Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yep,looks right. My green says Zombie but I recall Trevor said it is Kryptonite green. After seein my bullet pics. Gold,Purple and Bronze behave differently,they can take more overbaking before turning dark.

It's fine,I may look at my oven / temp. But all is good,my alloy finally works after I discovered HCL wash and I'm a happy camper.

But no pics for now,I wonder why I can't upload any?
    Petander,
    I had same problem uploading pictures. I have uploaded same size pictures previously, but now, the same pictures wont load. I think that something has been done to site with data upload matters.
    With Zombie and Kryptonite greens, Zombie is darker green. If either is over baked, they darken.
    I have suspicions, that your oven may be swinging with temperatures well above set area.
    It would be interesting to know what is alloy temperature when taking them out after baking?

joe,i've made the test: if i follow the same baking recipe i apply to my old gold,my zombie green are turning black....but to me there's no drama with this fact; this specific color react as is, we live with it, the easy cure is a shorter baking time....

So I see you guys got a new prime minister, is that a good or bad thing?
    Be careful what you wish for!

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    So I see you guys got a new prime minister, is that a good or bad thing?
    he's a major ***** united nation rear end licker ,an arrogant globalist only living to sell canada to multiculturacrapp ;he's a terrorist hugger, who handed 10 millions to omar khader
    who killed us soldiers in astan.his hate for north america and americans-canadians born is so obvious,he don't even hide it.if ever he gets second term,which i highly doubts,i seriously consider to elect our VT cabin as my new home.wife is american,been married 30 years,so it would be 0 problems to call our cabin home for good. won't say more about politics, this turd just makes me wishing very horrible things his way.

as you can see,it is easy for me to pitch myself into swear filter's troubles: you only have to pronounce the word ''trudeau'',and there i go LOLOL

Boolit Master
    Kryptonite green

Zombie Green
    Last edited by Ausglock; 08-24-2018 at 03:59 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Yep,I think mine is Zombie after all. Like it says in the container.

Oven overkill somehow a bit. Anyway,all works good now, really good bullets.

Hmm,let's see about pic upload thing. I have donated but it's not showing anywhere.

Found it in FAQ: " In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board."

I must have reached a data limit. Now what? I hate those "free pic hosting" adbomber things. Can I buy more storage data here? On do I have to delete old pics? That is irritating read, this thread is full of deleted pics. That makes posts useless.

EDIT: got it figured out. To donate is not the same as to contribute.

Attachment 226024
    Last edited by Petander; 08-24-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use imgur to host my pictures. Fast, easy and free.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Just to clarify...

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Kryptonite green...

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Yep,I think mine is Zombie after all. Like it says in the container.

Oven overkill somehow a bit. Anyway,all works good now, really good bullets.

Hmm,let's see about pic upload thing. I have donated but it's not showing anywhere.

Found it in FAQ: " In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board."

I must have reached a data limit. Now what? I hate those "free pic hosting" adbomber things. Can I buy more storage data here? On do I have to delete old pics? That is irritating read, this thread is full of deleted pics. That makes posts useless.

EDIT: got it figured out. To donate is not the same as to contribute.

Attachment 226024

Petander

all I can say is.... WOW... it certainly looks like you really cook those suckers. They are now brown. I got suspicions that what temperature you are measuring is not what is actually happening.
    With the colour ending up more brown than Green, in 11 minutes, and you get failure after 8 minutes with wipe off, I cant explain reasons for this colour after 11 minutes..

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    as you can see,it is easy for me to pitch myself into swear filter's troubles: you only have to pronounce the word ''trudeau'',and there i go LOLOL
    Sorry to hear that, I was hoping it would be positive. I don't follow our politics any more then I need to let alone another country's, (none of my business anyways), it's too depressing most of the time. I'd just like the see the world heal and be a better place for all our kids, things here in the states are so different then when I was a kid, yes that was long, long ago. We were brought up to say Please, Thank You, Sir, Ma'am, hold the door for a lady and admit when we were wrong and apologize. We were taught to have pride in our country and respect those who served the community on all levels from local to national. We had entertainment that was THE funniest and all without swearing or sexual tones and our kids cartoons didn't have poopie and fart jokes in them. I'm simple country folk, they called us red necks, we played hard and were on the wild side but we also had manners and knew how to behave at appropriate times, now it's anything goes and I mean anything. I know, silly views from an old guy. Anyways, I pray for better days for all of us, back to coating boolits, didn't think I would but I really like those greens, would be perfect for the .22 Hornet, if you get my drift
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Petander

all I can say is.... WOW... it certainly looks like you really cook those suckers. They are now brown. I got suspicions that what temperature you are measuring is not what is actually happening.
    With the colour ending up more brown than Green, in 11 minutes, and you get failure after 8 minutes with wipe off, I cant explain reasons for this colour after 11 minutes..
    The brown ones to the left are bronze though. All those are excellent bullets for full house 45-70.

But yes,my temps have been higher than my probe says, just confirmed with IR meter that my boolits hit 215°C when my probe (inside a bullet,permanently in the oven) says 195°C. I have followed that 195°C max manually,never got over that. But the coated bullets get over that,I need to figure out why that is.

