Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I did a swim-test with TMG with those slugs that I just posted when a bottle had only 1 cm of solution left in the bottom,I added 4 cm on denatured alcohol. So that's 1/5 strength.

To cover the hollow bases (after two normal coats) I simply poured half a cup of that diluted solution in the bowl and let the slugs swim, shaking. Poured the solution back in the bottle,swirled the slugs for a while.

I got reasonably nice hollow base coverage that way,I know it's mostly cosmetic but I like it. Might work for HP:s as well - and it uses very little coating itself. I keep that diluted "swim-coat" bottle for similar use in the future.

Petander,
    Now that is clever. Got coating applied evenly, and recycled excess. It adds to the weight of apply first coat "thin" .
    You can get a lot of first coated slugs that way, and use very little coating, the penny just dropped......WHAAAT????? using less, that is criminal conduct!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Look ma,my cat just caught another Trevor:

Even that "Trevor' has TMG colours, as well as cats ears. Are you sure that you are not feeding these critters with the TMG Gold?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Even that "Trevor' has TMG colours, as well as cats ears. Are you sure that you are not feeding these critters with the TMG Gold?
    We are all addicted to TMG Gold.

Boolit Man
    I've got some gold in the other day and I really like it. I've noticed after I shake it within 30 seconds if that, there's already powder on the bottom settling. Same with the candy apple red. Is that ok or should I be doing something different. Mixed out perfect, even added a little denatured alcohol. Here are some with 3coats

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Shane... you are shaking far too long....10 seconds is all it takes... dump them onto the tray still wet
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    The way i understood his post, was that when he mixes the hi-tek powder, he sees the metalic sinking to the bottom or the container.

I make sure i give my jar a shake every time i go to suck some up in a syringe to suspend the colour in the mix. Then i know it will be right when i squirt it in the shaking container.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Shane... you are shaking far too long....10 seconds is all it takes... dump them onto the tray still wet
    I'll shorten the shake, that's possibly why they're blotchy. Thanks

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    The way i understood his post, was that when he mixes the hi-tek powder, he sees the metalic sinking to the bottom or the container.

I make sure i give my jar a shake every time i go to suck some up in a syringe to suspend the colour in the mix. Then i know it will be right when i squirt it in the shaking container.
    Yessir, I shake it vigorously lol. May just be this color shows better. I need to get a syringe. Instead of this measuring spoon. Thank you

Boolit Master
    10mL syringe is the go. cheap and east to get repeatable measures.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    So what do ya'll think, not there yet I think. Shortened my shake to were I can clean my mixing bucket with a rag. Still trying to figure my oven out good. Think I'm going to do smaller batches. I cover one of the burners to slow the direct heat. Top has a fan.

Boolit Master
    Looks fine to me. what are they 200gn SWC 45 pills?
    No coating in the groove or at the nose shoulder is fine on SWC bullets.
    You will find that the second coat will get better coverage of the shoulder.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Looks fine to me. what are they 200gn SWC 45 pills?
    No coating in the groove or at the nose shoulder is fine on SWC bullets.
    You will find that the second coat will get better coverage of the shoulder.
    Thank you, makes me fill better. That's actually the second coat. I'm able to wipe some of it off with acetone. Held up to the hammer test, and then I hit it with acetone and as you can see. Some of it came off. Is that fine?

Boolit Buddy
    I dont think that's a pass for the hammer test.

It looks like it's starting to flake?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    I dont think that's a pass for the hammer test.

It looks like it's starting to flake?
    The one side that's bare is where I wiped it with acetone. The other side I didn't, the missing spots didn't get covered. But I don't feel it passed. Any longer in the oven they would've burnt. Some were beginning to burn. Any idea where it went wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe not dry enough or too much lead in the oven at once.

If the coating comes off at all with the hammer test its not right. Hard to tell through photos but looks like some flakes on the bench.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shanep View Post
    The one side that's bare is where I wiped it with acetone. The other side I didn't, the missing spots didn't get covered. But I don't feel it passed. Any longer in the oven they would've burnt. Some were beginning to burn. Any idea where it went wrong.

shanep
    Can we start at the beginning.
    With descriptions you advised, the results are very unusual and require your step by step details, before we can provide helpful replies..
    With below questions, can you please supply much more details.

1. What alloy are you using? (from what is visible it does not look like 92:6:2 alloy)
    2. Do you use any mould release or other lubricants during casting?
    3. How did you determine, if first coat was dry, and before you baked? How long did you dry first coat and what were drying conditions.
    4. How much coating did you add to how many cast with first coat?. Is your oven fan forced? How did you determine oven temperature?
    5. How much alloy did you cook per load in oven?
    6. How did you determine temperature of alloy inside oven, and how long did you bake?? What was alloy temperature when finished baking?

Boolit Master
    You mention that any longer and they get burnt, if you set the oven to 200c, they will not burn, but can get a little darker, they will still work just fine. The initial cook for me, can get a little dark, the second and third coat make them perfect.

For the wipe test, no colour should come off, a slight colour on white paper towel or rag is fine, but NO lead should be exposed after wiping, if any is shown, you haven't got it hot enough for long enough. I did this once, i had he oven set too low, and they failed, re-cooked and they were fine.

Boolit Man
    shanep
    Can we start at the beginning.
    With descriptions you advised, the results are very unusual and require your step by step details, before we can provide helpful replies..
    With below questions, can you please supply much more details.

1. What alloy are you using? (from what is visible it does not look like 92:6:2 alloy)
    2. Do you use any mould release or other lubricants during casting?
    3. How did you determine, if first coat was dry, and before you baked? How long did you dry first coat and what were drying conditions.
    4. How much coating did you add to how many cast with first coat?. Is your oven fan forced? How did you determine oven temperature?
    5. How much alloy did you cook per load in oven?
    6. How did you determine temperature of alloy inside oven, and how long did you bake?? What was alloy temperature when finished baking?
    My alloy is ww with antimony and tin from solder. 3 antimony 1 tin. Cut back to 2 and a half pounds bullets with half teaspoon of coat. Oven is forced fan temp is 375 with bottom burners covered.

Boolit Master

coating failure

Quote Originally Posted by shanep View Post
    My alloy is ww with antimony and tin from solder. 3 antimony 1 tin. Cut back to 2 and a half pounds bullets with half teaspoon of coat. Oven is forced fan temp is 375 with bottom burners covered.

I don't know if you have been following this thread long.
    There is detailed posted results with cleaning cast made from mystery metals.
    Wheel weights may be a problem but can be used.
    What you may have to do, is cast, and soak some in Hydrochloric Acid, (concrete cleaning acid) that has been diluted two parts water and 1 part acid.
    You can get this stuff in most hardware stores. (You can re-use the diluted acid mix)
    Do it in a plastic container. After soaking say over night, wash them well, and dry them well, then coat.
    After coating, dry them well also, even if you can warm to 50C before baking.
    Contaminants in wheel weights may be causing poor adhesion and acid pickling will remove surface contaminants and allow you great bonding with coating..
    When first coat is dry, try baking a few first, and examine results before you bake the larger batch.
    Let us know how things go afterwards.

Boolit Master
    Shane... if you can wipe the coating off back to bare lead, then you have no where nearly enough heat in your oven. get a thermometer to check the oven temp. Go have a look at the HItek do's and don'ts thread. and follow the steps.
    The above acid treatment is a last resort for mystery metal...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 549 of 742 FirstFirst ... 49449499539540541542543544545546547548549550551552553554555556557558559599649 ... LastLast