Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    ****, have fun moving those buckets. When i dump mine into buckets, i work out where i want them to stay and fill them. I'm not going to even attempt to move a bucket with 120kg of lead in it.
    I'm out of buckets!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Look at 31-165C for the proper way to do grooveless rifle moulds. 100yds, 2100 fps 145gr PB from 300BO AR carbine. Believe the 'spread' is from gas port base cutting.
    Attachment 230243
    Looking good.

I have figured that the bigger caliber I cast for,the more money I save.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Doesn't he live pretty close to you?
    Yep we use pigeons.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Look at 31-165C for the proper way to do grooveless rifle moulds. 100yds, 2100 fps 145gr PB from 300BO AR carbine. Believe the 'spread' is from gas port base cutting.
    Attachment 230243

That is very impressive Popper.
    What sort of ammo is normally used in such a gun?
    Were these all just cast coated with Hi-Tek?
    Would you get such accuracy with other ammo as well?
    If you had some gas cutting. I am thinking that may be a dip of end into coating mix,( after successful 2 coats), can supply essentially a third coat at tail end, where heat needs to be reflected.
    It seems, that the very high energy of load, you may need extra heat reflectance benefits. The coatings should give you some.
    Great test for comparison to see what happens.

Joe, those were PC not hitek. I did try the hitek trick on the base but just used BLL (alox) on the boolits for that test. Didn't work or at least not conclusive. Haven't been able to shoot anything for a couple months, darned rain (flooded the range shack to the rafters - supposed to be open for pistol today, maybe), want to go tomorrow but cold & rainy again.
    You can load BO from 100gr to 240gr, very versatile case. I've got 168 GC and 185 GC Hitek'd to test in the 10" with soft alloy for pigs to test. The 145PB is for longer range from the carbine. That target show base damage, tested for that years ago in 40SW - cut a notch in the base and get a 'ring' of shots on target.
    Last edited by popper; 11-12-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

To all members, that sent me get well wishes, I am truly grateful for kindness and kind thoughts.
    I am recovering but slowly. Don't let any one tell you that Flu virus is small stuff. It nearly wiped me out.
    I don't know how I got it but it really knocked me for a six.
    I really appreciate the members sending me get well messages.
    Thank you all.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    You still alive????? I could have sworn I smelt something dead......
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    You still alive????? I could have sworn I smelt something dead......
    Brave man, your next order of hitek just got a LOT more expensive

Boolit Master

Brave man, your next order of hitek just got a LOT more expensive

He don't care, he has more product at his disposals than what I have. He built up massive stockpiles, planning ahead, in case I dropped off the perch.
    He is a cunning so and so.....

Boolit Master
    One has to be prepared for anything.
    I have enough coating to last 2 lifetimes.
    And that is just the powdered stuff.
    Don't ask about the liquid coating stored in the fridge.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Cunning indeed, sadly i'm not smart enough to plan ahead before i bite the hand that feeds me....

Good to know if i upset Joe, i have a backup, Trevor, 'ol buddy 'ol pal.....

We hope you are well nailed to the perch, you can't fall off

Boolit Master

Cunning indeed, sadly i'm not smart enough to plan ahead before i bite the hand that feeds me....

Good to know if i upset Joe, i have a backup, Trevor, 'ol buddy 'ol pal.....

We hope you are well nailed to the perch, you can't fall off

As I said he is cunning as.... always thinking.... you are battling a guy for stuff, that would not give you the steam off his dinner, tight as the proverbial….

So far, the perch is secure, no plans to check out as yet.

Having to put up with him for quite a while, my hide has armour plate hardening, and repels most all ….. now, it is almost impossible to get a rise out of me....
    Having said that, there are a few that continue to wish that I fell off the perch.....

Boolit Master
    Bit like the Norwegian Blue Parrot..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

All those years of working on construction projects with guys like Treavor has given me a thick skin, too. Now the only person that can get a rise out of me just for their fun is my wife. And I'm proud to say that she learned it from me.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    As I said he is cunning as.... always thinking.... you are battling a guy for stuff, that would not give you the steam off his dinner, tight as the proverbial….

So far, the perch is secure, no plans to check out as yet.

Having to put up with him for quite a while, my hide has armour plate hardening, and repels most all ….. now, it is almost impossible to get a rise out of me....
    Having said that, there are a few that continue to wish that I fell off the perch.....
    ****, now that sure is tight! I'll keep that in mind when i try and hit him up for a favor, i'll be sure to catch him when the planets align and he is in an awesome mood.

We have a bloke at the range that gets made fun of constantly, he has a thick hide as he knows it's all in good fun and makes him feel welcome. He tries to dish it back out, but sadly, he fails each and every time.

Boolit Master
    I'm always in an Awesome mood, when I'm pew pew pewing...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I'm always in an Awesome mood, when I'm pew pew pewing...
    No truer words have been spoken, unless your gun is having an off day, then the day contains a few too many choice 4 letter words.

Boolit Master
    Got some surprisingly good Lee 476 moulds. Testing here:TMG Gold can be double-baked to TMG Bronze. It stays tough,elastic and glossy.

It also gets a nice greenish tint when only slightly over-ripe. I really really like the quality I'm getting with this coating, I've been shooting plain base RCBS 45-325 45-70 bullets @ 2000 fps,no gas check.

Here are Lee 476:s, a 400 PB and a 325 GC.

Attachment 230432

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Got some surprisingly good Lee 476 moulds. Testing here:TMG Gold can be double-baked to TMG Bronze. It stays tough,elastic and glossy.

It also gets a nice greenish tint when only slightly over-ripe. I really really like the quality I'm getting with this coating, I've been shooting plain base RCBS 45-325 45-70 bullets @ 2000 fps,no gas check.

Here are Lee 476:s, a 400 PB and a 325 GC.

Attachment 230432
    Hello Petander,
    I am very impressed. I hate to say it but I think that the TMG Gold composite is possibly best product that is available. It is regretful that it costs so much more to produce than other coatings. But from what you and others found, it may be well worth the extra. The casts you have produced are extra ordinarily great.
    Great stuff.
    Local commercial guys who now use product here since development are extremely happy with results. Most use it for hand guns, but it looks like it is suitable for Rifle use as well. It is a shame that we have so many restrictions with guns and uses here, so I cant really get the full range of end use successes published from local reports. Thank you for publishing your findings. Please keep it up. Others greatly appreciate the benefits from your findings.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    I think you have a hit product here. I sure am a TMG convert.

TMG also doesn't mind my WW alloy contaminants. Very easy to get a tough,durable,well bonded coating. No wipe test peculiarities.

I have also found that I can apply more TMG solution per coating,even as the first coat. Two coatings cover all the lube grooves. Last time I gave 8 ml to six pounds of bullets,twice.

Page 543 of 742 FirstFirst ... 43443493533534535536537538539540541542543544545546547548549550551552553593643 ... LastLast