast and coat. It's around 8-10 BHN. Would 3 to 4 coats of Hi-Tek coating work enouph for this soft of lead in 9mm? Anyone coat with 4 coats to give extra protection?

Boolit Master
    I do three coats on the exact same lead without issues. I could get away with two coats, but i go for a third just to be sure and make them "pretty"

Boolit Buddy
    The thing is I had to end up using 120 ml per 20 grams because if it didnt as the 100ml per 20 grams instructions say then I have horrible leading. Once I use the 120 ml I have zero leading. I did 3 coats with the 120 ml and It was covered 100% with the kryptonite green but it looked then. I could use my nail to scratch the coating if if I was ruff with it. Wouldn't the barrel tear the coating off? I ended up doing 4 coats with the kryptonite green and the old gold colors. The smash and wipe test all passed amazing.
    I like the old gold color.. very nice and uniformed. 10 min. At 400 F on a full size house convection oven.

Also I put my 5 lbs of projectiles on the top of the highest tray. Would there be and air flow or advantages if I put them on the middle rack?

Question for Ausiglock.

How many lbs do you put in your oven at one given time?

Page 556 of 742 FirstFirst ... 56456506546547548549550551552553554555556557558559560561562563564565566606656 ... LastLast