Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 52 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152552 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 14838

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Grem. No problems. I have a Ray Pulver Stainless barrel in the Glock35 357Sig and I run coated with no problems.
    SVI Racegun also stainless. again no issues at all.

92fs??? You know what the fs stands for??? F#*&%n Schit.
    my mate has one. he just could not get a handle on it. bought an STI Edge, he is now happy and shooting 1000% better.
    awww Trev be nice, I only shot it once so far, the last 10 rnd mag put 4 holes in the 9/10 zone 3 round ones and one large jagged one just to the right of centre, that will do me fine thnx.

Ask your mate if he wants to flog off any mags for it, cant locate any 2nd handies up here.
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 08-28-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: additional sentance
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    There's a little more respect here up north for the 92 FS. Been used by our military for decades. Second only to the 1911, as far as number of active years in service. I have four, and they routinely out shoot my glock shooting buddies. ��
    I like you , my wife tells me she wants a S&W 1911 pro series... told her all good as long as its 9mm so we don't have to piss with different reloads.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day and welcome to the mad house.

As they say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    HI-TEK says Acetone. I use acetone.
    Acetone is easier to get than Lacquer thinners.

Read page 19 post 366 (I think) and follow the steps
    Awesome thanks! I ended up giving the klean strip lacquer thinner a try. It actually worked great. The coating coverage seemed more full bodied and smoother. The finished bullet was smoother too. Coating hardness was about the same. They did feel a little smoother through the sizer die as well. Now, just gotta load some and shoot

Banned

novolochenko

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Hi,
    You may be lucky, and your caster may not have used any mold releases, then, projectiles would be clean, straight out of mold.
    This is a problem that has not occurred here for many years, and, commercial casters all know not to use any thing that would interfere with coating.
    Some do use the 500plus release agent which is Ok with mold release, and not interfere with coating methods.
    Please send me an update as you can about your supplier use of mold release agents.

Got lucky, the caster does not use release agents and will provide unsized/unlubed. Now just got to wait for them to arrive and try again. Also confirmed that the caster that Gunoil recommended will do the same, also with no release agents. If no sizing/lubing, he will provide a $5/M discount.

Boolit Grand Master

thompsoncustom, that is centigrade, not farenheit. Cook at 375 degrees F.

popper, yes, there is a much greater resistance to pushing a patch thru the bore after firing Hi-Tek coating than with jacketed or wax based boolits. I may mix in a little moly and see if that helps with the friction.

I also found you do not want to shoot a Hi-Tek coated boolit at low velocity like target loads in the 38 Spl. or 32 S&W. My recommendation is if you would not fire jacketed at the chosen low velocity don't fire a HT coated boolit. They tend to not exit the bore.

Boolit Master
    A lot of Centerfire/sports pistol shooters here use coated bullets (DEWC) in 32s&w at low velocity with no problem. they are loading something like 1.2gr of AP-30 or something silly like that. You can almost hear the bullet puffing as it runs downrange.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Cast around 300 today in the lovely weather 90 degrees here but I made sure they were all nice and frosted hoping to help the coating stick better. Also changed tumbling tubs and I fell like they setup like they should or atleast like the Bayou bullets instruction said they would. Gonna start baking here in a couple mins.

Banned

Leadman, i disagree with pistol. I think they brush out real nice ,easy, clean, really quick. Dont know about rifles.

Now, i need some tips on 40s&w for my carbine. Some said they had problems coating 40?

Boolit Master
    Gunslick. 40 is no harder than 9mm etc etc. Just don't use the Lee carbide factory crimp die.
    Ask me how I know..........
    I did go back to 5-1-7 for the 40cal with the red/copper. 2 coats.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

ok ausglock, i have dillon 9mm crimp die . OK and lee seat die, that'll work.

Well took 100rd's of the frosted bullets I casted and coated them with a 5-1-5 ratio 2 coats 4 mls each coat and shot 20 of them last night. Still looking good I pulled the barrel and it didn't seem to have any leading tho a patch will tell the whole store.