I just picked up a green bullet at ten minutes, underbaked it was. Hmm...? I do suspect my alloy now,the porous very dark surface sucks the first coat deep inside, as opposed to those steel-looking ones in the pic here.

Here are some of my green ones from some months ago,done with my first oven that undercooked badly quite soon after I had everything checked and set up. It lost power without me paying enough attention.

Attachment 226064

I didn't HCL wash my bullets at that time,not yet. The shiny surface gives brighter color even after a couple of coatings.
    Last edited by Petander; 08-24-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    It's the radiant heat thing.

I just tried to overload my (2000 Watt) oven, put in two five pound trays instead of the usual single tray. I turned the heat up to compensate for the initial temp drop. I turned it back after I hit 190°C.

When my probe hit 195°C I opened the door a little and measured the bullets with IR meter. Around 220-225°C every bullet.

Those trays are gold and green. They look pretty much the same,as if I had been using gold only.

Very good bullets,smash with zero flaking. I'll do a third coat with green only. Good news is ten pounds per batch!

Black cherry looks good the way I overbake:

Attachment 226075
    Last edited by Petander; 08-24-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master

It's the radiant heat thing.

I just tried to overload my (2000 Watt) oven, put in two five pound trays instead of the usual single tray. I turned the heat up to compensate for the initial temp drop. I turned it back after I hit 190°C.

When my probe hit 195°C I opened the door a little and measured the bullets with IR meter. Around 220-225°C every bullet.

Those trays are gold and green. They look pretty much the same,as if I had been using gold only.

Very good bullets,smash with zero flaking. I'll do a third coat with green only. Good news is ten pounds per batch!

Petander,
    Main reasons for uneven temperature of oven versus alloy is directly associated with poor air circulation.
    I refer back to a guy who built a flow through conveyor oven. Temperature probe showed 200C directly above tray. When tray went through, the centre of tray was uncooked,
    and edges had melted alloy.
    So there was a 100 degree plus temperature difference across same tray of alloy.
    High speed fans were installed, and presto, like magic, all projectiles were same colour and well baked in much shorter time.
    If your oven is showing 195 and alloy is at 220, you are measuring temperature at wrong spot with your probe and is not representative of what is going on. It is obvious that more heat is being concentrated onto your alloy, and is being over heated.
    In short, install a high speed fan, and may be two. Obviously you have enough heating capacity , but poor uneven heat transfer distribution from hot air to product.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    In short, install a high speed fan, and may be two. Obviously you have enough heating capacity , but poor uneven heat transfer distribution from hot air to product.
    Yep,I'm happy with the power. And I'm happy with the bullet quality. More circulation and maybe a PID might make this a good oven.

Here are ten pounds baked, gold and green. Tough coating,very tough,no flake,amazingly clean 45-70 barrel.

Attachment 226096

Boolit Master

Yep,I'm happy with the power. And I'm happy with the bullet quality. More circulation and maybe a PID might make this a good oven.

Here are ten pounds baked, gold and green. Tough coating,very tough,no flake,amazingly clean 45-70 barrel.

Attachment 226096
    Petander,
    I am glad that you have had success. If you are happy with final colour and it is working for you, that is all that is required.
    We had commercial casters cook the coating for many days at 200C. It was Black when they took it out of the oven.
    They worked perfectly, but were not original colour any more, but no smoke, no Leading and accurate.
    Sooooo, it looks all well at your end...

Boolit Master
    Yep,all is good here. This whole big boolit rifle thing is just fantastic with Hi-Tek. I hardly ever touch bare lead anymore and the savings are substantial with big bore amno.

Being what I am,I analysed my baking a bit more:

I put my cold "bullet-probe" in the oven on top of the bullets when I loaded them in. My bullets are 40-50°C when I put them in the oven,they get that warm from drying on top of another oven,in front of a fan.

Attachment 226118.

I then waited for the probe to read 195°C. It says "beep" at 195,I then open the door to keep it 195.

Attachment 226119

When I opened the door an took an IR- reading on the bullets it was way higher:

Attachment 226120

Here are the results. Excellent bullets,gold is a little dark,green is very dark.

Attachment 226121.

I found an extra fan for the oven already, the funny thing is it comes with an oven so I may try another oven next week. Used ,working ovens cost less than new spare parts. There is a huge second hand oven market, ladies follow fashion and renew kitchens every couple of years.

EDIT: Add smash pic. Perfect.

Attachment 226130
    Last edited by Petander; 08-25-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just sayin it's possible to make great bullets using contaminated mystery WW-alloy and a less than perfect oven.

Boolit Master

Just sayin it's possible to make great bullets using contaminated mystery WW-alloy and a less than perfect oven.

Petander,
    Right on the mark.
    The difficulty is, as you know, the scrap Lead industry products are highly sought by home casters for cheap source of metal.
    Proper alloy is much too expensive for people who do a lot of shooting.
    Difficulty is, that it is very hard to try to help and diagnose what is going wrong, when the full story is not known.
    Just curious, do you know, what was hardness of your mystery metal that worked with your guns?

Page 526 of 742 FirstFirst ... 26426476516517518519520521522523524525526527528529530531532533534535536576626 ... LastLast