Now I wonder why the 5-1-5 ratio works for me in both my guns but the 5-1-10 doesn't work in anything of mine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Well took 100rd's of the frosted bullets I casted and coated them with a 5-1-5 ratio 2 coats 4 mls each coat and shot 20 of them last night. Still looking good I pulled the barrel and it didn't seem to have any leading tho a patch will tell the whole store.

Now I wonder why the 5-1-5 ratio works for me in both my guns but the 5-1-10 doesn't work in anything of mine.
    Hi,
    Generally, it is better to multi-coat with thin applications each time.
    Using the more diluted mixture, and applying it say a total of 3 times, actually uses less coating and you also get much better multi layer and more even coverage.
    I am not sure why you had problems, but it is easy to diagnose if testing is done after each coat, and especially after first coat.

Many use thinner and more diluted coating mix, because it seems to dry much quicker, less touch marks on finished products, and much smoother more even film and easier sizing.

As you may be aware, applying thicker coats makes sizing more difficult as film is extremely tough.

I try to make comparison of film to a sheet of glass. If 1/4 inch thick, and you try and flex, the material explodes, However, a very thin film or fiber is made from same glass, it becomes very pliable and much more flexible.

Similarities can be drawn with the coatings to such phenomena.

I am not saying the coating is hard as glass, but it seems to work the same way.

The difficulty is also that each user has their own coating system/methods , and they do vary somewhat with amounts being coated, size of container, amount of coating mixture being used, weather conditions etc.
    So I think that there is also some variability with coating techniques being used by people which they adapt to their conditions to suit their own needs.

Unfortunately much of this is a learning curve for people until they develop their own system to get desired results.
    The coatings work, but as noticed, you can get some variations with the way it is used also.
    Happy to assist with any problematic areas and would appreciate your requests.

Banned

Thumbs up

What he⬆said.

Agree with that Hi-Tek, like lite thin stain coats. Ausglock gave me recipe for my carbine/40s&w. I'll do 2 or 3 thin stain coatings. Thanks.
    Last edited by gunoil; 08-29-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Banned

TC , come on man,, how do you measure your first coat ? 4 mls, what do you have , an atomic micro-meter. Still sounds like your thick! Your first baking should be thin, all mine are. Least your not getting leading. Either recipe would work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post

Good job.

So long as you get the results you are after, it doesn't matter what mix you use. I have gone back to using 5-1-7 as the 5-1-10 was giving problems with some coatings.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Having read this entire thread and placing an order through Donnie, my question is how long after the first coating comes out of the oven do you wait before the acetone/crush test?
    Great thread, great forum, thanks to all who contribute.
    For some reason, Islamists are the only racist, sexist, homophobic theocrats the media can't summon outrage against.

I just wait till it's cool than preform the test.

TC , come on man,, how do you measure your first coat ? 4 mls, what do you have , an atomic micro-meter. Still sounds like your thick! Your first baking should be thin, all mine are. Least your not getting leading. Either recipe would work.
    Lol like I said I work for a vet clinic so I have tons of needle and syringes just lying around. I use a syringe to measure exactly how much liquid I pull from each bottle color/acetone/cat. I figure the best way to have repeatable results is to know exactly how much of everything i'm using down to the Unit

Also I agree it does seem thick but so far this is the only thing working, I might try less mixed coating for the first coat and do three coats total on the next batch.

Are you guys just eyeballing the measurements?
    Last edited by Thompsoncustom; 08-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was measuring, But now eyeball it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

TC, i dont care what they say about you, you are alrite. Hey cant hurt to use the micro syringe. Dead on is dead on! I just use a plastic teaspoon 5-1 then the last acetone bath washes all down good. How bout cooking in air-pellet mashed in HP? hehehe I know the swaging guys have started swageing in air-pellets in their projectiles. I have poly molds i make from hobby lobby stuff then pour plastic into them. I sell db9 grip plugs on ebay.

Ausglock, how does black look? Like a talon?

Page 52 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152552 ... LastLast